PortAventura World

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
CoasterCrazyChris

Charlee wrote: What so bad about Rita's queue? Am I the only one that doesn't mind it?

And it is a shame about that queue, at least its in he shade.
Joke, right?  :shock:

There is NOTHING to like about it.
Charlee

The fact that you can just watch Rita going around is enough for me.

Anyway back on topic, I really wish I could travel to Port Aventura and ride this :(
I used to think I knew a lot about coasters, but then I joined this forum.
TB2

mike_roller wrote: I like Cattle Pen queue lines. I think they give the impression of a quicker queue because you can always see it moving. It's only John Wardley who has ingrained it in the minds of enthusiasts that queuing 20 miles around the ride is really exciting and as good as the ride itself.

It's still queueing. And it's still crap no matter which angle you're viewing a drop from.
I'd have to disagree. Give the punters something to look at or do is the trick. It doens't have to be views of the ride, it could be an immersive queueline like OzIris or Expedition Everest or things for people to do like Space Mountain or Soarin'. A Cattlepen is okay on certain rides for short lengths but a two hour queue in one. Euch.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

Dylan

As much as I like a nicely flowing queue line that takes in a lot of the ride (such as Blue Fire or Nemesis), I can live with a standard zig zag cattle pen as long as it moves at a steady pace.
One thing I don't like are the cattle pen queue lines that are packed into a small space but keep going back on themselves when you feel like you are making progress, such as Rita.
Mi-Nigle

I don't mind cattle pen queue too much so long as A) you can kinda see the path it will take and B) you can see the end of the queue line so you know how far you have to go. One of the worst queues for me was Space Invader 2. Not a cattle pen but it was completely enclosed and you had no idea how long you'd be waiting. I hated that part up the ramps, the feeling of claustrophobia was too much. That coupled with hot sweaty bodies made it very unpeasant and it didn't help that SI2 had an awful throughput either.

I understand that cattle pens are needed to save space sometimes though. If Rita's was stretched out I bet it would go.round the whole ride give or take. That said, if you're clever with it, it can be made into a much more pleasant experience. I love the extended Nemesis queue because it's not a cattle pen and it gives you high up views of the ride which you wouldn't normally see.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2
jackgcse

I love looking at the cattlepen queues, providing, none of it is in use! ;)
However cattlepens such as Port Aventuras, are terrible because they are just targets for queuejumpers, at least with most UK rides, a cattlepen is made harder to jump over!
DeadJack5

Thanks for the advice, another related question to the restraints, what ride would be more difficult to get the restraints on than shambhala? I'm really worried about the restaurants now :S
spark

Wonder how the rest of the theming is coming along?
Last edited by spark on Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike.dutton

Just got back from Port Aventura and was very impressed with Shambhala. Excellent first drop, comfy seats and floaty airtime on the hills. I was also surprised to find a single rider queue too (although to join this you have to enter the main queue first and then split off - OK when the main queue is not full). They have also opened out the area really well and you can get some excellent views of Dragon Khan now too! 
spark

Any pictures?
AdrenalineAlex

I hate the SAW queue line :@ but OT Shambhala is looking great from the videos on YouTube! :)
mike.dutton

I took a lot of pics but here are a few of them:

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... 0Aventura/
CoasterCrazyChris

Nice pics - but I'm afraid to say the two rides do look like one giant horrible mess of B&M track and supports.

Kahn is an real eyesore.

The theming on Shambhala seems a little lazy also, but the ride itself looks awesome.

:)
Rollercoasters4Life

/\ Please say you are joking? Right? Surely? I for one also felt with building the rides close to each other it would ruin what Khan had going, but having being there in person and also from photos they complement each other perfectly.

The theming on Shambhala is lazy? Where are you getting that from? If you have seen the whole new area you wouldn't be saying that - Yes, its not the most or best themed ride out there, but it is very well themed. The splash zone is gorgeous to just sit and watch and the other theming elements around it also fit nicely.
Last edited by Rollercoasters4Life on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike.dutton

I thought the rides complemented each other far more than I was expecting - not too mention the best 2 coasters are next door to each other therefore reducing walking! I was also impressed with how much they had expanded the area and also the ability to approach Shambhala through the Sesame Street area. One downside I did discover though was that on the first day I visited, Shambhala was down whilst they were doing work on the lift hill. Apparently this work had also had the knock on effect of having to close Dragon Khan as well. Hopefully this will prove to just be teething problems.
CoasterCrazyChris

Rollercoasters4Life wrote: /\ Please say you are joking? Right? Surely? I for one also felt with building the rides close to each other it would ruin what Khan had going, but having being there in person and also from photos they complement each other perfectly.
It's an ugly mangle of steel with a dreadful colour scheme.

No beauty.
Rollercoasters4Life

/\ Many people would of agreed with you at the start when then plans were released, but have changed their opinion based on seeing it come to life. Out of interest have you been there this year and seen the area in the flesh?
spark

Great pictures Mike,

It would have been nice to get this new ride in its own area but it seems like the park has reached capacity like AT, so more rides will have to be intermingled like this
Adz
Admin
Admin

I'm actually surprised by it. Once in the park the ride does seem to kinda fit. I wouldn't say its themed as such, instead the area is just nicely styled. I hate the typical Port Aventura gigantic cattlepen though. They need to stop doing that!
jackgcse

Its not ugly, however its a shame to dwarf the once very imposing Khan! Thats the problem, the tracks actually complement eachother in person, however dragon khan just simply looks insignificant!