Europa Park

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Lozza

I really want to go now! which airline did you use to get there? also that is a really cheap park entrance, i would expect it to be moret than that!
:D
AstroDan

Ryanair from Stansted to Karlsruhe-Baden, with the direct bus from the airport to the park.

You can stay in the resort, in their tipi village prices are a BARGAIN and work out at approx. £30-£35 per person for bed, breakfast and a day on park. (based on 4 sharing) - i am going in June and two of us are sharing a tipi and it has worked out at £40 each B&B & entrance for the day.

http://www.badenairpark.de/pdfs/eberhardt_eng.pdf

(park entry alone in 2006 is 28,50euro, which = approx. £19 heh - eat that Disney)

If you can pick up cheap flights for 4, take the bus to the park from the Airport you could do return flights, connecting bus, 2 nights B&B and 2 days entry for approx. £130.
Anonymous

On paper, the stats don't look all that great! 48mph is quite slow nowadays, and 98ft would be around about the height Oblivion is from the ground. . .

But if you say it's a good coaster, I believe you, there is much more to a coaster experience than height and speed, and it's got a great duration! And going by your description, it probably doesn't get enough credit!
AstroDan

We have to remember that Euro Mir is a rollercoaster at Europa Park, which is a family orientated park which places more emphasis on enjoyment through theming and experience rather than out-and-out thrill. For example, there is no post-apocalyptic or military base theming there. :W Whilst Silver Star travels at 80mph and 240' high, it is still compartitavely tame for such a monstrous B&M (although it is still so good!).

Euro Mir, travelling at similar speeds to Nemesis, is simply such an excellent attraction for its difference. It is the complete package, so to speak - and something lacking from many attractions at, say, Alton who have taken the theming attitude for their major coaster less seriously of late.

Since you are in such small cars, the intensity and vigour of the ride is really second-to-none and you will leave the attraction with a beam stretching from your left ear. to your right!

The ride is certainly unsung, and something that I am certain most people will love - even the seasoned pro's. For Mack, this is one of their best rollercoasters.

Euro Mir is decepitively high. It is approx. 20' higher than Corkscrew.
S3 V2.1

[quote=""Ian""]There's some great pics there, it really does look like a good quality park. When I went to Germany in March none of the parks were open which I was annoyed about![/quote]

It's not good at all. it's absolutely amazing, everything just seems so well thaught out, the theming hits you straight away, the rides are really good as well, especially Poseidon, and Silver Star.

This park is a must for any coaster enthusiast, I should be going again this year. :D :D :D
Sitting in a bunker, here behind my wall.

Waiting for the worms to call.
S3 V2.1

I liked it, well themed, good pacing, after the extremely long lift hill that is.

When I rode it, the cars only spun on the lift hill, although the backwards feeling was odd, and packed a bit of a whallop.

Is it me, or does it only spin when you are on the lift hill?
Sitting in a bunker, here behind my wall.

Waiting for the worms to call.
Lauzi

I can't believe my sister has been (not a coaster enthusiast) and I haven't (school trip.)

She loved Silver Star and immiediately came and told me all about it when she came back.

Those photos are amazing, looks like a wonderful park, can't wait until I get the chance to visit.
AstroDan

It spins when you are on the lifthill, and during the 'wild mouse' section, so to speak. It also goes through a 180' turn after the major drop.

(the video link: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5497298720 will prove this. The video is from the moment they leave the lift tower to the break run, and you will see it spins)
CGM

We have to remember that Euro Mir is a rollercoaster at Europa Park, which is a family orientated park
Well I don't know about that, let's not forget that it is home to Europe's tallest coaster and many other amazing looking rides
AstroDan

Europa Park is definitely a family 'orientated' park. That's how I find it and also the friendly folks over at the eprust.com forums say so too.

Whilst Silver Star is Europe's highest, it's still fairly time for a ride of that height. It's still awesome - the height incredible.

Of the other rides there, only really Euro Mir, Eurosat and Poseidon could be classed as family thrill rides. The rest are all family - there are no thrill flats and no upside down rides.

