Nurburgring

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
AstroDan

This news was originally posted Here but to little fanfare, and I thought it deserved more of a mention after I did some e-digging on some French, Belgian and German websites. LiamC also mentioned it has been mentioned on Top Gear.

It appears that, the Nurburgring (famous F1 circuit) in Germany intends to make a massive investment in a number of new areas in the coming few years.

One of these appears to be a Maurer Sohne launched coaster, reaching incredible speeds of 215km/h, which is over 130mph and, most importantly of all, a faster speed than Kingda Ka.

I find this news both exciting, yet odd at the same time.
Last edited by AstroDan on Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magical Ryan

Would that make it the fastest coaster in the world?
AstroDan

[quote=""Ryan2007""]Would that make it the fastest coaster in the world?[/quote]

Yes, I did state 'faster than Kingda Ka', which is, at present, the fastest coaster on the planet.

This will be faster!
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

[quote=""Ryan2007""]Would that make it the fastest coaster in the world?[/quote]

It would indeed. It would be interesting to see them pull it off.

MS launches seem a little weak from what i have seen...

http://www.maurer-soehne.de/amusement_r ... er/launch/
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
Green.Wing

Great idea. My only concern is that the X-cars are hardly screaming out to be racing cars lol. Just think an different car design would suit better.
Ash

Any ideas on layout?
AstroDan

See: Above.

Just a straight basically, could be a top hat. Any Rita style corners at such speeds would surely rip your head off.
John

Looks like I'll be heading over to Germany in 2009!

This seems to be another top hat and breaks coaster, and could really put stealth in the shade. Any idea what that s bend thing could be - I can't think of anything that shape which could be negotiated at such high speeds without being dangerous. Will be interesting to see how good MS launches are - I think they're the 4th company to do a top hat coaster, and they've got quite a lot to live up to.
Green.Wing

I think the S shape is at the start. With block breaks until the straight. Holding cars watching the launch. Then like Top Thrill Dragster. holding in on the striaght and fireing u up the straight up the top hat and over into the breaks.
LiamSAFC

Very Exciting News!

Will it be the tallest though? Obviously the fastest in the World but height-wise, could it be taller than Kingda Ka or TTD?
Chris1

It's a bit of a shame it's a Maurer Sohne, but I suppose it was the logical choice being a German manufacturer...

Should be quite impressive when it's built nonetheless...
Kaycee

How odd for Maurer Sohne to be attempting the speed record! :-s Although my faith in them as a ride manufacturer has improved a bit after riding the excellent Winjas Fear and Force - but the only non-spinning coaster type I've ridden of theirs, is of course G-Force, which is terrible - as are those trains...
John

I reckon the ride will be slightly shorter than KK, otherwise they would probably be advertising the tallest/fastest. Speed doesn't directly relate to height in launched coasters - the S&S launches are much shorter for a given speed than an intamin top hat rocket for example.

As for the restraints, I think they have been modified since g-force so that they now lock in position and cannot close further when out of the station, so total crushing shouldn't be too much of a problem anymore.
Johno

What about making the cars spin as well? :D
Green.Wing

I dont want to die thank you.

If they spun. The G-s from being swung from postive to negative would propely kill you instantly and maybe rip your head from you shoulders :lol:
Kaz

[quote=""Green.Wing""]The G-s from being swung from postive to negative would propely kill [/quote]

Why do people think that anything over 20G’s will rip your heads off? F1 Drivers have survived 180g in high speed crashes and in 2003 a driver racing at over 200mph survived a massive 214 g. The human body can take a hell of a lot of abuse, a lot more than people seem to think.

And just out of intrest:
The highest g on a thrill ride can be experienced on Detonator at Thorpe Park, which reaches 5.5 g at the end of the drop by firing riders downwards pneumatically.
AstroDan

A slap in the face could cause hundreds of G's for a split second, but 15G constantly for a minute could, for example kill you. Wikipedia has some more info on it.

It all depends on how long the G's last.
Mankey

135 mph? thats just foul :shock:

i woulda thought intamin would be the ones to attempt this though

^^ Chris ^^
Back from hibernation!
AstroDan

Not really though. A Maurer launch to such speeds will ultimately not have anywhere near the acceleration of an Intamin.
Kaz

[quote=""AstroDan""]A slap in the face could cause hundreds of G's for a split second, but 15G constantly for a minute could, for example kill you. Wikipedia has some more info on it.

It all depends on how long the G's last.[/quote]
Colonel John Stapp in 1954 sustained 46.2 g for a prolonged periods of time in a rocket sled, while conducting research on the effects of human deceleration.
Video