The London Dungeon

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
nickhutson

I think if we take the Blackpool Tower Dungeon as a template... The new London Dungeon should not disappoint.
Nick Hutson
Presenter - The Season Pass Podcast and Nick\'s Season Pass ERT
http://www.theseasonpasspodcast.com
Producer and Co-Presenter - MusicalTalk - The UK\'s Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
AstroDan

Blackpool is good, but the theme work is not as good as London.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
Dormiens-Dave

I thought the theming at blackpool was as good if not better than Londons. Certainly the inter scene theming is better.
AstroDan

Dormiens-Dave wrote: I thought the theming at blackpool was as good if not better than Londons. Certainly the inter scene theming is better.
When you consider the size and scale of the London attraction, the theming is much more widespread.

Blackpool has some good theming (like the bit in the woods), but I don't feel it's consistent as much as London.

The Castle Dungeon is very cheap by contrast.

I actually think it's a shame it's moving. I really like The London Dungeon. It is, by a mile, my favourite of the four I have been to (London/Castle/Blackpool/Edinburgh).

I could be completely swooned by the move though, if they get a big budget dark ride.
Tom G

I would say the Dungeons at the minute turn over at least £10m per year, so they can easily justify spending lots of money on the new place. With the potential for increased visitor numbers (eventually), it's a worthy relocation to say the least.

I thought Blackpool was great, the only things they really scrimped on were the trees in the witches scene and the video screens (IE not animations) at the top of Extremis.
nickhutson

London is the only one that has animatronics for Extremis.  The animatronics are pretty poor, so their thinking may be that projections may offer a more realistic experience (due to the crowd, etc)  Haven't seen any footage of any other drops, though. 

The new Dungeon location will be good for extremis as it will provide a top loading scenario (which makes a lot more sense). 

I think this move is, personally, the best thing that could happen to the Dungeon; it'll be great to explore it in 2013 not knowing what's around every corner!
Nick Hutson
Themeparksandy1981

Will they still have the traitor boat ride? The only problem I had with the London Dungeons was no toilets. I asked a member of staff who worked the boat ride and he said that a member of staff would have to take us back stage to use the staff toilets. I thought at least they should have them at the entrance and exit of the building.
Benzin

Yeah the Traitor ride will be at County Hall...

As for toilets, surely they have them at the entrance? Maybe another issue that will be solved by moving if not...
Rocket

There Are toilets in the current dungeons, just as you pass the payment booths. The toilets are on the left with the tour starting to the right (a sign does say, don't know if it was always there)
thefatone

Toilets are definitely there at beginning and exit (same toilets).

They don't have them in the middle as naturally it's a tour, meant to stay with same tour group etc. Good to know they let guests use the staff toilets when caught short though!
Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

Just to let you all know Vengeance has now re-opened
spark

To echo others if this is a carbon copy of what's currently on tooting st then no issues. If they think they can give us some half assed version they will be letting London and the country down

A nice new dark ride would be ace too
nickhutson

Do you mean Tooley Street?

I think the new Dungeon will be hugely superior to the current one... the space available will be better and they can start again with a lot of things.  I've talked to management of The Dungeon over the last few years - and they have been really crippled by the location.
Nick Hutson
jackgcse

I reckon a big move is because about a third of business is now being lost to the London Tombs, and that is proving more and more popular, and with good reason too, so moving it, to a 'Merlin-friendly' area is a good thing! It also makes it easy for tourists, and means Merlin can milk everything out of the tourists!

I do question just how long the move would take however! But I feel that is certainly the right desision, however probably destory the business of the London Tombs!

Also, do remember that the queues regularly reach the underground entrance, and cause a backlog of foot-traffic! So moving it, is simply idilic!
Adz
Admin
Admin

jackgcse wrote: I reckon a big move is because about a third of business is now being lost to the London Tombs, and that is proving more and more popular, and with good reason too, so moving it, to a 'Merlin-friendly' area is a good thing! It also makes it easy for tourists, and means Merlin can milk everything out of the tourists!

I do question just how long the move would take however! But I feel that is certainly the right desision, however probably destory the business of the London Tombs!

Also, do remember that the queues regularly reach the underground entrance, and cause a backlog of foot-traffic! So moving it, is simply idilic!
That and National Rail intends to do serious demolition work that would result in the closure of the dungeons at the current location anyway.

I'm wondering if National Rail is paying for this little jaunt across London for the Dungeons.
jackgcse

I doubt it, however its very conveinient for them!
However, national rail would have known about this for years before finaly declaring the maintenance! However we will wait and see! I do hope it moves though, as long as its not put in a giant white marquee outside the London eye, I will be happy! LOL! :)
spark

nickhutson wrote: Do you mean Tooley Street?

I think the new Dungeon will be hugely superior to the current one... the space available will be better and they can start again with a lot of things.  I've talked to management of The Dungeon over the last few years - and they have been really crippled by the location.
Yea iPad doesn't like certain words lol

Fingers crossed it turns out well 8)
nickhutson

I have heard that National Rail are indeed buying the Dungeon out, as it's not the Dungeon's fault that London Bridge wishes to expand.

A friend who knows someone who works at the Dungeon told me the employee said: "yeah... we've known about this for months and has been planned for years".
Nick Hutson
HFantasma

I'm very excited for this! It's a great move for Merlin to have their cluster (exc Tussauds) together. Their combi tickets will sell great and the new venue will give them a lot of space to work with. Obviously it'll be sad to see Tooley St go but from what I hear that venue is becoming more of a headache as time goes on, the building isn't in 100% condition and the trade they lose from LBE is also an annoyance. I don't think they've been doing that wonderful recently, obviously peak season they do fine but I went a few weekends ago and it was almost deserted. As for Tussauds moving, that would be the icing on the cake having all their cluster in one spot but they'd need a big space to make that worth while.
Next Trip: Alton Towers 16/17 October!
jon18uk

I've heard that the move is due to demolition of parts of London Bridge station too