Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
BigAl

As I said, it references the earlier stunt. That stunt was distasteful.
JoshC.

I thought the Wayne Rooney prostitute thing had practically nothing to do with the park, it was just coincidence that the setting was the park and they were able to use it to their advantage?
Who is Lez Cougan?
I am Lez Cougan.
We are Lez Cougan.
Nightfall

I think Dan raises a very good point. If we keep moaning over every bad publicity stunt we see all we're doing is further highlighting the stunt and proving to whoever comes up with these things that they do get attention. These stunts aren't meant to be taken seriously, hence why they appear in newspapers like the Daily Star and The Sun which print this sort of drivel every day. The people publishing this want you to sigh in despair and hopefully leave a long comment about how disgraceful it is as that is how they make their money.

The only one of these publicity stunts that I feel actually overstepped the line was the Th13teen age restriction. This wasn’t because what was being said was particularly outrages (although it was) but because they presented it in an official press statement.
[align=center]Image[/align]
BigAl

The thing is, not every stunt is bad. And people complaining about the bad stunts isn't good. Just because someone talks about Thorpe Park doesn't mean they're going to give them their money. And if the comment is negative then others will want to know why there area negative comments regarding Thorpe and that may very well put them off from going.

The prostitute stunt can't be doing much for the park if they've now had to go to the Sun.
ponder

I think Inferno gets a bit of a raw deal if I'm honest. Is it the best B&M out there? Of course not, not by a long way, but it doesn't make it a bad coaster. To me, a bad coaster is something that's almost instantly forgettable, like Rip Ride Rocket for example.

I think part of the reason it's so heavily criticised is because it's name pre-fix, manufacturer and model create a certain level of expectation, and when that expectation isn't met it becomes underwhelming. However, this is a natural reaction to anything that fails to live up to the hype that's often been created by yourself, whether it be a film with a huge viral campaign or an eagerly anticipated album. Again, this doesn't make it a bad coaster.

Inferno isn't as good as the other inverts I've ridden - Nemesis, Montu and Batman - but I still enjoy it for what it is, a solid, smooth and enjoyable experience with, I think, a decent level of theming (certainly when compared to many, many other UK rides).

Something interesting I've noticed, is that the other B&M inverts that people are comparing it to are the stand-out coasters in their respective parks, perhaps with the exception of Montu, yet Inferno would probably be considered as a mid-card attraction at Thorpe - it's certainly behind Swarm, Saw and Stealth in terms of how it's marketed by the park. Looking at it from that perspective, I don't think it's really as bad as some like to make out.

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps
RollercoasterGEEK100

I do know one B&M invert that dose not stand up to Inferno and that is Silver Bullet.  :|

Credit to NemesisRider
Nightfall

iriderides101 wrote: I was reading this article
http://www.rollercoasterphilosophy.com/2012/x-flight/

Not sure about this articles sources but it appears B&M aren't designing coasters to be as intense as they used to be, which could explain as to why inferno does not match its older sibling. If you read the article it has a really valid point about the design of B&M coasters that they offer 'flight' experiences, which is true most of it coasters designs have evolved in some way or other to give a feeling of flight so inverted-floorless-flyer and now wing rider (I don't necessarily mean the flying position which air provides).
It's not so much a source as an observation, and an accurate one in my opinion. I don't think B&M have ever described their newer coasters like this but there’s no doubt their design emphasis has changed over the years.

However I don’t think this is the major failing of Nemesis Inferno. Firstly I’d blame the reliance on more advanced computer design. When the original Nemesis was built computer design was basic. It was at the stage when new and exciting elements where possible but the forces at every point could not be perfected. As a result these imperfect elements couldn’t provide the more consistent forces of later models* but as a result had more character to them and often pushed boundaries that later design wouldn’t go beyond.
The second reason I’d claim is that B&M lacked creativity for most of the 2000’s. This criticism in no way solely applies to Inferno. I said the same thing about Black Mamba (full review here). However with Inferno it is much more noticeable because the ride is neither large enough to make up for its failings with pure scale or as well presented as rides like Mamba.

* remember that Inferno is actually more intense than Nemesis in terms of g-force.

Also if you want to see Jeremy's review of Nemesis Inferno (and Thorpe Park in general) it can be found here.
[align=center]Image[/align]
Jammydodger

I like it, its one of the only B&Ms where I've come of feeling a bit sick.
It had a lot to live up to after the original, but it has its own charm.

