PortAventura World

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Benji

Here's a great photo, courtesy of pa-communtiy, comparing the height of the new roller coaster in Ferrari Land against Shambhala and Dragon Khan.

Definitely looks like PA are upping their game even further with this investment!

RobertPHolt

We're all booked up to go to PA in May next year, any idea if it'll be open by then? I read somewhere that the coaster itself doesn't open until 2017..
Nathan_Fisher

Having been at Portaventura for the past week (21st August - 28th August) there isn't much going on at the moment on the construction site, mainly ground works which you would expect this early on in the construction process. On the main entrance to PA the area is surrounded by fencing boards which limits the view into the area, it's a shame i couldn't see more of the site. I'm looking forward to what the company finally produce when the park is finished.
Zach

So port aventura is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year! opened in 1995 to now in 2015 with the tallest coaster in Europe and in the process of beating their own record record with the new Ferrari world coaster! Having had a recent 2 week holiday in Salou I went to check out the celebrations and wow do the spanish know how to party! Right from the entrance the party is obvious with the whole entrance plaza adorned with party theming and 20th banners and branding. With the odd teaser for Ferrari world, advertisement for this is really picking up now over park.

The park has special signs up around the park with PA 20 on them and special remixed soundtracks playing espcially for the event around park, which is also available to buy in the shops to take home a piece of the magic! In addition to the theming around park and music the park really has put alot of effort into making this year a special one they have made new shows extra to those normally available. A personal highlight of mine was the fire Tahiti at night, you really got the full effect of the fire and atmosphere!

To finish off each day, which during the month of July and August the park closed at midnight and on special Saturdays closing at 3am, the park put on a spectacular parade down the main street with all the characters on floats and special themed floats with the parks special Happy Birthday PA theme playing (also available on the CD) crowds were gathered for this every night, even at 2 am. After the 15 minute parade there was photo opportunities with the characters. Shortly followed was the grand finale, a fantastic firework and boat show set on the lake, also home to furious baco, a 20-minute display set to music and lights taking you round the world with the themed zones from Portaventura. The center piece was a water jet screen which had projections on telling you "where you are in the world".

The parade -

The finale -

An amazing event to attend, recommend to anyone going to Spain before November, who knows go in October and you could experience there Halloween event and if this is anything to go by it would be awesome! Has anyone else been to PA this year ? What was your experience like ?
Jack

Amazing photos there Zach! Seems as though you had an amazing time, and it seems PA have done a seriously good job of celebrating their 20th year! :)
Aidan Lowe

Video of a construction update over at TPW YouTube channel here.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
lewis97
Admin
Admin

This has now been confirmed to be opening in 2017 rather than 2016 on the PA website.

[align=center]Image[/align]
It also looks as though double-spine track has begun to arrive on-site.

Source: CoasterFriends Forum
Rocket

Double spine? That can't be the intamin launched coaster can it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jack

This just got very interesting, very excited to see what the coaster looks like :)

Not at all surprised by the 2017 opening, I thought the time scale for the construction was very short for it to open in 2016. :)
Tom

It will look something like the picture here:

Slightly lower in height than Kingda Ka but with no bunny hop just a straight piece of track.
Jack

Yeah, it's going to be weird seeing one of these with 2nd gen track though :)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Supports are now going up for the launch coaster, shown in these images posted by a ThemeParkReview member.

Ladyofthelake

Port Aventura have now launched a new website for Ferrari Land giving a little bit more information about what we will see from this new park.

The area will have sections themed to key Italian landmarks, including the Colosseum, with the new launch coaster being described as a Vertical Accelerator supplied by Intamin. The station for the coaster will be themed to resemble a real F1 pit stop with the carriages themed to resemble the famous F1 cars.
Alex

Coaster Force have posted some pictures of the launch coaster and the braking part of the ride looks interesting....

Owen

Well I must say...

What were they thinking with the colour scheme and braking section!

It looks horrendous!
Ladyofthelake

Owen wrote:Well I must say...

What were they thinking with the colour scheme and braking section!

It looks horrendous!
The colour scheme matches the colours of the Ferrari F1 racing team and is pretty much what you would expect from a coaster in a themed land based around Ferrari. I expect, although the red does look very bright now, once the rest of the new area is constructed around it it will fit in much better. I will admit though that the braking section does look kind of odd, will be interesting to see how that works once the first trains start testing on the coaster.
Owen

In my defence, I initially thought the track was green and so that's where that foment came from, now I know the track is grey I have warmed to it much more :)
Danny

Certainly looks interesting. It's a shame they removed the airtime hill as it would look more pleasing on the eye. However I'm sure there will be a short burst of airtime just before hitting the second set of brakes.
Capt.Barnacles

What... is that brake run...

I have to say I'm not a fan, but I'm still looking forward to seeing it complete :)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Here's an official video of the launch coaster's support structure being topped off, which also provides good aerial shots of the whole area and the main theme park.