Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Bert

This year has been the first time visiting Thorpe Park, The park surpassed all expectations, Theming, Staff, F&B, Rides. Derren Brown's Ghost Train was absolutely amazing knocking Hex off my Number One dark ride, X, My first Vekoma and Indoor coaster whilst the ride was a lot tamer than I expected the atmosphere was fantastic the X soundtrack was amazing. And that soundtrack, What an amazing soundtrack for the Island as it sets up the atmosphere greatly. After wanting to visit for a few years I'm glad I finally got round to doing it!
[Insert Signature Here]
Mermalizer

I went to Thorpe Park for two days in September and I had an amazing time. Part of it was because it was relatively quiet, though there were still queues since most of the big coasters were on one train. SAW, however, was running like a machine and was incredibly efficient. I did it four times - after the third time, we went off the ride but they let us get back on for another round! Probably the highlight of the visit. The other rides were running well too - I found Colossus very rough the second time, but the first time was fun; The Swarm is just as good as it's always been; Nemesis Inferno was great, and this time the lights were on, we even got the mist on the second time. I even got my sister to go on Stealth! I loved it but she didn't quite share the same opinion. Tidal Wave might just be my favourite water ride, and X was great too. Derren Brown's Ghost Train was a bit better than last year, though the end of the second VR is still naff.

In terms of F&B services, I tried Bush BBQ and Nitrogenie. Bush BBQ was very nice, and Nitrogenie (which I tried the last time I went to Thorpe Park) was great too, and the service was far quicker this time around. I enjoyed seeing the new theming around the park, and the music is absolutely superb. Staying at the Shark was really fun and I enjoyed going into the dome in the evening.

I'm glad I went back this year, because I feel like things have really improved at the park. Even some of the old signs in the window of the Megastore were changed to new ones. If I were to suggest some changes, I'd say to refine the security checks and organise things better, and maybe give the rides some more TLC. Colossus needs a good clean. I would have also preferred two train operation on some of the bigger rides, but it was quiet in the park so I understand why they'd stuck to one train. But honestly? I absolutely loved going back to Thorpe Park this year. I'm hoping to do Towers next year for SW8 but I'd love to do Thorpe again as well if I have time. 
Prepare to be mermalized!
Justin

I've visited THORPE PARK less this year but I hope to return next year with a fresh pair of eyes as I just haven't felt it! For me, the park has a different vibe from the other resorts (and rightly so) therefore I feel less relaxed when I visit, compared to Alton or Chessington, due to the size of the park and how busy it feels. While we've had Ghost Train, I also don't feel we have really had anything new and the closure of Slammer and Loggers Leap hasn't helped. 

Overall, the park has worked well to please guests but change is needed!
Dom

As reported on SouthParks Facebook Page, Thorpe Park have won a Themed Entertainment Association THEA Outstanding Achievement Award for Derren Brown’s Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon. The resort will formally receive the award at the THEA awards gala on April 7th. Congratulations Thorpe Park and the team behind the ride :)
Nickolai

I can fully understand why they have been given the award. From start to finish DBGTROTD is an amazing experience. I will echo Dom's congratulations to the teams behind the magic!
Formally Smiler313
Bert

Woo! Well Done Thorpe, DBGT:ROTD is awesome!
[Insert Signature Here]
Dan

Without wanting to sound too negative, I’m not sure how an attraction that has constant technical issues and almost never has every aspect of the experience working can win an Outstanding Achievement Award :-k
Dom

I'd say it won because it is actually quite an impressive attraction underneath it all. Its a very technical attraction and I would say it actually deserves to recognized for it. I won't deny its had issues, but it is getting a lot better. Given that a lot of the technology has either never been used on the scale before or never been used with other pieces of tech before, i'd say its actually doing very well. It does not deserve the sheer amount of hate it gets. Yes i'm not its biggest fan, but credit should be given where it is due.
Dan

Dom wrote:I'd say it won because it is actually quite an impressive attraction underneath it all. Its a very technical attraction and I would say it actually deserves to recognized for it. I won't deny its had issues, but it is getting a lot better. Given that a lot of the technology has either never been used on the scale before or never been used with other pieces of tech before, i'd say its actually doing very well. It does not deserve the sheer amount of hate it gets. Yes i'm not its biggest fan, but credit should be given where it is due.
Don’t get me wrong Dom, I do actually like DBGT and I do agree that it is a very impressive overall attraction.

