Cedar Point

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Ladyofthelake

Steel Vengeance has been confirmed to have operated on one train today, with the Park handing guests boarding cards with a time window on to enter the queue. All of these passes had been distributed by around 1pm local time.

I have to say I am surprised that the ride is open again so soon, although it perhaps would be wrong to speculate on exactly what the Park's own revew of yesterday's incident has found and the reasons for the swift re-opening. Given how popular the ride is with guests, we now need to hope it returns to at least two train operation over the course of the coming weeks.
Justin

I'd still ride it - it looks incredible and it is certainly on my list as one coaster to ride!.

I'm sure they have done all the nessercery checks to ensure it meets health and safety requirements. Also with RMC being on site, then issues can be dealt with swiftly. While it shouldn't have happened, luckily it was a small incident! Coasters will have them, and you only have to look at The Smiler on its opening day!
Ladyofthelake

Cedar Point have issued an update on Steel Vengeance via their blog.

They have confirmed that the ride will operate on one train whilst RMC make adjustments to the ride. To cope with the extended wait times the Park have said they may issue boarding passes which will give people a return time with them posting on Twitter if this is being put on place. Steel Vengeance has also been removed from Fastlane + for now.
AltonOperator

Steel Vengeance is back on 2 trains after the ‘bump’ and has been reintroduced to the Fastlane+ programme
Thanks Jack
Ladyofthelake

I was fortunate enough to be able to ride Steel Vengeance last week and all I can say is wow! The coaster is just incredible no matter where you sit, although I would say that the ride I had at 11pm at night was definitely the most intense. From the start to the end there is very little let up, it's just one thing after another, but at the same time it doesn't feel too much. I was glad we had Fastlane + though. The main line never really dropped below two hours, even during early entry the ride had queues of at least an hour, so having Fastlane+ meant we were able to get a good 6 rides in.

In terms of operations, the ride was still operating two trains, although during the time I was there all three trains, Chess, Digger, and Blackjack, were in use which suggests they are now all signed off for use, but most likely Cedar Point need to do some re-programming of the ride in conjunction with RMC to be able to run a three train operation. Given the queues it definitely needs to be able to have the ability to run a three train operation, however I do believe Cedar Point have made the right decision to run it on two trains for the time being during the busy summer period to ensure the ride remains operational rather than risk it having extended downtime.

One tip for anyone who may be going to Cedar Point is that many of the newer coasters do not have baggae holds on the ride - either before or on the station. You have to leave any bags or loose items in a locker. At $2 a time for a single use locker, costs can soon add up. However, you do have the option of paying $10 for a transferrable locker so you can hire one at say Steel Vengeance, then as long as you move it to a different ride before it expires (for example if your Steel Vengeance locker expires at 1pm, you'd need to transfer it to say Top Thrill Dragster before 1pm), then the expiry automatically extends so you effectively have a locker all day.
Swarm Chris

Ladyofthelake wrote:I was fortunate enough to be able to ride Steel Vengeance last week and all I can say is wow! The coaster is just incredible no matter where you sit, although I would say that the ride I had at 11pm at night was definitely the most intense. From the start to the end there is very little let up, it's just one thing after another, but at the same time it doesn't feel too much.
This does sound and look like a fantastic ride. It's entire design philosophy seems to be the opposite of other manufacturers. It looks like every piece of track is meant to have a purpose. I'm intrigued as to whether you can mentally picture the ride after having been on, or with so much going on you'd need a few more rides to reasonably remember it all?

Of all the other rides in the park, funnily the one I'm next most curious about is Iron Dragon. For me that one has a real nostalgic pull, having grown up with the original Vampire trains. I always remember the original cars being more forceful than the current ones, and certainly having more presence with their sheer size and noise they made. Did you get to go on it and if so, how does it compare with the Vampire, especially the original version if you rode that?

The lockers sound a little overly complicated, with having to move before your time is up to reset it.
Ladyofthelake

Swarm Chris wrote:
Ladyofthelake wrote:I was fortunate enough to be able to ride Steel Vengeance last week and all I can say is wow! The coaster is just incredible no matter where you sit, although I would say that the ride I had at 11pm at night was definitely the most intense. From the start to the end there is very little let up, it's just one thing after another, but at the same time it doesn't feel too much.
This does sound and look like a fantastic ride. It's entire design philosophy seems to be the opposite of other manufacturers. It looks like every piece of track is meant to have a purpose. I'm intrigued as to whether you can mentally picture the ride after having been on, or with so much going on you'd need a few more rides to reasonably remember it all?
The first half of the ride you can reasonably keep track of where you are. The second half is much quicker and it took a good 3/4 rides for me to figure out what was going on, even then it was still tricky for me to remember it all.
Swarm Chris wrote:Of all the other rides in the park, funnily the one I'm next most curious about is Iron Dragon. For me that one has a real nostalgic pull, having grown up with the original Vampire trains. I always remember the original cars being more forceful than the current ones, and certainly having more presence with their sheer size and noise they made. Did you get to go on it and if so, how does it compare with the Vampire, especially the original version if you rode that?
Iron Dragon was a fun ride, and I did quite enjoy it. Sadly I never got to ride Vampire when it had its original trains so can't really say how it compares.
Swarm Chris wrote:The lockers sound a little overly complicated, with having to move before your time is up to reset it.
The lockers are very simple - I've probably just not explained them very well!
Swarm Chris

