Cedar Point

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

At the start of this year the Sandusky Register received a memo which outlined a B&M dive coaster proposal for Cedar Point, initiating rumours that this would be the park's 2016 addition.

It contained the following facts:
  • 223 foot tall lift hill
  • 3625 feet of track
  • Maximum speed of 80 mph
  • 3 x 24-passenger trains (8 people per row)
  • Vertical drop into a tunnel
  • 4 inversions – Immelmann, 270 degree roll, unknown “looping” element, and another Immelmann
  • Cost: $15 million
A few months ago Cedar Point then filed for the trademark of 'Valravn' which immediately became the suspected name for the new ride. According to Wikipedia, "in Danish folklore, a valravn (Danish "raven of the slain") is a supernatural raven. The ravens appear in traditional Danish folksongs, where they are described as originating from ravens who consume the bodies of the dead on the battlefield, as capable of turning into the form of a knight after consuming the heart of a child, and, alternately, as half-wolf and half-raven creatures."

Then in June, signs with information on each of Cedar Point's coasters began to be added to one of the construction walls which surround the site. Since then, they have been added chronologically, with the latest addition being Maverick, leaving only Gatekeeper and Rougarou to be added before a potential announcement.

Finally, only yesterday were photos taken at B&M's Ohio plant which show burnt orange coloured track with a grey underside and supports, which appears to have the larger dive coaster spine. It is thought that this could be headed for Cedar Point, although of course that is yet to be confirmed.

[align=center]Image

Image[/align]
Looking at the supposed statistics above, this could be the biggest dive coaster in every sense, so it shall be an exciting project to watch!
Aidan Lowe

I shall be keeping a keen eye on this one, sounds amazing.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Capt.Barnacles

The boards have been updated recently with GateKeeper and Pipe Scream, meaning just Rougarou is left for the existing coasters, and then hopefully the new one! :)
Jack

A couple more photos of the track up close that in my opinion confirm it is dive machine track. :)

(credit to The Coaster Studios Facebook)
Ryan.B

On Jacks bottom image, does anyone know what the red track next to the dark orange/brownish track is for, looks like wing rider track to me.
Capt.Barnacles

It's rumoured to be Wing Coaster track for Hot Go park in China.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Rougarou stalled just be fore the final brake run on Thursday evening, with all riders being safely evacuated from both the valleyed train and the train which was stopped at the top of the lift hill.

[align=center]Image[/align]
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Rougarou has been added to the wall, although there's yet to be any word on an announcement.

[align=center]Image[/align]
Source: CP Rundown Facebook
Jack

I think we will see another section with a "what next?" sort of thing, and it will change following the announcement which I can only imagine will be in the coming weeks :)
ponder

Along with a decent modern woody, a dive machine is pretty much the only major coaster type that Cedar Point doesn't have, so it makes a lot of sense.

Does anyone know what time of year Cedar Point tend to open new attractions? Is it Spring / early Summer like most, or do they hold them back until peak period (late July/August time)? I'm factoring Cedar Point in to a Canada/North America trip, probably May/June time next year. Would be awesome if this was open. If not... well, there's plenty else to do. :lol
Jack

Typically new rides are opened in May for Cedar Point (with that being when the park opens and all), but I would try and get it in as late as possible to be sure it is open :)
Capt.Barnacles

I'm seeing two possibilities here, either RMC themselves are keeping it a surprise and haven't mentioned interest shown by Cedar Point in a potential Mean Streak conversion (which apparently is desperately needed according to some of my friends stateside), or the B&M dive coaster everyone's talking about. Either way I'll be very happy, and I'm expecting to see something soon as Cedar Point have a habit of announcing stuff unusually early. After all Mantis was announced as being converted to a floorless coaster in September! So hopefully not long to wait till we hear what's going to happen :)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

There are rumours that whatever it is will be announced in August, which would be around the same time as Gatekeeper's announcement.
Capt.Barnacles

More track has appeared outside at Clermont. As well as being large B&M track, the straight lift hill track has a support connection at 45 degrees, this further backs up that it's for a dive coaster.

Source: Coaster Studios Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Coaster- ... 0432592949" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Capt.Barnacles

More photos from Clermont showing what looks like a lift hill base with an extended spine, similar to GateKeeper's. More track is appearing outside, along with some unpainted track in the background.

More importantly, Cedar Point posted this image hinting towards something happening on the 18th August. Announcement for Valravn maybe?

Clermont photos source: http://forum.nolimits-exchange.com/comm ... 22#Item_14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Adam.W

Sounds like they're going to announce the dive coaster, considering they normally announce in August, with the track, and with the Valravn trademark. Looking forward to hearing what they have to say.
themealgang

Having ridden some of the newest B&M Dive Coasters (Oblivion: The Black Hole most recently... which is fantastic, by the way) and of course the classics such as our beloved Oblivion, I think it's fair to say the Dive Machine is most probably B&M's most intense product on offer. My only criticism is that that layouts always seem to be (slightly) predicable and short; despite providing such an intense rush.

This is where I think Cedar Point, yet again, will completely change the game. From what we've seen thus far, their 2016 Dive Coaster (which, lets face it, it most probably is going to be) looks INCREDIBLE. Especially coming along with four inversions and such an incredible first drop.

I also visited Cedar Point back in 2013 and was blown away with what they had to offer. Maverick stole the show, by the way. I'll look forward to following the developments of this coaster.
Capt.Barnacles

Funny this ride should be brought up, I've just seen that Cedar Point have reportedly accidentally released a VR app very similar to The Smiler's game, that has leaked Valravn's logo and layout. What do we think? Real deal or another Cedar Fair hoax like Centurion?

Source: Screamsource Instagram " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lewis97
Admin
Admin

It's intriguing, but it seems there's always some sort of 'leak' in the run up to a Cedar Fair announcement. I can't believe that they'd accidentally release the app knowing that it contained Valravn, so this is probably that token 'leak'.

It's more a question of whether what's there is genuine or fake, as we've previously seen things like Banshee and Fury 325's actual layouts ahead of their announcement. The logo seems to me like it has a good chance of being genuine, but I'm perhaps more sceptical about the layout. I guess we'll just have to wait 10 more days and see...
lewis97
Admin
Admin

So someone posted this link over on TPR - http://imgur.com/a/mvfRv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - although I'm not quite sure where the images themselves came from and so can't judge their genuineness. Anyway, here's what's on the other end...

[align=center]Image

Image[/align]