Cedar Point

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Sazzle

There's no point in adding pictures if the image is constantly changing - it renders what you're posting useless!

I see yet again the American's are out to snatch whatever record they can get their hands on, Cedar Point are just being greedy if you ask me :roll:
Williscroft

The seats have now been attached by the looks of things :) Id say it wont be long before we see testing as now they just need to pave the area and fence it off and then wire it up and id say they would be done. :)

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/inside ... amera3.cfm

Also you can tell its at Cedar Point from their colour choise lol, they always go for bright and bold colours dont they. All the offical construction pictures including pictures of the attached seats can be found here

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/inside ... uction.cfm
HighExtreme

Continental Airlines fly direct to Cleveland Hopkins Airport from London Gatwick

The great advantage of flying to a smaller airport like Cleveland is you don't get the massive queues to get through secruity checks, like you have in the larger airports like philadelphia (closest international airport to Six flags Great Adventure) When we flew to Philadelphia a few years back we planned to spend the late afternoon and evening at Moreys Piers but it took almost four hours from getting off the plane, to get through the checks and out of the airport! So we couldnt go in the end :(

From Cleveland it takes just over two hours to drive to Sandusky,

For anybody going to Cedar Point i recommend you check the actual park opening times, as it has a very short operating calender, its generally open May to the first monday in Sepetmber (Labour Day public holiday in US) then weekends until the halloween event in October

We did this holiday 2 years ago now, had a great week, other parks we visited were Paramounts Kings Island (5 hours drive) we then stayed last 2 days in Arkon outskirts of Cleveland (so be close to airport on last day) and visited Geauga Lake (30mins) and Kennywood in Pittsburg (3 hours drive)

We did the parks of New Jersey (6 Flags Great Adventure), Eastern Pennsylvania (Dorney Park, Knoebels, Hersheypark, Williams Grove), Virginia (Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Paramounts Kings Dominion) and Maryland (Six Flags America) on a previous holiday and i'd say that Cedar Point is quite a long drive from Six Flags Great Adventure, i'd suggest looking at internal connecting flights to reduce the nightmare of driving such great distances

RCDB has always been useful if you look up a park then select "exisiting parks nearby" you can search the parks not too far away, and using the fantastic yahoo maps tool work out how long it would take to drive to other parks so you dont end up travelling too far

Sadly mate a theme park holiday in America (outside of Florida) is going to be expensive but i really recommend saving up and getting out there because it's such an amazing experience
TerrorTech

Rory,

My wife and I did a coaster trip last May, the previous posters are correct.
The quickest route is to fly into Cleveland, a quick bus run to the airport car hire depot then a very simple 2hour drive to Sandusky.

A couple of things- you cannot book the Hotel Breakers (the hotel on the Cedar Point spit) online from the UK, you will have to book over the phone. Worth it though 1hours ERT on Dragster, Millenium Force and Maxair!

If you don't want to drive - it will be very difficult

Also consider carefully the parks opening dates. Cedar Point has a very limited open season unlike UK parks which are open end March to Oct.
In reality Cedar Point is only open during the peak summer months Mid-May to end of Aug. So forget September unless you visit over the Halloween event

We also did Gauga Lake (great) and Kings Island (not so great) - then flew on from Cincinnati to LA

It might be worth waiting until next year (as rumours continue of a new B&M flyer) This year the only new ride they have is SkyHawk (Like Thorpe's 'rush' attraction)

Save up your cash and go for it, the view of the park as you drive onto the jetty from the mainland will leave you speachless :shock:

TerrorTech
http://community.webshots.com/user/terrortech
Williscroft

Well as most of you probably know Cedar Point have been building the world biggest swing (like rush at Thorpe Park but obviously bigger). Well the park opens on Saturday for the 2006 season and Skyhawk has been testing for quite a few days now and looks very impressive.

Today 40 lucky people got to try out Skyhawk before the park opens to the public on Saturday. Already Cedar Point has got a video up of the ride along with riders (now that’s what you call good site up dates lol)

You can watch it here at www.cedarpoint.com watch the flash advert type things on the home page and wait for Skyhawk to appear, then in the bottom right corner there’s a link to watch the video.

