Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Jack

I don't mind the idea of an Air Race, Draytons is actually really good fun :D
nemefan08

Sounds good, when I went to pleasure beach I thought it needed a new flat, they are delivering :O
Tom

I'm pretty certain that it will be an Air Race, possibly themed around the Red Arrows or similar.

It's a bit of a disappointment, they are well over due a new roller coaster.
Jamie

"Sky Force" will be a Gerstlauer Sky Fly.
http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/what- ... -1-6911226" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very excited for this, and it's good to see BPB building something that is unique to the UK.
Danny

Looks great! Ive seen lots of videos on these and thought the look fun. I find the Sky Roller better looking but this is still an exciting unique ride for the UK.
Ryan.B

Knew it! Thought it was a sky roller which you could manually invert though.
Aidan Lowe

Better than another air race, looking forward to it :D
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
nemefan08

Blackpool pleasure beach is reaching for the skies with a brand new ride for 2015.

There is great article explains the ride at blackpoolpleasurebeach.com click on blog then click on the picture of the ride. Looks like pleasure beach is going for an interesting new ride. I personally can't wait.
themealgang

This is one ride I didn't expect Pleasure Beach to be getting... A Gerstleaur Sky Fly!

I, like most, was almost convinced it was going to be an Air Race and how wrong most of us were. Personally, I think it's a great choice of attraction. Thrilling, interactive and highly impressive. I think what's also promising is the theme. A Red Arrows themed ride sounds incredible and if you go by the concept art we will be in for quite a good looking ride next year.

Good choice Pleasure Beach. May it be the first of many new thrill rides to come in the coming season.

*awaits new roller coaster...* :D
Alex

Taken from the Daily Mail

A father is being kept alive on a life support machine after a freak accident on a theme park ride left him paralysed.

Robert Sycamore, 58, broke his neck while riding on the Grand National at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

Mr Sycamore had taken his great-nephew on his first ride of the day when Harry Parlour, 13, came back screaming.
Mr Sycamore was found in the bottom of the carriage with his neck broken.

Darren Parlour, Mr Sycamore's nephew, said: 'My son was with him and he's come back screaming.

'Rob's a big bloke and he was down in the footwell of the carriage.

'His ear was on his shoulder and he was totally blue and black.

'His neck snapped - the muscles collapsed and he's just melted into the seat.

'I climbed in with Rob and was holding his head so it didn't move.

'The emergency services were unbelievable - how he stayed alive, I dont know.'

The JCB driver is currently on a life support machine to keep his heart and lungs functioning and doctors have told the family he will not be able to use his body.

Mr Parlour added: 'The surgeon said they can only take things minute by minute but any use of his body is a definite no. The main concern now is keeping his heart and lungs going. We dont know how it happened or why it happened. We don't blame anyone, we are just shocked. We don't know if he hit his head - only time will tell.'

Mr Parlour lives in Ipswich with his wife Sylvia and the family are now having to face a 700 mile round trip to visit him at the Royal Preston Hospital.

A fire damaged three rides, including the Grand National (centre), in May 2004 and the ride opened that October

A spokesman for North West Ambulance Service said: 'We got a call at 12.40pm on Friday to a male patient in his 50s at Blackpool Pleasure Beach with potential neck injuries.'

A Lancashire Fire and Rescue spokesman confirmed crews had been sent to assist paramedics.

The Grand National wooden rollercoaster was first designed in 1935 and remains one of just three rides of its kind left in the world.

It is a twin track ride which sees two trains 'compete' with each other on parallel 6,600ft tracks at speeds of up to 50mph.

The ride is 62ft high and rides last just under two-and-a-half minutes. It is themed around the Grand National, with riders racing through Beecher's Brook and ending at the Winner's Post.

In May 2004 it was badly damaged by a fire along with two other rides at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. It was repaired and returned back to service in October that year.
Dom

According to the Blackpool Gazette Mr Parlous suffered from spondylitis which is the inflammation of the vertebrae in the back.

Here is the article - http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/ ... -1-6920196" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is such a sad story though. My thoughts are with the family
Ryan.B

It's just shocked me, it's a horrible thing to have happen and all my thoughts go out to the family, i think it's due to the spondylitis more than the actual ride itself, really bad press for anyone that sees it really as most people won't click on it and just carry on the perception that Wooden Coasters are unsafe. I don't believe it was withers fault as their isn't anything wrong with the ride itself and there isn't much signage around saying able out it, as far as I'm aware most people don't read the signs, it's a terrible thing to happen and could possibly affect both parties as it's bad for Blackpool with that headline but it just came out of the blue. :cry:
TomL

Blackpool Gazette have written an article about the new Gerstlauer Sky Fly, Skyforce set to open in spring. The article is a bit of an update on construction and also has some of the ride specifications. This looks like it could be a really great little investment for the park.

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/ ... -1-7088542
TheBeast

Well I took a few pics of the construction site today, and I daresay its safe to say nothing has been done. Ill post the pics when I can
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
Aidan Lowe

Testing has begun, footage from TPW: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I personally wished they kept Bling, but hey ho it had its day.
Benjsh85

Looks a top ride. The reports on the same models in other parks across Europe are very positive.

I also loved Bling. It was a seriously good flat. Had a bit of everything to it and was always a good laugh. Trouble is, the maintenance on it apparently took it's toll on the park I was reading the other day. They couldn't wait to see back of it in the end. Real shame.
Zach

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a great video, shows you the engineers testing the ride themselves ( I reckon they couldnt wait to ride it) but they give it a real go getting it to spin :) Going to be a solid ride this, with a red arrows fly over for the opening!
Aidan Lowe

Soft opening today. TPW reporting from Twitter.
Ryan.B

Wonder how many inversions is possible on the average cycle, very unique, most anticipated in the UK for 2015!
Aidan Lowe

Judging by this guy " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I would say 70-80 inversions is easily done in a 3 minute cycle which seems to be roughly the ride time.

Only problem with this ride is I don't think many people will know how to invert themselves correctly, at least non-enthusiasts.