The theming however, wow.
CGM

Yes- I see your point. Themed areas exhibitoning Europe almost. But I would say that it is only now becoming a family park with rides being built such as Pegasus and the Bobsled (can't remember it's name) because most of the earlier rides were built as thrill rides- Euro Mir, Euro Stat ect
AstroDan

The Bobsled's been open since the 80's :-). the most recent coasters are Pegasus, Atlantica, Silver Star and Poseidon. Water coasters, spinners and so on are all rather family - well compared to Alton's coasters they are

:D
AstroDan

I thought i'd post about this seeing as there's been a fair bit of Euro Mir discussion over the past week.

EURO-MIR BREAKDOWN: 23/04/06

On the 23rd April, there was a breakdown on Euro Mir where train number two began it's journey through the high speed section, with one of the four cars of the train locked in a sideways position. What this means is, when normally the cars have you facing either forwards or backwards through this section the second car was on its side. As a result, people were doing 50mph and going sideways through large (70ft) drops and fast helixes. This ride produces a fairly substantial number of G's anyway, so going through the course would probably be very concerning and certainly uncomfortable in that manner :-S

IMAGE: http://img366.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 1071ia.jpg
CGM

Ouch, that would cause some pretty painful lats particuarly as your facing outwards
AstroDan

Whilst we all know Phantasialand is where Germany's big new ride is this year, let's not forget that Europa Park is soon to open it's 4th new rollercoaster since the turn of the millennium! Yes, following hot on the heels of Poseidon, Silver Star and Atlantica, Pegasus will be opening soon for all you family thrill lovers out there!

Pegasus' track is now all in place and theming has begun! I have posted some pictures on the ATA forum, so please follow the link below to see them. The coaster will take Europa Park's total number of rollercoasters to 9 - surely more than any other European theme park!

Pegasus is scheduled to open on May 23rd.

http://forums.towersalmanac.com/index.p ... id=145337&
Last edited by AstroDan on Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

[quote=""AstroDancer""]Pegasus' track is now all in place and theming has begun! I have posted some pictures on the ATA forum, so please follow the link below to see them. The coaster will take Europa Park's total number of rollercoasters to 9 - surely more than any other European theme park!

Pegasus is scheduled to open on May 23rd.

http://forums.towersalmanac.com/index.p ... id=145337&[/quote]

The track was finished when i was there last week. Ive got a few pictures but they are 10megpixel and I can't be bothered to shrink them down.

It really is a kiddie coaster, very similar to Flying Unicorn at islands of Adventure but not quite as high. The photos seem to suggest single car operation like a wild mouse.
AstroDan

Pegasus will be using trains as is shown in the following web page:

http://www.mack-rides.com/en/products/c ... oaster.php

There will be 2 trains and 18 people per train.

It will be 15km/h faster than Flying Unicorn reaching speeds of 57km/h. It isn't really a kiddy ride, looks like a cross between Beastie and Spinball Whizzer - if such a thing were possible! It has a kind of Immelman thing going on there and a sharp first drop! (see rcdb for pics of the track).

It is 50ft tall (15m) and compares with 42ft tall Flying Unicorn.

Don't underestimate the power of Pegasus! :W
AstroDan

For all you EP people out there, here's the latest 'Pegasus' pics:

http://www.epinside.de/html/1_mai_2006.html

Hope you like the updates :-)

(don't forget, on the pictures Pegasus is brown. The blue one is Poseidon, the water coaster)
AstroDan

Pegasus is well on the way to completion, with opening scheduled in just 2 1/2 weeks time! A small temple has been built at the bottom of the big drop. However, it has been revealed that the theming will be developed gradually over the next 12 months - similar to what happened with Atlantica. When the ride opened, the theming wasn't completed but it is now. For those visiting the park in 2006, Pegasus probably won't have the in-depth theme of its neighbour or the other coasters - that will come in 2007.

Anyway, new pics available http://www.chez.com/europapark/090506.htm
Spendleb

How easy is it to get to this park, it looks great but we are not used to driving in Europe, is it feasible to get there easily from UK airports (Newcastle/Manchester/Leeds etc)?