SeaWorld Orlando

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
MakoMania

SEAS CEO Joel Manby is out, he is temporarily replaced by John Reilly, former president of SeaWorld San Diego and Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

Manby helped to begin the repositioning of the brand of the SeaWorld parks from Killer Whale shows towards animal conservation and rescue. That has had positive results, but not fast enough clearly.

It is not certain what strategy the company will take next, but I am sure that we are going to see agressive investment in new rides, animal exhibits and other attractions.

Interestingly though, the company beat their own EBITDA forcasts for the year of 2017 and have had a strong start to 2018.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
stealthyjim

I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether the Aquatica-SeaWorld free shuttle is still running, if not is there an easy alternative route between the two parks? I’m just hoping to get some re-rides on Mako!
MakoMania

Today is the final day for Shamu Express.

Nooooooooooo!!!!
JC13

MakoMania wrote:Today is the final day for Shamu Express.

Nooooooooooo!!!!
Really? That’s such a shame! There are no kiddie coasters left at Sea World, hopefully they get one in the next few years
MakoMania

JC13 wrote:
MakoMania wrote:Today is the final day for Shamu Express.

Nooooooooooo!!!!
Really? That’s such a shame! There are no kiddie coasters left at Sea World, hopefully they get one in the next few years
The ride is being kept apparently, but rethemed into part of a brand new themed area, stay tuned :)
Robert.W

Sesame Street coming to SeaWorld Orlando in 2019!

SeaWorld have announced that a new area themed to Sesame Street will open at SeaWorld Orlando in 2019. The new immersive themed area will offer a variety of attractions, including new rides and interactive experiences, opportunities to meet famous characters from the Street, and a brand new parade – which will be the first time SeaWorld Orlando feature a parade in their entertainment lineup!

Danny

Seems a bit... random... I have no doubt that it’ll have a decent budget and they’ll make it look right, but I don’t see how it fits in at all. Disappointing.
Chris
Admin
Admin

More of a general SeaWorld Parks topic - but good news for the parks having a stronger than expected last quarter.

Take that, PETA.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/05/ ... ds-bl.aspx
Robert.W

The amount of hate SeaWorld parks seem to get from PETA is just ridiculous! Glad to see things are looking up, finally! Hopefully there will be even better times to come with numerous new rides and attractions coming to the parks. 

MIR

PETA are less than palatable or accurate when it comes to putting across their arguments, however - while Seaworld have made amendments to their operations - it still stands that their past reputation for maintaining ethical standards and welfare practices is not exactly glowing! Generally, there is also continued disagreement among wildlife professionals as to whether current standards and practices in place are adequate. Furthermore, welfare and standards aside, there are valid ethical arguments that exist which oppose unnecessary use of animals for entertainment.

I personally think, and it seems Seaworld are moving towards this anyway, it would be progressive if SeaWorld placed entire focus on objectively necessary animal programs, such as for endangered and rescue animals, and on attractions / roller coasters that don't directly involve the use of animals. To me that would be the rational higher ground and more in keeping with Seaworld's supposed ethics, and I hardly think more spend on snazzy roller coasters is going to turn the general public away...
MakoMania

MIR wrote:PETA are less than palatable or accurate when it comes to putting across their arguments, however - while Seaworld have made amendments to their operations - it still stands that their past reputation for maintaining ethical standards and welfare practices is not exactly glowing! Generally, there is also continued disagreement among wildlife professionals as to whether current standards and practices in place are adequate. Furthermore, welfare and standards aside, there are valid ethical arguments that exist which oppose unnecessary use of animals for entertainment.
I agree with you on PETA, however there is little truth in the rest of the post.

SeaWorld's interim CEO says that more emphasis, not less, should be placed on the park's animal experiences and I couldn't agree more.

There is a very clear consensus amongst the zoological and animal welfare community that the care provided at SeaWorld is of a good standard, the AZA states that they are "meeting or exceeding" the highest levels of animal care in the world and all 3 SeaWorld parks were recently humane certified by the American Humane Association. Also, SeaWorld works with respected parter organisations including WWF and the Texas Marine Mammal Stranding Network.

SeaWorld's track record of animal welfare in the last two decades is among the best you will find anywhere. Mistakes have been made much further in the past, but society has changed and SeaWorld have changed with it. Other than flat out lies, the problem with PETA funded propaganda such as the movie Blackfish is that they present happenings from 40-50 years ago as if they still happen today, which is far from the truth.

I am proud to associate myself with a company that does so much good for animals (31,000 rescues and counting) and whose parks help to inspire kids from around the world through the power of entertainment and up-close hands on encounters to learn more about animals as I was inspired when I first visited.

I'll be back at SeaWorld Texas doing work experience this summer, can't wait!

As for the Q1 results, they are encouraging and I remain cautiously optimistic. I understand that San Diego in particular has had a major rebound this year.
MIR

To clarify. Except from my first sentence, the rest of the paragraph was not specifically referring to SeaWorld's operations. Rather, it was referring to the standards and welfare practices in law and enforced by the related governing bodies in of themselves. I had no intention of suggesting that SeaWorld were not fully compliant with animal welfare standards.
MakoMania

MIR wrote:To clarify. Except from my first sentence, the rest of the paragraph was not specifically referring to SeaWorld's operations. Rather, it was referring to the standards and welfare practices in law and enforced by the related governing bodies in of themselves. I had no intention of suggesting that SeaWorld were not fully compliant with animal welfare standards.
Thanks for the clarification :)

I very much agree that many governmental welfare standards leave a lot to be desired, but due to American Humane Association and AZA accreditation, SeaWorld far exceeds these minimum required standards.
PhNx Survivor

New update today, Infinity Falls having some possible issues.. to be expected.. Sesame Street construction progressing nicely, and few other things here and there.

The area for Infinity Falls looks really nice, and we get to look at some new additions for the ride, as well as a close up look at the rafts!
Credit: Midway Mayham
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
MakoMania

Infinity Falls has soft opened, official opening October 4th!
Chris
Admin
Admin

Looks sooooo much fun!
abigsmurf

Looks like it outdoes Bluto's Bilge rat barges which is the best rapids ride I've ridden on.  

It's good it doesn't fall into the trap of the rapids at Animal Kingdom where there aren't many elements that get you wet except for the drop. You kinda feel ripped off on rapids if you're the only one who got soaked and it was just from one thing.
Alex

Sounds like they're onto a winner although I've just seen it has a max height of 6ft 5 
Swarm Chris

Can't wait to ride it to cool down when I visit in a few weeks! Hope they don't mind me making the Mako seats wet after... :lol
Swarm Chris

So I didn't ride Infinity Falls, as on my two visits to SeaWorld, the first time it was too cold to get Florida soaked by it and the second day it broke. I'd seen some reports of people not getting that wet from it, whilst it may be possible, I saw a lot of very very very wet people exit from it. From the couple of viewing points that there are, it does look glorious. Beautiful surroundings and colours of the ride, water and rafts. I happily watched it for a fair while from this viewing point.

Or for those who like their images to move :)
The drop looked fun, with the splash from it just slightly reaching the viewing bridge above it.

Meanwhile, I had great fun on Mako. It's simple up-and-down, but it does it so well. A great relaxing ride, with a lot of airtime!