Legoland Discovery Centre Manchester

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
AstroDan

Since there doesn't appear to have been mention of this anywhere, I think it's right that this quite major news gets a thread here!

It appears that Merlin are planning to open a Legoland Discovery Centre in Manchester's Trafford Centre extension in the next few years. A planning application was online, although I cannot now find it.

Legoland Disovery Centre's are smaller, indoor Lego attractions that usually contain a version of the Dragon coaster, along with other smaller attractions. Given the distance from Windsor, I wouldn't have thought this would impact at all on visitors to the main park.

Would also add more value to Midlanders/Northeners who hold the Merlin Annual Pass.

Thoughts?

[url=http://www.legolanddiscoverycentre.com/" target="_blank]http://www.legolanddiscoverycentre.com/[/url]
Johno

It could be quite good, however I do think that it could be a bit small!
Chris W

Something I probably would visit on a trip to the Trafford Centre, I get bored shopping after a few hours so it would make the trip up to Manchester more worth while.

Slightly un-related but does anyone remember the old dark ride which the Trafford Centre used to have, I think it was called "Dreamland", I thought it was mildy good. Shame it closed many years ago.
Johno

They've now changed it to a large adventure golf course.

Dreamland never really worked. It was huge, and didn't really seem to do much.

They'd have been better installing a coaster to deal with the masses of teens they have going there. They already have a huge play area and creche etc.
CoasterCrazyChris

Am I right in saying The Trafford Centre is that large shopping place?

Only i've never been to Manchester, lol...
jonathan leake

No i think bluewater is but dont quote me on that.
Craig

It's now the Metro Centre in Gateshead based on floorspace after they added their red mall extension. Bluewater is 2nd, with trafford centre 6th behind Meadowhall, and Westfield Derby and Merry Hill.

That said, Manchester presents a huge catchment area and it's still a massively huge shopping centre. There's also a huge range of leisure attractions within the vacinity, with the Namco arcade, Chill Factore and soon an Airkix site.

It's about time Merlin spread their other attractions northwards :D
AstroDan

The Trafford Centre is lovely, a really lovely mall indeed! Some use for the Merlin AP would add to those Christmas shopping woes.

:)
Johno

The Trafford Centre, is probably the best themed shopping mall in the UK.
CoasterCrazyChris

Is it anything like Meadowhall in Sheffield, i've been there and I thought it was quite impressive.
ShadowTD

The food court area at Trafford is easily equal to any theming at Towers.
SAM93

[quote=""CoasterCrazyChris""]Is it anything like Meadowhall in Sheffield, i've been there and I thought it was quite impressive.[/quote]

Meadowhall rocks, I live right near to it, like a two minute drive and me and my mates go there all the time. From what I can remember the Trafford Centre is very similar to Meadowhall.

Also something like this would be great for Meadowhall too.
CoasterCrazyChris

[quote=""SAM93""][quote=""CoasterCrazyChris""]Is it anything like Meadowhall in Sheffield, i've been there and I thought it was quite impressive.[/quote]

Meadowhall rocks, I live right near to it, like a two minute drive and me and my mates go there all the time. From what I can remember the Trafford Centre is very similar to Meadowhall.

Also something like this would be great for Meadowhall too.[/quote]

Meadowhall - what is it now 19 years old? Upon visiting I was pleasantly surprised to see that the decor was so fresh and unique, and i'm no architect but from a centre this old I expected it to be a bit well "80s".
Anyway a Legoland attraction in somewhere as big as these places could only be a good thing. :)
flange

Here is the planning application

[url=http://planning.trafford.gov.uk/MVM/Onl ... I=PLANNING" target="_blank]http://planning.trafford.gov.uk/MVM/Onl ... I=PLANNING[/url]

And a description of what will be in the centre here.

Joe Koopa

Sounds quite intresting.

Are there any other Legoland Discovery Centre's across Britian? :)
Islander

[quote=""Koopa-Troopa""]Are there any other Legoland Discovery Centre's across Britian? :)[/quote]
Not yet - this will be our first :)
Skumfidus

I'm glad this is going in Barton Square, I could imagine it a bit cramped at the top of the Orient, plus I quite liked the crazy golf, climbing wall and the laser quest!

EDIT - And is that a MetroLink extension I see? That would be amazing, and very beneficial if the discovery centre wants to stand on it's own, having it's own visitors rather then just catching those who are at the trafford centre!

Plus Barton Square is lovely, here's a picture of it

The Lego centre will be positioned on the 1st floor, just right of this picture!
flange

A Metrolink extension has long been rumoured for the Trafford Centr but has never been built, but as can been seen from the plans there is the space for the Metrolink extension if it ever happens.

Yes it will have a ground floor entrance with Lego shop on the corner and then the Discovery Centre with all the attractions will be on the first floor, it will be the other side of that photo above.

It will be in the same block as Homesense , rougly in the space where it says Singing Bears now on the map on this link.

[url=http://www.traffordcentre.co.uk/media/G ... _mar09.pdf" target="_blank]http://www.traffordcentre.co.uk/media/G ... _mar09.pdf[/url]
CoasterCrazyChris

^ Looks more like an historic attraction than a shopping centre.
seanyboyuk

I hope this rumoured attraction does go ahead someday it would be great.
Peel holdings own like 90% of Manchester and surrounding land so im sure there wouldnt be a problem. It still makes me think why they havent gone into the theme park business yet. Its a prime location right next to the busiest motorway in the northwest. It would be a huge gamble but i think it would pay off for sure.