The London Dungeon

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Ronnopm94

Ok so it's almost a year since the original London Dungeon shut it's doors and relocated to County Hall, springing a wave of rebranding across the entire dungeons chain. In my opinion, the new images used are not only generic, but look dull and lifeless with the same people portraying numerous characters. Whilst the toning down of white faced ghouls is fair enough, I can't help but feel that the new marketing relies too much on attempting to make the attraction look more like Horrible Histories and Monty Python than it's original roots as a gory showcase of history.

Whilst I can understand some of the past advertising was not particularly family friendly (a la bloody Mary zombie) the new one just looks despicably dull, uninviting and not in vein with the Dungeons themselves, whereas past adverts (Ghosts of York, extremis) were still, to me, depicting scary family fun whilst being full of life and colour.

What do you think?  :p)
Danny

Horrible Histories is a very popular kids brand and London Dungeons know this. I think they have changed their marketing to appeal more to children and be more humorous than scary. However, I have been on a number of times and have actually found some bits scary so feel that they try to appeal to kids so their target audience is greater, however is still just as good as it always has been. I first noticed this change when the London Tombs opened its doors almost right opposite the Dungeons. The Tombs is a scare attraction and I think they realised they can't compete, so they changed their marketing so there's no confusion between the two.
Just my opinions :)
Last edited by Danny on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronnopm94

Ahh that's quite reassuring. I was worried that the dungeons would lose their atmosphere and feel manufactured - I can understand them changing to evolve. I've only been to Blackpool Tower since the rebranding. I had mixed feelings but am returning this weekend so will see after a second visit. Would you say that the new London Dungeon is starting to get some of the atmosphere Tooley Street had?
Last edited by Ronnopm94 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

Ronnopm94 wrote: Ahh that's quite reassuring. I was worried that the dungeons would lose their atmosphere and feel manufactured - I can understand them changing to evolve. I've only been to Blackpool Tower since the rebranding. I had mixed feelings but am returning this weekend so will see after a second visit. Would you say that the new London Dungeon is starting to get some of the atmosphere Tooley Street had?
Yes. I've only been once and to start with felt quite empty, like it was so spacious it almost felt empty. However, once the scenes get going it's almost as good as Tooley Street :)
Last edited by Danny on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronnopm94

I'm hoping to go in April which will mean the new dungeon has been open for a whole year. Hopefully it will have settled and many of the issues will have been resolved. Tooley Street felt like something great that had grown and evolved, not manufactured for tourists. I think it will feel more like the dungeons when they start adding new attractions.
Last edited by Ronnopm94 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronnopm94

I am visiting in April, although the new adverts look dull and boring, with the website cringeworthingly attempting to be laugh out loud funny rather than the subtle gallows humour of the original.

Seen as it has been a year since the original shut it's doors, has the new managed to grow some of the atmosphere and character of the original or does it fall flat? Is it still scary and gory or trying to emulate horrible histories too much?

Like I said I am visiting but the boring looking new characters have immensely put me off. Is it still scary with funny gallows humour and innuendos, or just scenic rooms with actors trying to be funny after just going BoO?
Last edited by Ronnopm94 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeanGaryCox

I went to the old one back in october 2009, and visited the new one one in september... From what I remember the new one isn't as scary/gory as the old one (not sure if that's just because I'm now 19 instead of 15 back then), but I certainly found the new one to be more enjoyable as the script had a lot more humour in which had everyone laughing. The only downside of the new one is that because its all brand new, its quite hard to give the same effect of the old one as the old one had been there for years and the scenes actually looked a bit worn out and old which added to the theme, whereas with the new one you can't help but noticing that it's, well, new!
Image 2014
Jamie

The new Dungeon is nowhere near as scary, good or immersive as the original. Massive disappointment.
Themeparksandy1981

Is the rides better than in the old one?
Ryan.B

How big is the drop ride in the dungeons, the Edinburgh one was crazy and packed a massive punch for its size... My sister had more embarrassments sent than anyone else because her shirt flew up on the camera. ](*,)
Jared

The tower is 20ft and top loading. It's not all that powerful due to the floor.
Ryan.B

I find little drops more intense than rides such as jolly Rodger and Poccy sit down. London Dungeons does look more family orientated than before though
jamesc

Does anyone know how they make Jack the Ripper appear at the end when the lights go out?
As long as there is Imagination in the World, there will be bigger, better rides!
nickhutson

Yes.

Merlin Magic.
coasterchemist

Pretty simple really - there's a door behind the bar. When the lights go out, the door opens, the strobes start and he does his scaring then runs back into there before the main lights come back on again.
nickhutson

I wondered why the giftshop was selling everything off for sixpence.

If it utilises the full space, this should be quite good! It might also be open from the exit via county hall - which would make it quite a fun bar for curious people!

http://www.thedungeons.com/london/en/ex ... avern.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pull up a barstool and play the part of a punter this Christmas as The Tavern, The London Dungeon’s all new Victorian pub experience, throws open its doors to guests.

With a front row seat at the heart of this unique, storytelling experience you will be transported back to a vibrant, decadent and dodgy pub of 1896, where the gossip and scandal surrounding the local scoundrels, villains and working girls unravels around you.

Enjoy a tipple of bootleg beer, a Gin cocktail or traditional lemonade served up by our boastful East End Landlady and henpecked Landlord, as they compete to berate each other to anyone who’ll listen.

Round the corner there’s a game of ratting in full swing whilst at the bar speculation about the latest Ripper murders is rife. As piano belts out the latest music hall tunes and cards are dealt in the gambling den no two tables will get quite the same experience as further tales unfold about the Great Beer Flood amid rumours of a ghost.

This all new show, adds an exhilarating finale to The London Dungeon, where for the first time, you decide which story you see.

*One drink (beer or non alcoholic alternative) included as part of the show, further drinks can be purchased from the bar.
Dom

This looks like it could be a very good addition to the dungeons. I like the idea of you deciding which story you see.
N_B

It's a shame they don't do that with the pub at Blackpool Dungeon. I love the idea of each table getting a unique experience.

Is this just for the Christmas season or a permanent feature, do you know?
nickhutson

I guess it's a permanent thing as it's replacing the gift shop. As I said they were having a huge blitz of stock during the summer. I guess they'll make more money on alcohol than pens and wax hands!
N_B

nickhutson wrote:I guess it's a permanent thing as it's replacing the gift shop. As I said they were having a huge blitz of stock during the summer. I guess they'll make more money on alcohol than pens and wax hands!
Haha, that's true!

I don't know when I'll be in London next but I look forward to checking this out. Seems a great way to end the tour.