Pleasure Island

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
mphillips16

what does everybody think of this park i think it is a great little park it has loads of variety but the best rides have to be the boomerang and the terror rack (the first ever ride that made me go upside down).
planned trips this year
Alton Towers
Fantasy Island
Pleasure Island
Bottons Pleasure Beach
Flamingo land
jpecool

Okay some of you will know about the hidden delights of Pleasure island Cleethorpes, it doesnt sound all that great, but when you get there it has some great little rides. A very fast launching 90 foot S&S space shot, An original Huss Frissbee, a Huss flyaway which are quite rare, a topspin, a Huss Condor, Alton Towers' old centrifuge called Gravitron, and the Boomerang roller coaster (just your average vekoma boomerang). It is a nice little park, especially if you dont like queueing. You can get more than 20 rides on the Space shot (Hyper Blaster) in a day, probably a lot more actually, it would just start to get boring if you rode it more i think. :P

Anyway, does anyone have any views, opinions, or any news on pleasure island. Do you think the managers should start to pay a bit more attention to pleasure island aswell as Flamingoland?

**** For those who have never visited Pleasure Island, i will post some pics showing you the park*****

Fright nights on the 28th. Im ready to scream!!!!
jpecool

Sorry i made this topic at the same time as somebody else. Can one of the mods delete this or merge it with the other. Im very sorry. I was writing it when the other one was added

colin_p

Anyway, does anyone have any views, opinions, or any news on pleasure island. Do you think the managers should start to pay a bit more attention to pleasure island aswell as Flamingoland?
Pleasure Island has the potential to be a great 'smaller' park, but as you say, it sometimes appears to come second best to Flamingoland. Having said that, over the past 5 years it has probably had the best selection of smaller rides of any park bar Thorpe.

What I don't like about the place is that as you go in there are a couple of pretty nicely themed areas, but then you get past them and it is just rides on Tarmac or landscaped in. The theming just finishes! :roll:

I haven't been for a couple of years, despite visiting Cleethorpes quite often. I must try to go this year, if only to have a ride on the Boomerang now that The Missile at AA is closed :( The park is in desperate need of a new signature ride, something like a quality water ride over the lake or a signature coaster (or for that matter Magnum Force - I know, no space!)

Overall a nice little park spoilt by a lack of theming apart from around the entrance. I think though that once the project to re-establish FL as a theme park rather than overgrown fairground is complete, we may see changes in Cleethorpes.
bigblade40

I havn't been to pleasure island for years, it used to be one of my favorite parks. Will have to make trip this year to see what its like now. :D
bigblade40
jpecool

I think though that once the project to re-establish FL as a theme park rather than overgrown fairground is complete, we may see changes in Cleethorpes.
I really hope your right. IMO we have one of the best S&S space shots around
, it has a really good launch and has been well kept. And seen as its small you reach the top and are still going at a fair speed so really come out of your seat.
I was thinking PI could do with getting a wooden coaster from Gravity Group. That way it would make it popular amongst enthusiasts because it would have a woody and we seem to be lacking really decent woodies, and seen as it would be a gravity Group coaster it means it should be high quality because it would be the old CCi engineers. :D And this also means it could compete with Fantasy Island nearby slightly as they do not ahve a woody or anything remotely like that. It was jut a thought. Its just i would really love to see that park grow because at the moment its still looking quite nice, and no chavs have discovered i :lol: It also does have enough room for Millennium Force i think :!: :wink: :D would be great, but somehow i cant see it happening. If it did i would be so excited though. :D

Anonymous

I went pleasureland two years ago, found the park to be alright. If it could get in a few more rides it could end up being a really good park.
jpecool

Okay here are my pics of Pleasure island cleethorpes. Firstly just a photoshop image i did in a couple of minutes cos i was bored.
Click here to view this photoshop image

When you first walk in to Pleasure Island, the themeing actually appears to be quite good, but once you get further into the park that thoguht laves your mind. Anyway heres a few pics of the entrance area, and tinkaboo town or whatever its called:
The street after the entrance
the very old swing ride, which has been done up to fit with the park. It dates back a very long time
Tinkaboo Town childrens area

Okay well everytime i go to pleasure island the first ride i always want to go on is Hyper blaster because it is my favouite ride there. It is a 90 foot S&S space shot which really does pack a punch. It still launches at 50mph like most other space shots, but because it isnt very high, you reach the top with still alot of speed left, and you really really do come out of your seat, especially when you are small like me. Anyway here are the Hyper Blaster Pics:

Hyper Blaster
Hyper Blaster
Hyper Blaster

Then i head over to Pendulus, a really fun Huss Frissbee. When its spinning at its fastest it is a really really good ride, although every time i have been at least one person has been sick and they have to put water on the ride and send it round empty and it clears itself up, and dries too! :wink:

Pendulus
Pendulus
Pendulus
Pendulus

The i go to alakazam but i forgot to get any pics of that!!! :x Its a huss Fly away basically. :lol: Anyway after Alakazam i ride Boomerang, the Vekoma Boomerang coaster. Its not very original at all obviously, as these coasters are, and it is quite unsmooth, but it is still fun, and provides a thrill.
Boomerang
Boomerang
Boomerang
Boomerang
Boomerang
Boomerang

Next to the boomerang is one of the scariest topspins i have ever ridden, this is the terror Rack. It isnt just what th ride does that makes it scary, its how big the restraints are! They dont even touch me but they still let me on, and whn it hangs you upside down i slip right down. Its alot of fun, but sometimes it does it a bit suddenly and it really does feel like your gonna fall, well it does me cos im so small compared to the restraints. They are them restraints that you share with like 5 people if you know what i mean. Anyway you can see it in the picture:
Terror Rack

