Camelot

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Dara

Its not really the first though is it! Quite a few smaller parks have gone over the last few years. American Adventure, Dreamland Margate, Atlantis Scarborough, i could go on..........

Camelot has been struggeling for a while now anyway, so its not completely unexpected. Unfortunaately though, i have to say i'm quite sceptical about the future of Lightwater Valley. I know a few years ago they were trying to get permission to build a holiday village to boost visitor numbers
evil cod

As far as I'm aware LWV are still making a profit and since people dont seem willing to forgive Flamingo Land for past sins they still have quite a proportion of the north eastern school trip and family market which seems to be keeping them going quite nicely at the moment.
jonathan leake

This is sad but if LWV get knightmare that would be brill. Iv never been to this park but was planning on doing so this year to get a ride on Kightmare. It a shame but no suprise.
DiogoJ42

:(
I'm so glad I managed to get there last year. Knightmare was one of the highlights of my 'coaster quest'.

I think this just confirms that if we as enthusiasts want to save smaller parks, we are gonna have to get of our arses and go spend our hard-earned cash!
jonathan leake

Hey iv just had a look at all the coaster you've been on. Your really getting thruogh them. If you get the chance to go to Scotland i highly recomend Loudoun Castle. The best small theme park iv ever been to.
Joe Koopa

A sad day for all British enthusiasts. :(

Admittedly, I've never been there myself but it looked like an alright little park, nothing that a lick of paint and some investment couldn't sort out.
I just hope all the coasters find nice homes, hopefully in the UK.

I can see Knightmare working as a replacement for Lightwater Valley's tempomary rapids ride and Whirlwind could work at Flamingo Land, possibly as a replacemant of Wild Mouse.

Anyway, R.I.P Camelot :(

I always wished I could of visited you.
popTART

[quote=""evil cod""]As far as I'm aware LWV are still making a profit and since people dont seem willing to forgive Flamingo Land for past sins they still have quite a proportion of the north eastern school trip and family market which seems to be keeping them going quite nicely at the moment.[/quote]

What past sins?
evil cod

Being a large tarmac square with some fair rides stuck on it next to a Zoo with horrendous animal wellfare. Thankfully its much improved now but a large number of people around that area just arnt willing to give it another chance.
Craig

Going off on a bit of a tangent from Camelot, but just to give an idea as to how Flamingo used to be to those who didn't visit in the old days. It's true what Cod says, many people (particularly parents, mine included) still don't hold FL in high regard due to their past errors. From a ride point of view, they've improved massively but the zoo was the main issue with the place in the early 90's. Here's a few pics of what it used to be like. The polar bear enclosure was pretty much always the main complaint of the place from people I know:

The place was very much in the old style of zoo, just concrete pits for animals to live in. Thankfully, times have changed and its far, far better nowadays.

As Cod says though, FL and LWV have huge school markets as they're the only themeparks close enough for daytrips to those in the north-east/southern Scotland. If there was a little more competition then I'd be more concerned.

I've never been to Camelot, but just from people's reports its sadly a place that's had its card marked for many years now. Many rumours have surfaced, only for the inevtiable seemingly being staved off. I hope a buyer is found, or at the very very least their signature rides are saved. I'd hate to see another Schwarzkopf leave the UK :(
Joe Koopa

Wow, that polar bear exhibit is just horrendous! :shock:

For someone who is extremly intrested in zoology & zoos in general, I am quite certain that it is poor. It is bassically just tarmac, and there's no-way it simulates it's natural habitat. I really hope that poor polar-bear has lived on, besides it's old, scabby life.

Sorry, really, really, really off-topic.
dstone_uk
Location: Ug Basketball, Ug Land, Alton Towers, Staffs, ST10 4DB :D

Camelot, one of my childhood haunts, now i have lost them both by the looks of it sighhhhh. I rember the old style, Towers of Terror before the fire, the jousting when i was little and wimpy. There are alot of childhood memorys in that little square, and it is a great loss. HB (yes ok maybe a bit of a biased view) didn't change the park much, every park has the games and they may as well be operated by the experts 8).
Personal i had a visit last year and Excalver 2 was closed, as well as the driving school, and it was a disappointing trip. I rember the old days before the park got run down but still it was another park with a specal place in my heart. Thank you for the 21 years of fun (rember i'm only 21 lol).....I will try and post a photo tribute next time i'm home with my old computer.

Dstone x

(*)corkscrew rules(*)D

ShadowTD

Dagnammit. I've not been to Camelot for years but I'd promised myself I'd get Knightmare done this year.

Amusement parks should really give notice to allow enthusiasts to head along to get their final rides in. I'd been to Southport on a whim barely four months before it closed, purely by accident.

Hopefully someone in the UK will pick up this amazing ride.
Craig

[quote=""ShadowTD""]Dagnammit. I've not been to Camelot for years but I'd promised myself I'd get Knightmare done this year.

Amusement parks should really give notice to allow enthusiasts to head along to get their final rides in. I'd been to Southport on a whim barely four months before it closed, purely by accident.

Hopefully someone in the UK will pick up this amazing ride.[/quote]

Sadly it never happens like that when a park is in such a dire state. If they are trying to renogotiate terms with one creditor, announcing difficulties to the wider world (e.g enthusiasts that they were closing) would cause other creditors to call in their debts. It then gives them far less of a chance to negotiate new terms.

What goes on pretty much amounts to "begging" the creditors for more time, and if that fails there's normally very little option but to close without warning :(
stubpb

I read on the parks website at the bottom today that the park WILL reopen for 2009 can anyone confim this .
Woooooo the fireworks are back at Alton Towers i really cant wait....
AstroDan

I have just spoken to Park Hall (Camelot) and he says that it has been sold - however, they are not likely to open for Easter as they need time to get the park ready (as they have lost a month). However, beyond that, he seemed to think it could well re-open this season!

:)
Vik

The hotel is trading as normal for now, until a buyer, if any, is found. If not then it will close. EDIT, just read Dans post above, looks like the Hotel at least will live on.

As for the Theme Park, as far as I know all the permanent staff, including the maintenance staff, were made redundant when the company was placed in to administration in February.

I'd like to see it open for 2009, guess we will wait and see.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

ShadowTD

Excellent news. As soon as that place opens, I'm heading back home to 'see the parents' and go to Camelot. I've wanted to ride BMRX for years!
Joe Koopa

So it's re-opening now? :?

I am really confused. Is it just the hotel?
Nathan

Just the hotel.

The theme park won't open unless someone buys it.
ShadowTD

[quote=""AstroDan""]as they need time to get the park ready (as they have lost a month). However, beyond that, he seemed to think it could well re-open this season![/quote]