Madame Tussauds London

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Stern John

I went to Madame Tussauds yesterday and I have to say that the Stardome was appauling! I never thought anything could be worse than the old 3D cinema at Alton. The Stardome really took the meaning of poor to a new level! They have put very little effort into converting the old Planetarium into a Tussauds attraction. I never went to the Planetarium but I can be sure it was much better than Stardome!
They obviously didnt have the budget to make a film that spanned the whole dome so they simply made a cartoon of some aliens watching a small screen! A pathetic excuse for an attraction. Anyone else been who agrees or thinks otherwise?
Liam

Yes, it's one of the most awful things Tussaud's have ever done to one of their attractions! The London Planetarium was once highly regarded I think, but the state of it now is terrible, and it's a real shame that it's no longer being used for its original purpose. =(
Craig

Well I've been in it twice now, only since the second time evil cod joined us and wanted to watch it :P. I must say it's possibly the cheesiest and most annoying attraction in the world. I suppose the kids may enjoy it, but I just found it totally annoying.

I did warn evil cod prior to going in that it was totally rubbish, but we still wandered in, and I don't think he could walk out of the place fast enough! the animation is pretty good and all, but the whole storyline is weak and left me with a feeling of "what the hell was that" as I walked out.

I can't see it lasting too long in there to be honest, they need something with a bit more substance for it to be successful.
Stern John

I'm going to go back tommorow as I have a week in London and I never went into the Chamber Live part as it was quite busy! I wasn't impressed with Madame Tussauds overall to be honest.
I also noticed there were buttons on the back of the seat infront, leading me to believe this was some sort of interactive attraction. Sadly not and this feature must have been removed when it closed as the Planetarium. Come on Tussauds, buck your ideas up!
Redcoat Jase

My Parents recently went to London for a couple of days, it was the first time for my Mum! She kicked off at my Dad, stamped her feet abit, and eventually he forked out £50 to do Madame Tussauds!

Overall, she loved the place! - She had a few photos, and was pleased to see Johnny Depp (though she didn't know his name!).

What shocked me the most was they said they wandered in the Stardome, and said it was rubbish. My Mum, bless her, was litterally disgusted that they wandered and nearly missed a few waxworks because of it! - She said they had a lucky escape! Made me giggle abit how disgusted she was with it! :lol:

Also, another thing that I was shocked about was, as they purchased their tickets, they also bought a Souveneir Guide to Madame Tussauds, It's quite interesting! Only thing i thought was quite rude was it cost them about £5, and it wasn't even up to date! It still had the old logo on the front cover, and inside had information about Waxworks that were no longer there! (eg. Kylie). But what got me the most was as they left Madame Tussauds my Dad decided that he would like a carrier bag for the book about Madame Tussauds, so he wandered back in and asked the Retail Host, who asked my Dad to show the receipt, my Dad didn't have it so the Host declined him a cheapo carrier bag!! - How wrong is that? - I thought Tussauds were all about going the extra mile! :evil:
...is no longer a member of TowersTimesForum
Kelly

Lol im ahsamed to say i think i was one of the only people (maybe Martin) who actually enjoyed the stardome when a few of us went two weeks ago.

I thought the aliens were groovy! But those seats are SO umconfortable! It a great little attraction for kids (and me and martin) though!

Im off to hide in shame now because i seem to be on my own with my veiws of the stardome... :oops: :P
Stern John

lol! Nothing wrong with that! I just think they failed to utilise the brilliant equipment that they obviously had. The sound was great and the picture was very clear. When it started I thought "here we go, this is gonna be good" sadly nothing transpired and overall it was a let down. Most of the actual footage was shown on a small screen in the middle, themed as some sort of alien drive-in!
I enjoyed some of the waxworks like Jose Mourinho, Will Smith and Hitler (very realistic.) I found I was constantly in the way of someone who wanted to take a picture though! Also Kylie was there yesterday, at least I think it was Kylie!
The Spirit of London Taxi ride thing was pretty bad but in a good way, kinda like Toyland Tours used to be!
All in all it was ok but the Stardome could have been so much better!

P.S. What was going on with the plastic seats? Did they think I was going to wet myself with excitement!
Last edited by Stern John on Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Queen of Speed

Absolutely awful attraction, talk about dumbing down. Although saying that the Planetarium had gone down the toilet in recent years with rubbish films and rubbish seats. I remember back in 2001 they had really nice big comfy chairs and an interesting film.
DiogoJ42

That place went to pot the day they removed the old projector. Watching that gizmo slowly rotating and doing it's thing was almost as interesting as the show itself!
Then they replaced this 12 foot long masterpiece of metal with a small glass dome no bigger than a beach ball. (I think this is gone now. I remember them saying they spent millions on it!) And stoped doing late night laser shows. It's never been the same since.
I last went about a year ago, and it was still technicaly a star show, but only on one side of the dome. It was more of a "hey look- we are flying through space!!!" thing, than the old "you are now gonna learn science" stuff.
caffeine_demon

I thought it was very poor too! just had no substance! I'm amazed aardman put their name to it!

The little old london town ride is pretty neat though!
evil cod

At the end I actually exited soo fast I ran straight into the poor woman heading to show people out, gave her a bit of a shock. It was absolutely horrific and I usually like cheesy kids stuff!
MostMagicalCat

going in june and was realy looking forward to that, i will stil go, but i know to expect the worst :P
[
Beaver Dude

I've been on it four times I think (I know hardcore.) The first time was good the full 360 degree screen was used and the seats leaned back and were comfy. The film was basically flying around in a spaceship and it told you (and showed you) stuff like black holes.

The second time the film was like a documentry it was a bit boring compared to the first time and it only used a bit of the screen.

The third and fourth time the seats are now uncomfy benches and the film is a bit rubbish it's not that entertaining and it's for little kids really. The only decent thing is the host at the begining.
Rocks

[quote=""Beaver Dude""] The only decent thing is the host at the begining.[/quote]

I went there a few months ago and agree with (nearly) everyone else how bad the Stardome was, and I must have got a different host at the beginning as the one when I was there was so unfunny - thought he was being funny, but it was pretty obvious no one was laughing!
The rest of Madame Tussauds is ok (nothing that special but slightly entertaining!), and I'd go again but only because I have the Annual Pass - I'd never pay that sort of price to go in!
Robin

I do think its funny when they stand still and pretend to be statues and make people jump! But i think the the title stardome misleads people as to what its really about.
jonathan leake

This happend on the opening day of the a new Madame Tussauds museum on Saturday.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20080705/ ... 5e080.html
blake_nemesis

Can't blame him...
Ollie

It was always bound to cause controversy..
Kaz

The guys at Tussauds should have used their heads.... It was obvious that the head of the Nazi regime would cause controversy.

:P
Khanage

That's why the Hitler in London is in a glass cabinet - for this exact reason.
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.