Adventure Island

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Dr Pop Rocket

Made another video, this time about the Light Fantastic (aka, Light Blandtastic) event. Enjoy...:)

Low Quality
High Quality
Hurri

If you fancy owning a part of Beelzee Bob's Trail head on over to eBay...

Clicky

Currently selling one foam pumpkin. Mmm.[/url]
Hurri

Got another item up...

Clicky

Haven't you always wanted a pigdog demon head?
Dr Pop Rocket

I've been helping out with the Beelzee Bob's tear down and here are a few sneak peek photos of inside, these were from last week so a lot more has gone over the weekend but you get the general idea.

It's looking a mess at the moment, but next summer it will be looking very interesting, from what I've seen planned it will be a vast improvement on Beelzee Bob's Trail.

Finally, fancy a hand? The large werewolf you see in one of the photos above is having one of his hands auctioned off on Ebay, click.

PS: Some more Over the Hill concept artwork can be seen over at www.adventureislandguide.com if you want to take a nose.

:)
caffeine_demon

sniffles... I'm in mourning for the loss!
Hurri

The Adventure Island Guide presents an interview with Paul and Martin Clapp, the people in charge of the Over The Hill project -

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZLEoHCSRfig
Dr Pop Rocket

Updates

"The Aeronaut" was planned to open for the February Half Term but it appears that will not be the case now, due to a setback at the manufacturers in Germany, so it's opening date is currently not known.

As for "Over the Hill", more concept art has been released and can be seen here, while more Beelzee Bob's tear down photos can be seen here.

As for general park news, Lighthouse Slip is currently being completely refurbished and it appears Gold Mine is getting a re-theme, as well as that the entire little end of the park (Whip, Choo, Crooked House) is planned to be completely refurbished. Also, on top of that, "The Cow Jumped Over the Moon" has been moved elsewhere on park to make way for a 6 lane bowling alley.

Just thought I'd keep you updated...
Dr Pop Rocket

[quote=""marky.com""]Any ideas what Gold Mine's going to be rethemed as Dr Pop?[/quote]

It shall be re-themed to Devils Creek...

Gold Mine, Lucky Strike Arcade and the new Bowling Alley will all be part of the Devils Creek area and thus all will recieve a re-theme, it's going to be a more darker western theme. Gold Mine will be heavily re-themed and refurbished and will incorporate some Beelzee Bob's theming that has been completly overhauled.

As well as "Light Fantastic Weekends" returning next year, the park have announced for the October Half Term "Fright Fantastic". Should be interesting...
ihavenoknees

[quote=""Dr Pop Rocket""]Lighthouse Slip is currently being completely refurbished and it appears Gold Mine is getting a re-theme, as well as that the entire little end of the park (Whip, Choo, Crooked House) is planned to be completely refurbished.[/quote]

Does this mean they are not available at the moment?
Unless crazy weather stops play can I expect to find most rides open if I visit on Sunday :?:
see above[/i]
Dr Pop Rocket

[quote=""ihavenoknees""][quote=""Dr Pop Rocket""]Lighthouse Slip is currently being completely refurbished and it appears Gold Mine is getting a re-theme, as well as that the entire little end of the park (Whip, Choo, Crooked House) is planned to be completely refurbished.[/quote]

Does this mean they are not available at the moment?
Unless crazy weather stops play can I expect to find most rides open if I visit on Sunday :?:[/quote]

The only rides that are planned to be closed this Sunday are Lighthouse Slip and Blackbeards: All At Sea. Everything else should be open, as far as I'm aware. I'll be able to double check at work today what the exact ride availability will be for you.

Even in crazy weather, the only two rides that would close would be Sea Serpents and Lighthouse Slip (Which is closed anyway), so weather shall not effect the ride availability. The weather is meant to be quite nice this Sunday, so it should prove no problem.
ihavenoknees

Went today. You just cant prepare yourself for how short Rage is - but it was still great. Looks nice in the dark with those odd 'trees', and still better than a fair few of the longer coasters in this country. The part in-line-twist, part barrel roll was nicely done. Well so was the rest of it actually. :P

The Gold mine was a wtf moment for me - mainly because I spun more times than I have on Spinball Whizzer.