However, an outstanding achievement would have been for it all to be working properly on a consistent basis which I think we can all agree it just doesn’t do.
Dom

Finally got round to writing in this topic. Took me long enough. I've enjoyed this season. Rise of the demon opening on my birthday was awesome and definitely made it feel a bit more special. I am sad that Slammer has closed as it was actually a flat ride i could do, but i hope its going to be replaced by something that i can do. Chances are it won't but one can wish :lol I will admit I was partially proven incorrect with regards to Fright Nights. Sanctum was exactly what i thought it was going to be like, which is a shame, but Living Nightmare was actually good. I think with some tweaks it could be made even better. It was lovely seeing P15 and Big Top getting more investment and made even better. I hope 2018 is just as good as 2017.
Ladyofthelake

X is set to get a re-theme for the 2018 season. As reported by SouthParks News, the existing entrance pyramid is to be demolished and replaced with a new watch tower entrance. This watch tower will include a new baggage hold and pre-show.

Whilst the new theme hasn't been confirmed, the project name 'X:\NWO WD' does hint that we may be seeing a permanent The Walking Dead attraction. 
Justin

It looks very likely that this will be a Walking Dead attraction, however, with the introduction of another IP outside of Fright Night, it looks like Thorpe Park is positioning themselves as a resort to rival any potential London Resort. I think we will see more IP attractions after this too, be it a brand new development or retheme.
alicheesy

Of course being a massive X fan I'm very sad about this (rave coaster wooo), but hopefully it'll be good.

I think having an indoor horror ride next to an indoor horror ride may be a bit much and I would've preferred a revamped X with better lights, theming and audio.

RIP X, forever in our hearts ;_;
Thank you to Owen for the most fabulous signature to ever exist ever
Dan

alicheesy wrote:Of course being a massive X fan I'm very sad about this (rave coaster wooo), but hopefully it'll be good.

I think having an indoor horror ride next to an indoor horror ride may be a bit much and I would've preferred a revamped X with better lights, theming and audio.

[move]:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol[/move]
alicheesy

Dan wrote:
alicheesy wrote:Of course being a massive X fan I'm very sad about this (rave coaster wooo), but hopefully it'll be good.

[move]:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol[/move]
You're crying on the inside
Bert

Noooo.....

X was the one family coaster at Thorpe, And it's by far the tamest ride I've been on. Why are they retheming it, it literally just got a refurb in summer...

Also when I rode X I loved it not because it had any force or anything, just because it was a cool rave with the New IMAScore soundtrack. 

RIP X.

Typical Merlin, Refurbing an attraction just to refurb it shortly after and putting a horror theme on a family coaster... Ooh look Shipping Containers as well...
[Insert Signature Here]
alicheesy

Bert2theSpark wrote:Noooo.....

X was the one family coaster at Thorpe, And it's by far the tamest ride I've been on. Why are they retheming it, it literally just got a refurb in summer...

Also when I rode X I loved it not because it had any force or anything, just because it was a cool rave with the New IMAScore soundtrack. 

RIP X.

Typical Merlin, Refurbing an attraction just to refurb it shortly after and putting a horror theme on a family coaster... Ooh look Shipping Containers as well...
Flying fish is a thrill coaster? XD
Morgan

It's an odd decision as others have said it's very popular among younger guests, so to have it receive ANOTHER scary IP is... disappointing to say the least. Don't get me wrong, I love horror, but I feel that too many horror rides in one park isn't exactly fun...
Chris
Admin
Admin

Of course we need to be optimistic and hopefully some nice theming will be put inside that immerses you in to the world of Walking Dead..

However, once again Merlin will probably spray dark paint all over it to make it 'dilapidated', stick a shipping container in and do a half arsed job on theming as always. ANOTHER horror themed attraction is getting ridiculous, especially when you have DBGT next door, Swarm one side of the park, and Saw just down the way with a similar looking barbed wire queue line.

Once again the rest of the park is not being considered when having a balanced mix of unique themes and attractions.

At least the ingrained chewing gum throughout the queueline will fit in now.. yawn.
ThemeCrafter264

I'm not at all looking forward to this whatsoever. A good, fun, recently refurbished family attraction is turning into something dark and depressing, to fit even less in the surrounding area. Thorpe Park was starting to go back to it's good old roots, with a higher focus on family fun rather than apocalyptic, unnecessarily scary themes, and with this, I have a feeling it will look and be a complete utter mess.