Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Dungeon-X-Smile

Swarm is a fantastic attraction and I don't think it gets the credit it deserves. It's theming is so amazing, the burnt church is incredible and it was clear that this attraction was designed with Fright Nights in mind, because they've managed to create an experience that totally changes after dark. I can see what they were trying to accomplish with the theme song, and although it is a tad strange, it's still commendable. The entire experience is one of the best that Thorpe has to offer, and they knocked it so far out of the ball park. 
Swarm Chris

The first drop into the roll is one of favourite sections of any ride. I've not ridden anything that gave me the sense of flying as that section does.

It just needed to be a little longer with maybe another airtime section to be perfect.
Swarm Chris

Another flat looks to have gone pop. Detonator has the attraction unavailable sandwich board this week.

Maintenance has lifted the carriage up and are currently inspecting the insides of the base.

Edit: Make that two. Rush currently has a man climbing to the top.
Edit 2: Rush just needed regular quick maintenance and is back up again on one arm.
Edit 3: Maintenance are working in the Vortex control room. Looks like they may be replacing some electronics/electrical bits in there.
Swarm Chris

Colossus has been closed since yesterday and today it appears they have closed off the walkway through the Colossus area.

Little concerning that they've had to close one of the main arteries of the park off, unless maintenance are actively working in the area.

Credit: @miggsymagpie on Twitter.
Last edited by Dan on Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added image & linked to source
Dan

Thorpe Park have updated their website with some more information on Zombie Hunt, which will run between 21st July-3rd September.
A hoard of zombies has invaded the woodland on the outskirts of THORPE PARK Resort – and we need your help to hunt them down before we have an epidemic on our hands! Grab your weapons and join the cause as you head into the woods in this extreme battle for survival.
The below images taken from Thorpe Park’s Instagram story, suggest Zombie Hunt will take place on the old Canada Creek Railway line, with Zombie Hunt being advertised as in association with “Courageous Citizens Recruitment”.

Dan

It must be a fairly major issue if they’ve had to close off the pathway.

It makes you wonder if they’ve discovered some structural issues with the track and/or supports, which require vehicle access to resolve?
Swarm Chris

It certainly suggests something not particularly great going on. Blocking off where they have closes the hot-dog vendor and shop, suggesting that something near the cobra roll is going to be worked on.

Last weekend I spotted some staff taking note of things at the gate opposite Samurai, which looks out onto the four rolls, but of course this could have been anything.

I remember being stood outside the shop in 2012 near some of the larger supports and they would shake like crazy. They've since redone the concrete on those and I haven't seen any of the same supports shake like that this year.
Justin

Goodbye Colossus?

It could explain this, which I saw two weeks ago...

Ladyofthelake

As rough as Colossus is, can Thorpe really afford to lose it right now? With Loggers Leap clearly not returning, if Colossus did close for good that would be the loss of two major rides without replacement. Whilst you could argue we've gained DBGT, it really can't be compared to the likes of a major log flume or coaster.The only other possibility I can think of is if this may have some connection to some potential future plans (maybe Project 2020, or another development in that area).

It would seem odd if Colossus did close with it only returning to two train operations this season. I would have thought it would have to be a major structural issue for them to close it for good.
Jack

It was noticed that Colossus' merchandise is having a "clear-out" style sale, hinting that it could be removed or rethemed at the end of the season. It's concerning that it's shut off like this from the public with no official word from the park about its extended closure to guests, however that could be a sign they are not set to close for an extended period :)
Swarm Chris

From the look of the terrible operations they seemed to have across the park today, no, they need the capacity that the Colossus queue provides.

Sadly I don't see this as a planned closure for good. They would have milked the "ride it one last time" aspect.

Could be an environmental issue. There is a drain at the top end towards Rocky Express that has had fairly nasty brown water coming out of it most of the season.

Could even be that a family of swans decided to make a nest in the enclosed area and now we'll have to wait for them to move out. :)
streetmagix

I noted earlier in the year (see my post above) that they'd added basically a brick dam around some of the submerged supports. I think these might have even been added after the start of the season too.

I don't think I've ever seen them close off that walkway/plaza before even when Colossus has been not operating. It really doesn't bode well.
Robert.W

I can't tell if you're joking about the swans, Chris :lol

Certainly unusual, a bit worrying even. Whatever is wrong must be pretty significant for them to close one of the walkways under the ride. 

Also, interesting what Jack says about some sort of clear out of the ride's merchandise... I had actually suspected that Colossus might not be in operation at all during 2018, as some of the concept art for The Walking Dead: The Ride didn't feature Colossus at all, despite it showing other nearby rides. I'm going to take a wild guess that Thorpe were aware that the ride may be coming to the end of its life, and possibly even intended to shut it this year, but for whatever reason, decided to delay shutting it until next year, but now is suffering structural problems..? Who knows – but it's fun to speculate!

Swarm Chris

Robert.W wrote:I can't tell if you're joking about the swans, Chris :lol
Maybe... maybe not :lol.

I mean it is a little late, but we're just about within swan nesting season according to Google and there are a huge number of swans in the area. The wet and secluded nature of that part is somewhat perfect for them. Given the short number of operating hours, there's plenty of time for something to decide that's home now!

Edit: But if it were, I'm sure someone on staff would have taken a photo of it by now :lol.
Justin

As pictured, Colossus merchandise was the only items on sale and as far as I can tell, it was every item. I did mention to Jack about the possibility of a retheme and we joked about calling it now, however, now we have this :|

With regards to making a song and dance about riding it while you can, Loggers Leap didn't have it, nor did The Flume at Alton. X didn't even have a big send off before the ride was rethemed... it just happened!
Stan.H

The Love Island Lates tickets are now available, with it only costing £10 for Standard MAP and Thorpe Park season pass holders. The event is free for PMAP and VMAP holders.
Wagstaff04

I think there will be some sort of special event if it does close, as this was the ride which changed Thorpe into a major competitor in the UK theme park industry, and put it on the map not unlike Corkscrew. 
Justin

Did it reopen today?
Swarm Chris

Nope.

Day 3 of Colossus being closed.

Edit: Colossus has been added to the Thorpe Park website ticker, stating it is closed along with Vortex. So looks like they're expecting it to be closed for some time.
Justin

Dan wrote:Thorpe Park have updated their website with some more information on Zombie Hunt, which will run between 21st July-3rd September.
A hoard of zombies has invaded the woodland on the outskirts of THORPE PARK Resort – and we need your help to hunt them down before we have an epidemic on our hands! Grab your weapons and join the cause as you head into the woods in this extreme battle for survival.
The below images taken from Thorpe Park’s Instagram story, suggest Zombie Hunt will take place on the old Canada Creek Railway line, with Zombie Hunt being advertised as in association with “Courageous Citizens Recruitment”.

It will be interesting to see what form this takes. To me, it sounds like a laser quest style attraction. I can see participants putting on a pack, then walk through shooting targets on mannequins and the odd actor.