Universal Orlando Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Clackers

I think this is a superb idea.
teammad

Looks good, i'll be keeping an eye on the Universal Webcam.
Cheers,
Dave
Crofty

If your off to Florida in the next couple of weeks then make sure you get a ride on Back to the Future at Universal Studios. The ride is set to close in September after an amazing 15 years of entertainment.
On appearance you would be forgiven for thinking the attraction was only a few years old, the only give aways are the dated film and theming, many youngsters might not know of the BTTF films and therefore the attraction isn't nearly as appealing as it once was.
Rumoured replacments for BTTF are similar rides with different themes. Suggested themes are The Fast and the Furious based on the popular films. The other is The Simpsons ride through.
The simpsons seems the most sensible idea, unless another Fast and the Furious film is due out then i think Universal have missed the boat somewhat with its popularity.

I don't think there is any chance of a reprieve just as Jaws had, BTTF has indeed had its day, I'm concerned however that the suggested themes will be a mistake and possibly be less popular over a quicker time than BTTF.

Fear Factor will also close this month which IMO is no great loss.

BYE BYE DOC :cry:

:D :D
altontowerskid

I cannot belive this is going to happen. BTTF is one of my favourite rides in Universal and the theming is still fantastic in my eyes. The whole ride is amazing and deserves a place at Universal. The Music and Special Effects are great to.

Sad to see it leave. :(
Adam

Last i heard this was only rumour. Have you got confirmation crofty?
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Crofty

Lots of rumours floating about over the internet. Most concrete evidence comes from Orlandos' local paper The Sentinel which ran a report about the closure and reasons for the closure related to the economy in Orlando at the moment with relation to theme parks and falling visitor numbers.

Universal ride's future in doubt
Published August 9, 2006

The Back to the Future ride at Universal Studios is closing -- perhaps as soon as next month -- to make way for a new attraction, sources tell me.

No comment from Universal, but speculation on some unofficial Web sites indicates a new storyline and ride vehicles could be based on The Simpsons cartoon or The Fast and the Furious car-racing movies.

Back to the Future, based on the Michael J. Fox movie trilogy, opened in 1991 for an estimated $40 million. Back then, it was among the most sophisticated rides around.
:) :)
Liam

Yep, I was expecting it to be fairly poor considering it's age, but I was surprised and it was really very good! The queue is not that well designed - world cattlepen championships, but the ride and story line, whilst a bit dated, still provided an entertaining ride.
Danzaw*nk

Aww thats a shame :(. Its a wicked ride. Good job i got on there now :lol:. Bye bye BTTF :(.

Dan
:D
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3
fanm

I'm going to Universal for the first time this year, for day only, only the studios (time limits us to only 1), and the only ride i wanted to ride before i die there was BTTF. This was the ride that i always wanted to go on. When am i Going to Florida? OCTOBER :( :( :( :cry:

Can anyone tell me what it was like?
Argh! REVISION
Danzaw*nk

I wasnt intense or anything, it was a simulator but a really enjoyable one where you had to bump that tough guy as he nicked a car. It was good. The safety video thing was hilarious :lol:.

Dan
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3
caffeine_demon

I thought it was a bit overrated - Jimmy neutron was a more fun simulator, and the helicopter simulator at sea world was much better!
coaster junkie

[quote=""fanm""]I'm going to Universal for the first time this year, for day only, only the studios (time limits us to only 1), and the only ride i wanted to ride before i die there was BTTF. This was the ride that i always wanted to go on. When am i Going to Florida? OCTOBER :( :( :( :cry:

Can anyone tell me what it was like?[/quote]

to be honest it was past its best, 10 years ago the concept was still in its relative infancy.......time to move on with todays technologies and make something really good that doesn't make you want to hurl
Rollercoaster 4 Life

[quote=""Danzaw*nk""]The safety video thing was hilarious[/quote]

Ditto to that one. The first time I saw that with the two dummys I was laughing my head off. :P

[quote=""caffeine_demon""]I thought it was a bit overrated - Jimmy neutron was a more fun simulator, and the helicopter simulator at sea world was much better![/quote]

Are you joking? The only decent part of Jimmy Neutron was the 'Birdy song' bit, the Yogi Bear simulator that was there before Jimmy was better and it was a shame that left. :cry: The helicopter simulator was ok, but not better than BTTF IMO.

I really liked it, and it will be sad to see it leave Universal, as IMO its one of the best rides there! :cry:
Yesterday\'s the past, tomorrow\'s the future, but today is a gift. That\'s why it\'s called the present.

PSN ID]Bankzy108
Add me if you want!
Storm

Universal Orlando confirmed yesterday the badly-kept "secret" that Marty McFly & Co. will be flying into oblivion when Universal Studios Florida closes its Back to the Future ride to make room for a new attraction.

BTTF opened shortly after the park did in 1990, but, like the film it is based upon, the ride has lost the public's interest over the years. Fans have clamored for a replacement, either based on the Fast & the Furious movies (why? won't those be as dated as BTTF by, oh, say, next summer?), Battlestar Galactica (yes!) or some other theme that would fit an indoor coaster, interactive shoot-'em-up or some other ride system more exciting than '80s-era flight simulators.

Personally, I think people are forgetting the obvious synergy from Universal's parents at NBC. Hey, couldn't USF cram a pretty big "Deal or No Deal" stage into that building? (Okay, I'm kidding. ...I think.)
Storm

Universal Orlando confirmed yesterday the badly-kept "secret" that Marty McFly & Co. will be flying into oblivion when Universal Studios Florida closes its Back to the Future ride to make room for a new attraction.

BTTF opened shortly after the park did in 1990, but, like the film it is based upon, the ride has lost the public's interest over the years. Fans have clamored for a replacement, either based on the Fast & the Furious movies (why? won't those be as dated as BTTF by, oh, say, next summer?), Battlestar Galactica (yes!) or some other theme that would fit an indoor coaster, interactive shoot-'em-up or some other ride system more exciting than '80s-era flight simulators.

Personally, I think people are forgetting the obvious synergy from Universal's parents at NBC. Hey, couldn't USF cram a pretty big "Deal or No Deal" stage into that building? (Okay, I'm kidding. ...I think.)
Danzaw*nk

Hey, sorry this has already been posted in a topic you posted in lol :P.

Dan
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3
Storm

i know i posted it lol

http://www.universalignited.com/

more BTTF info and closer
Spinball Wizzard

Glad i got ago on this legend of a ride. It was fun, exciting and humorous. Undoubtedly it will be missed.

Bye, bye BTTF!
Storm

its the whole reason why i went to universal lol

i creid when i had to go to a time share meeting at 5pm never got to go on it but got a hopper pass 1 week later from IOA and spent half the day on BTTF lol

sadly missed
best ride in universal and very very good memories from the film and ride

:( :( :( :( :(
nothing will beat it nor match it

(wonder what they going do with the car or train lol AND THE HOVER BOARD!!!!!)
Stevogriff

A simpsons ride would probably pull in crowds because the simpsons is one of the biggest tv shows in the world and theres a movie out next year but yet a movie could ruin the show and universal would be stuck with the ride. So a fast and the furious ride would probably be safer for the park because universal know the popularity of the movies.
R.I.P BTTF!

Steve :D