Also the way I’ve seen it testing is on a live web cam which you can control yourself to see many areas of the park which can be found here www.funcoast.com click on Funcam and to control the camera you have to choose the high bandwidth option.

Enjoy :D
AstroDan

How much taller than Rush is it? As to be honest, a few feet here and there won't really make any difference unless you're a records freak :P

Rush was a great sensation, but frankly it's FAR too short. Infact, it was terribly short!

I would like to go to the park though, they have a great coaster selection.
Last edited by AstroDan on Thu May 04, 2006 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iriderides101

skyhawk is 103 feet off the ground and rush is height but rush and apparantly rush is 65 feet high but i am not sure if that is right
Matt 125

Willscroft, I can't control the camera. . . it just moves a few cm's then back and say I will be able to control it in however much time. Also the zoom isn't working!

Matt :D
Williscroft

You have to wait in a queue with everyone else that uses it. If you click the low one you can only watch it being controlled by others and i think it updates arround every 30 seconds.

Go on the high one which is basicaly live as it seems to ypdate every 2-3 seconds and wait in the queue and there is a slight delay so click once on something and wait about 5 seconds and it should then move for you :)

Quite a bog height difference then isnt it if those are the correct numbers. :)
AstroDan

Well if Skyhawk is 103ft and Rush is 65ft then Skyhawk is gonna be completely massive compared to Rush! I just hope the ride is longer.!
Williscroft

Well i don't know what Rush is like but it appears that Skyhawk does 3 full height swings before slowing down. Personal i think it looks an extremely fun and thrilling ride but a little bit to short.
Matt 125

Rush basically does the same, but if the ride is that much taller the build up to the highest point is either really long or fast!

I would love to ride it but I don't think I will ever get a chance to go to Cedar Point!

Matt :D
iriderides101

I have found some track delivery pictures of their mystery ride commning in 2007
http://www.pointbuzz.com/news.htm?id=900

It seems that the track is intamin but it could be a hoax the park has set up to mislead entusiasts i mean does anyone think CP would construct another accelerator is there a new coaster intamin have not yet unveiled any thoughts? :?:
Last edited by iriderides101 on Thu May 31, 2007 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Williscroft

Yup, saw some other pictures the other day of track being covered up, looks interesting. I love following constructions at Cedar Point as you know your going to get something impressive. Some more pictures and videos can be found here http://www.funcoast.com/index/11583/#media also this site is very good for seeing Cedar Point throughout the year as you can controll a webcam.

Cant wait to see construction start now :D
Ash

Wow! Certainly looks interesting. 500ft! Now thats high, well its an Intamin all right, i just wonder what its going to do exactly. I think i might go to have some more rooting around.
John

Interesting, that piece of track looks like a very slightly sloping upwards piece rather than a corner or part of an inversion (could be wrong obviously!), it also seems too gentle to be a piece pulling out of a drop. One of the other sections looks like part of an inline twist or a vertical spiral.

If they didn't have one already, I'd say they were building a rocket coaster
Williscroft

Or could they be exstending a rocket :?: Ive always thought since TTD lost its record to Kingda Ka would the park ever concider exstending TTD. Probably not but it just made me think with them having the new track colour looking so much like TTD :)
iriderides101

They could exstend TTD or it could be a hoax i mean cedar point could use some intamin track hoping every reconises it as intamin but realy they could be building a B&M or S&S or whatever i could be wrong but i hate the idea of another rocket coaster because i mean looking at intamin roller coasters i can see that CP would buy is a multi looper or a SLC (highley unlikely) or a new coaster design may be intamins attempt at a 4d Coaster
AstroDan

I am getting bored of Rocket Coasters. They are the 'fashion' at the moment across the world. I would like some new designs to appear!
Wez

Cedar Point have registered a new trademark with the US government:

"Maverick" will be used for a huge amount of merchandise and signage in the park next year. It is assumed that this will be the name of the new creation.

Whatever that ride is, it's going to be huge. :)
The best, most informed enthusiast EVER!!111