Ladyofthelake wrote: The first half of the ride you can reasonably keep track of where you are. The second half is much quicker and it took a good 3/4 rides for me to figure out what was going on, even then it was still tricky for me to remember it all.
I really hope someone closer to home builds a ride like this. I get the impression you could ride it a few times and get different experiences, or notice different things each time.
Ladyofthelake wrote: Iron Dragon was a fun ride, and I did quite enjoy it.
Very good to hear! :D
Ladyofthelake wrote: The lockers are very simple - I've probably just not explained them very well!
Probably more to do with my general aversion to lockers with timers on! :P
Swarm Chris

Theme Park Insider are reporting that Steel Vengeance has closed this afternoon, apparently due to a drive tyre from the brake run snapping off.
A Facebook user posted to a Cedar Point fan group that it appeared a drive wheel snapped and hit a brake fin, bending it. The wheel then fell into the queue area, which snakes underneath the ride. No confirmation of those details from the park yet, though readers in the park report that ride ops are saying they expect an extended downtime. No injuries have been reported.
A picture of the wheel has surfaced, from a private Facebook group. The image can be found in this Reddit comment.

Edit: It was repaired and reopened for the final hour or so of the evening.
JC13

At least it reopened the same day. It’s such a shame Steel Vengeance has had a bad start. First was the bump, then the 1 train service for ages, then the phone policy, then the hot sauce incident, and now this. Hopefully this is the last major issue for the ride
PhNx Survivor

Think they need to shut the ride down.. do a full re-test and maintenance check from RMC themselves, then re-open to the public when ready.

The ride is having a lot of problems that shouldn’t be happening.. even with the reputation RMC have, I understand there will always be technical issues and small gimmicks to sort out.. but these problems are worrying..

I can see something happening to this ride at some point.. I hope not, and I hope this is it for the major issues.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
JC13

PhNx Survivor wrote:Think they need to shut the ride down.. do a full re-test and maintenance check from RMC themselves, then re-open to the public when ready.

The ride is having a lot of problems that shouldn’t be happening.. even with the reputation RMC have, I understand there will always be technical issues and small gimmicks to sort out.. but these problems are worrying..

I can see something happening to this ride at some point.. I hope not, and I hope this is it for the major issues.
I agree with this, but i think they should wait until the season ends, as they then have months to be able to do it, without worrying about guest complaints
PhNx Survivor

JC13 wrote:
PhNx Survivor wrote:Think they need to shut the ride down.. do a full re-test and maintenance check from RMC themselves, then re-open to the public when ready.

I agree with this, but i think they should wait until the season ends, as they then have months to be able to do it, without worrying about guest complaints
Guest complaints are annoying I agree.. but safety is priority, as long as things don’t go worse from here.. then I agree the end of season needs to have a redo.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Ladyofthelake

Cedar Point have today confirmed that Dinosaurs Alive will be closing for good on 9th September to make way for their 2019 addition.

In a blog post shared via their social media channels, the park have announced that summer 2019 will see Forbidden Frontier on Adventure Island open in place of Dinosaurs Alive. Not uch has been revealed about exactly what this new attraction will be, although from the sounds of things, it will be more of an interactive experience as opposed to a ride:
FORBIDDEN FRONTIER on ADVENTURE ISLAND
Grab your map and prepare for a minute-by-minute real-life adventure, where you and others are challenged, questioned and pushed to the limits in both brain and brute power. Be immersed in interactive encounters with the island inhabitants, push yourself with physically active challenges that test your resourcefulness and fortitude! It's your job to discover and uncover all that you can; to solve the mystery surrounding the Forbidden Frontier, and return to tell the tale. Every ending is different and determined by you and the secrets you unlock!

The secrets of the Forbidden Frontier will be revealed as we unlock the adventure map, so come back to this page for updates and new surprises. The Forbidden Frontier on Adventure Island opens Summer, 2019.
It's going to be interesting to see just how much of an area Forbidden Frontier covers, especially given that the nearby Witches Wheel attraction is also closing which suggests they may be utiising that space too. From what little we know so far, it does seem like it have the potential to be a very interesting addition to the park, and something different to add to the Park's repetoire.
Dungeon-X-Smile

This new attraction sounds amazing!! At Knotts Berry Farm (another Cedar Fair owned park) they have this yearly attraction where they fill their old frontier town with actors, and you have to solve mysteries, and it's so much fun. But the area its held in was created before any attraction in the park. I can't wait to see what Cedar Point does when using this concept at the base of an attraction. It could be one of the most immersive attractions in their line up, rivaling Disney or Universal!
Ladyofthelake

For the first time since opening, Steel Vengeance is running a three train operation! Hopefully this will help reduce queue times for the ride, and with the Park's Halloween even coming up will help add what will be much needed capacity.

Source:FYE Coaters on Facebook
Swarm Chris

Cedar Point have announced they will be shutting early today due to unprecedented rain.

Seems to be some concern that there is a coastal flood warning.