Plus lets face it, any ride that has a bass cannon in its station is epic in its own right....(regardless of whether that cannon still works or not)
starbugger1303

A very interesting (well I think) has been uploaded by the studios who made the advert, about the making about said advert.. :)

dominoes

Wow, I think that they could have made an amazing teaser with just the version of the animation with the guy being picked up. I feel it was kind of spoilt with all the over acting and clips of the coaster. Although, I have to say the teasers they actually made were pretty good as well, and the overall advert is very high quality.
Rocket

I was at Thorpe again today.
9:30 openings on weekends and holidays continue, but only 1 train operation on colossus and swarm :(
Stealth and nemesis luckily opened with 2.
By 2 everything had 5 minute queues, during half term! Though the rain didn't help
adsyrah

Hi all!

Went to Thorpe last Monday (the jubilee bank holiday) expecting the place to be heaving, but thankfully the longest we queued was for Saw (60 mins) and that was by far the longest.

The Swarm, on the other hand, had pretty short queues each time we went on it!

First ride was first thing in the morning - we'd arrived for 9.15 so entered the park at 9.30. We were told the ride would be operational from 10am and decided on getting there first as a 30 minute queue was doable. To our surprise the ride had opened by the time we got there (about 9.40) and we walked straight on! We rode the very back row on the right and my god it was good! The turn around the helicopter in the outside seat was the highlight - I was so close to the water! As we vacated the ride there was an announcement to let riders waiting know that the second train was being added so the ride was stopped - we'd managed to get there just in time to have the last ride with only one train. Phew.

Second ride (about 1pm) we queueed for 10 minutes and then saw there was no queue for the front so opted to get a front seat pass. *Just* before the train came in for us to board the ride broke down. It only took 10 minutes to get it back up again after a bit of a test. We rode on the left front row this time and it made for a completely different ride which surprised me. The plane wing head-chopper and the zero-g roll were the highlights this time. We found the zero-g roll and the turnaround after really disorientating.

Third ride (about 4pm) we queued about 25 minutes for and opted to go for a middle-row seat. We were directed to the right of the train this time and the ride was very similar to the first ride, but maybe not quite as intense due to not being whipped around like the back row does.

All-in-all it's a VERY good ride. Could do with being a bit longer maybe and doesn't beat Nemesis for me as there are no surprises like with Nemesis (by virture of Nemesis being in a big ditch) - plus Nemesis is more intense in my opinion without being OTT. I find Stealth more exhilerating than The Swarm, but The Swarm is a very well-themed and good all-round coaster.

One other thing I noticed about the ride is just how majestic it is to watch. The trains (if you ignore the riders) really do look like a bat-like creature swooping around a disaster zone. The fact B&M and Thorpe have managed to pull that off is amazing.
Last edited by adsyrah on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
iriderides101

Sorry for going off topic, and this may have already been posted on here but

Does anyone know about the size restrictions for this ride? As in upper height/ chest?
ian123

iriderides101 wrote: Sorry for going off topic, and this may have already been posted on here but

Does anyone know about the size restrictions for this ride? As in upper height/ chest?
The website says no taller than 1.96m (6' 5").

Riders must be properly secured in the seat, which may not be possible for some guests with larger torso or thigh measurements approaching 51 inches. THORPE PARK advise guests to use the test seat at the ride entrance before queueing.
cubwolf

I really struggle on Nemesis and colossus but fitted very easily on the swarm.
It's quite accommodating
SwEDEN

So after a promising start to the 2012 season maybe a few thought, could they of finally fixed Slammer's reliability problem. That was until a few days ago when the inevitable happened, "SLAMMER IS CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE", now this wouldn't normally interest me but over the past year i've been hearing people saying Slammer will soon be removed from Thorpe, others say this is only a rumour.

I just wan't to know, is Slammer staying therefore meaning the rumours are false, or has the mighty Sky Swat finally met it's end at Thorpe?
AstroDan

I reckon it'll be off. Which frankly, will be a shame. I know quite a lot of people dislike it and yes, the shoulder restraints are uncomfortable, but the ride offers a genuinely scary and thrilling experience - unique to Thorpe Park!

:(
Tom G

I think it should go now. Capacity/loading is outrageous. It is a cool ride and I was pleased to finally get on it for the first time ever in March this year, but it does not belong at a park like Thorpe anymore.
Meat Pie

It's only redeeming feature is that it's impressive to watch, so good riddance if it does go. :|
AKA the vocal minority.
Bear

As much as the ride is horrendous at shifting the smallest of queues, I really enjoy the ridiculous experience it offers. If it does go, I may gently weep.