And as for the Barn Stormer, if you need to use water dummies could someone suggest they dress them up with wigs and funny hats

But this is no trip report, more gabble in my head befire asking about Green Scream. Apart from the fact some parts of the cars were next to fireball, why was it out of action :?:
see above[/i]
Dr Pop Rocket

[quote=""ihavenoknees""]And as for the Barn Stormer, if you need to use water dummies could someone suggest they dress them up with wigs and funny hats[/quote]

I'm sure someone will get round to dressing them up, they've only just been put on at the front, by next weekend I'm sure someone will be bored enough to do something with them. :P

[quote=""ihavenoknees""]But this is no trip report, more gabble in my head befire asking about Green Scream. Apart from the fact some parts of the cars were next to fireball, why was it out of action :?:[/quote]

Barnstormer and Green Scream have their trains taken apart each year for the annual inspection, Barnstormer just completed it's period of inspection and now it's Green Screams turn, thus it in pieces under the tunnel and around near fireball. Other rides such as Dragons Claw get two arms taken off each year for inspection also. GS should be back up a running by the end of January.
Dr Pop Rocket

Sorry about the double post...

Adventure Island featured on tonights episode of Little Miss Jocelyn on BBC Two. You can watch it online here, fast foward to about 27 minutes for the sketch featuring the park. I advise not to watch the show all the way through, it's terrible. :P
Ash

Oddly enough i saw this when it was on tonight!

How strange

Any updates on Over The Hill Dr P?
Dr Pop Rocket

Sorry Ash, no updates as of yet, but work is certainly underway. We've got a small OTH mini-page up on the official site now, you can take a look there (Clicky), you can see some of the other looks the Undertaker may take on (The amount of arguments he is causing is pathetic :P).

Oh, just for Mark, we've kept the creepy station porter and he has found a new home on park...:)

Although, I'm going to move him in front of the tower rather than underneath it, will get round to it on Tuesday. Finally, the park will feature on TV quite a bit this year, so I'll be sure to post air dates etc when I get told them.
Dr Pop Rocket

Updates

Southend Radio

Southend Radio officially launched on Friday the 28th of March. DJ's include Mikey Porter, Tracey Young, Adrian Fox, Pat Sharp and more. Photos of the launch can be seen at www.southendradio.com

Work is currently underway to transform the lower level of the new "Icon" building into an Italian restaurant. If the rest of the food is as good as the desert I tried yesterday it will be fantastic.

Gold Mine Re-theme

As the name "Devils Creek" suggests, there will be devils...of the cowboy kind.

All of the old scenery in the station ready to be dumped, except the following items, barrels and cacti.

Wagon Wheels as well as various rusted pieces of metal.

The village facade will be kept, but will recieve a lick of paint and some theming.
Wonder what this building will become...

The train will recieve a new look as well, no idea as to what is planned for it yet.

This was actually a water feature, well when it decided to work that was.

The cheap smoke machine that was in the tunnel and never worked.

More old scenery and theming.

Over the next couple of weeks the ride will be transformed and drastically improved as part of the parks gradual plan to give all of its old attractions a new lease of life.

Photos courtesy of Adventure Island Guide.

Shall keep you posted. :)
Dr Pop Rocket

Apologies for the double post but just a quick update on Devils Creek Gold Mine, photos courtesy of the AdventureIslandGuide.com

A new sign covers up the old "Peter Pans" one.

Hmm, Not only a link with Over The Hill, but the name seems to be a play on words of some famous movie director, no idea who. ;)

Beelzee Bob has left his trail to pursue a much more relaxed life as a bar owner. :P

Another building given a sense of identity which they formally did not have.

Inside the station, it is a lot more firey now.

As the sign says, "Welcome to Devils Creek".

Even now children have the risk of their arms being eaten off they will still ignore this vital rule. :lol:

Unfourtunately most of the models will be static as they were in Beelzee Bob's.

Bob's final resting place outside his beloved pub. As well as another Pigdog which is able to move and hopefully will be moving as intended when the ride opens fully.

Finally a drunk pigdog, what more could you ask for in a family ride.

Devils Creek Gold Mine will be open for preview rides this weekend and bank holiday monday as Adventure Island want a full ride line up then it will close down again as there is still a lot more work to do on it.

Ash

Fantastic, cheers for the update, what an interesting family park.

Ill have to make a trip down some day.
Hurri

The porter is looking after the Choo Choo Train, as mentioned earlier in the topic...
Dr Pop Rocket

Although no photos, throughout this week a brand new full ride audio system has been installed on Devils Creek Gold Mine by Adam Slevin Creative Services. I was treated to a preview of it today and it certainly is of an exceptional standard of which Adventure Island has not been treated to before.

It is very interesting, providing a dark wild west theme with a very comedic and camp touch. For example the random "Oooh Missus" that plays every minute or so in the outdoor section. :P

It shall be back open for the May Half Term and the Southend Airshow, but shall then close again so that more work can be completed, including new lighting and a large animatronic piece is planned to be installed also.