Holiday World

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Dom

It looks amazing and am i right in thinking that this will be the first wing rider with a vertical loop too?
Luce

I like the sound of this too and will be interesting to see the construction. Wild Eagle at Dollywood has a vertical loop so Thunderbird will be the second I believe :)

Curious too is the choice of fewer rows on the trains - I agree with Lewis about it being down to it being B&M's first launch coaster as well as the weight aspect as mentioned.
RCandrew

I think with how well known wing riders are for being sluggish and not very intense, they've realised a launch is how they may do it right ;)
themealgang

Really didn't see this one coming; the first 'official' B&M launched roller coaster. Wasn't the Hulk's launch built by an external company?

It does seem slightly bizarre they've decided to go with the Wing Rider design for their first launched attempt. I can imagine the trains are one of the heaviest out of their catalogue. The ride, however, looks absolutely breath-taking and the theme and name really fit. I think Holiday World is onto a winner. Not sure what B&M are thinking at the moment. First we have the surprise family roller coaster and now they've gone a built a launched ride after years of loathing the things! It's certainly an interesting time for them and I'm excited to see where they go with this!
ponder

Looks awesome!
Danny

At least this should give B&M some good practice with launched rides. Hopefully after a few instalments they should come down in price, ready for Rita to be removed and a new B&M launch to take its place ;)
RCandrew

Like I said I think it's because B&M wing riders are good but not intense, and launches are intense but B&M don't do them, so that's probably why they have chosen to do this :)
Danny

The ride is costing Holiday World $22 million. This is an equivalent to £12.96 million- roughly £13 million. I'd expect it's cheaper as everything won't have to be transported so far.
Chaz

^That seems about average price IMO. The Swarm's budget was only more because of the infilling. That area was just water a few years before, whereas this is being built on land that is already there.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
Alex

Evidently the launch system isnt B&M's creation, it is the same company that Mack use to make their launches.
Danny

First sections of track has arrived on site, with Holiday Worlds posting these pictures on Facebook:

Danny

Here's an explanation of the launch on screamscape: http://www.screamscape.com/html/holiday_world.htm

Where is it that people have found out it will not be a B&M launch, because that's what it seems to say here?

Jack

it's going to be the same people who make a lot of LSM launches for a lot of manufacturers, I don't remember where I found it, but have also seen a lot of things said on a lot of different places :D
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Some station and transfer track is already in place as vertical construction progresses. Holiday World has posted an update on their blog today, covering what's been done and what's next.

[align=center]Image[/align]

You can also follow construction on their Thunderbird Construction Cam.
Ryan.B

Anyone have an idea when you can see them working on construction cam as it seems really good. I think it would be a brilliant feature for sw8. Maybe mi7 could do live flyovers ;)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

All of the break run that can be seen from the webcam is now in place.

Ryan.B

Are they building behind the trees first. If so MOVE THAT WEBCAM. I need to see construction of awesome looking rides!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I believe that they're building the easy bits of straight and flat track first, before then constructing the rest of layout roughly in order.
Ryan.B

Ah thanks. I just want to see the construction cam moved to where they are focusing on depending on what has been hidden from view.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

All the supports for the launch are now in place, and the crane appears to be in position to lift the track onto them tomorrow.

Also, Holiday World posted the following image on Twitter a few days ago, stating that 5 pieces of track are currently in place with 72 remaining.