There is also the old Alton Towers centifuge called Gravitron, but i didnt get any pictures of that. There is also a really fun huss Condor, called Condor, how original? :P
Condor

Then there is the parachute drop, but ive never seen that working. Its not an intense ride, it just reminds me of the old Coney Island parachute which always brings a smile to my face. :D Although this one is alot more modern, but i suppose it still feels as unsafe :lol:
Parachute Drop

They also have a really good little coaster for kids, Runaway Mine train
Runaway Mine train

Theres also a really crazy spinning ride called century 2000, but i do not know who this is manufacturered by. I know who all the other rides are manufactured by but this one confuses me. Basically you spin around a giant pole in little cars on arms, and the arms then hoot up and down really fast and suddenly. It will stop at one height while spinning for a while, and then you suddenly shoot up. And then shoot down. Its not intense just fun.
century 2000

Then i also got a few pics of the parks syline etc. Here are some of them:
Pleasure island
Pleasure Island
Pleasure Island

Thats all my pics for now. I also have a video, but i have nowhere to upload it still. Sorry guys. Anyway hope you enjoy the pics

JPECOOL

X

Thanks for the photo's! The park hasn't really changed since my last visit in 2001 and if the new rides at the park could and should be moved from flamingoland who should look after the park more! It would be great! Maybe they will move Magnum Force to the park!?! :| :mrgreen:
altontowerskid

i visited in 2000 it was just "Good" nothing else. i wouldn't go again i would choose BPB more than this park.
Anonymous

Pleasure Island used to be my second home about 3 or 4 years ago, found myself travelling some distance regularly to ride old favourites such as the graivitron and 1001 Nights.

I haven't been up to the park for a good year or so now, so it is deffinately on my list of priority visits for 2005!
colin_p

Pleasure Island used to be my second home about 3 or 4 years ago, found myself travelling some distance regularly to ride old favourites such as the graivitron and 1001 Nights.
Unfortunately 1001 nights went a few years ago to be replaced by a Pirate Ship inferior even to American Adventure's! The Dream Boat was an OK ride too, but that wasn't working one year and was gone the next :(

It's kinda local so I'm going to have to try to get up there at some point this year myself, just to ride somer of the flats and a nostalgic whiff of Boomerang.... oh how I miss the Missile.....
jpecool

Yeah. I will have to go, but i may just pick Fantasy Island over Pleasure Island again!!!!!!!!! The only thingbetter about PI is that you dont have to pay for each ride.
i visited in 2000 it was just "Good" nothing else. i wouldn't go again i would choose BPB more than this park.
I think some people are confusing this park with Pleasureland southport.

Sazzle

I absolutely love Pleasure Island - me and my family usually visit at least once a year, and I must say I was extremely impressed last year with thier addition of Pendulus.

I must say I have a real disappointment with th park though, they used to have a big wheel that was placed on the edge of the park closest to the sea - you could get some cracking views from it! I think it used to sit on the Condor site? Or at least around there.

I'm not a big fan of Alakazam.. As the damn thing nearly squashed me to death when I rode it once, I couldn't breath! I think it was because I stepped onto the wrong peg? Well I'll never make that mistake again! I personally don't like the thing anyway, it's not a comfortable ride IMO, as the restraints are much like a sandwich toaster! Also not too helpful if you have a large behind ;)

Hyper Blaster is my second favourite ride at the park, behind Pendulus. It gives you a cracking thrill when you shoot back down from the top, due to the speed you're going. Absolutely fantastic! My mum also likes it, simply bwcause she loves to double over laughing at me and my dads face when we blast off :-| Strange lady!

I must admit that PI is a lovely park, though much the same as AA (possible better) in terms of attractions. They have some really great rides from the good'old days that you wouldn't find anywhere else, i.e. Gravitron, Condor, Alakazam, Boomerang (now!) and that strange ride near the back of the park that's a bit like the old Ski Jump...

I'm getting withdrawal symptoms now :(! Must.. visit.. PI.. this.. summer! Might be going around the end of this month with any luck. FI and Buttons pleasure beach definately.
ron

has pleasure island got any of flamingo lands old rides

Flamingo star
thunder mountain
top gun
rockets
u.f.o
R.I.P. Benson The Sealion At Flamingo Land (1984 To 2011)
R.I.P. Mam Susan Hunter Name Can Be Seen On Tiger Plaque At Flamingo Land (1961 To 2010)
R.I.P. Nelson The Chimp At Flamingo Land (1961 T0 2010)
R.I.P. Nanna (1934 To 2009)
R.I.P. Robbie (1964 To 2009)
Sazzle

Please stop posting the same topic, and ron - stop asking the same questions!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's fed up of seeing it.

Topics merged.
Anonymous

post your views about the boomerang at pleaure island :D :D :D
jpecool

Bumpy piece of vekoma crap! :lol: No offence to vekoma, they can make some decent rides, but this particular boomerang model, which i have ridden many times, hasnt been looked after that well. Its okay, but there are a few large bumps. The restraints arent as tight as they should be, and overall it needs a bit of TLC. With that it could be a better ride. It is still fun, especially when you're getting dragged up backwards and dont know when your gonna drop. Its not a very original ride, as its just a clone of the boomerang models, but its still fun. Pleasure Island need a new ride, as the only really good ones are Hyper Blaster and Pendulus, although people get sick to much on pendulus. :roll: :lol:

Anonymous

post your 5 top rides at pleasure island views
jpecool

1. Hyper Blaster
2. Pendulus
3. Alakazam
4. Boomerang
5. Terror Rack

:D The rides arent that great, apart from Hyper Blaster which is one of my favourite non coaster rides i have ever ridden!