THE VOID - Virtual Reality Attractions

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Ever since I saw this video last week I've been meaning to post a topic here.

THE VOID is a new brand of virtual reality attractions that combine the technology, in the form of an Oculus Rift type headset, with physical environments and effects. The first centre will be opening in Utah next year, however they also list that major cities throughout North and South America, Asia, Europe and Australia will also be locations for centres as the project develops over the next few years.

The first centre already seems to be at a stage where people are being allowed to try it out, and so far it seems that the reviews are overwhelmingly popular, with many remarking at how real and immersive the experience is. What's more, the website states that once opened the centres will receive quarterly updates, creating an ever evolving experience - certainly an exciting prospect.

The video does also have a short segment which looks at using a simulator as part of the experience. Perhaps this could be the future of theme park attractions, as we're now starting to see the first use of VR with rollercoasters.

Head over to the website for more information.

[align=center]Image

Image[/align]
Morgano

Can you point me to the reviews? From what I read this project is currently vapourware. The marketing and video is great but likely only to encourage investors to get this project going so we might see something in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lewis97
Admin
Admin

There are some comments on the website and also some short video reviews on their Instagram account. The project is undoubtedly in its early days, but it does have the potential to be successful if they can attract the investment and execute it correctly.
Aidan Lowe

So this has a summer 2016 opening date in Utah. Closed beta has been ongoing for a couple of months now.

Here is a brief video Tech Insider did back in late October: Click here.

Snazzy Labs have experienced it also, while no video footage of the actual experience is within this video he gives a review: Click here.

I feel bringing effects and a psychical environment into it, it really adds to the experience. The future of this attraction I can see will work much like a Scare Maze, where walls and objects are moved around to vary the route at periods of time maybe yearly. My only concern is that, that the route you take no matter what virtual world you're in will become repetitive if for example you go regularly and do all the different experiences.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Aidan Lowe

The VOID is heading to TED 2016 & Road to VR and here is an article about how far they've come and what to expect!

Some key points:
The VOID wrote:For the first time, The VOID will be revealing the Rapture headset. The Rapture boasts a 2k per eye resolutions with an astonishing 170 -180 degree field of view utilizing curved screens and custom lenses.

The Rapture Vest is also ready and looks very professional like something SWAT would use.

According to James, the vest is capable of gentle tingle to a painful punch. It was great to walk through a portal and feel the energy vibrate through my torso and when an explosion went off in the test chamber it was downright frightening making me yell out as the shockwave racked my body.

As a stop gap for their internal RF tracking system still in development, a Leap Motion has been embedded directly into the faceplate to track the hands. Seeing your hands in VR is important not only for feeling present but also for accurately interacting with an environment.
Aidan Lowe

The new Rapture headset:

The VOID are at TED 2016 this week and Harrison Ford was with them to promote the Indiana Jones style VR experience.

Aidan Lowe

Stephen Spielberg also experienced this at TED and same as everyone else they are blown away by it.

Here is a peak inside one of the scenarios Curse of the Serpent's Eye. The lighting is great and the textures look very high resolution. People like us can only imagine how awesome it'd look experiencing it firsthand. Hoping within the next decade these are all across the globe and we have our very own here in the UK.

lewis97
Admin
Admin

THE VOID have today announced that they will open a Ghostbusters themed attraction at Madame Tussauds New York. I wonder if this will mark the start of a longer term relationship between Merlin and THE VOID, given Merlin's current enthusiasm for VR based attractions...