Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Stan.H

I know i'm sounding dumb here, but, why is their a "splash zone" by the fire engine? :yes:
Max

Because it sometimes sprays water out of the front. However, like most of the effects it's very hit and miss.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
Owen

CONTAINMENT from 2015's FRIGHT NIGHTS event has been confirmed to be a permanent attraction at Thorpe Park Resort.

I personally enjoyed this experience at the event but wouldn't pay full price (free for hotel guests). So what do you think is going to happen, will it be changed to be family friendly, or will nothing have changed at all?

SouthParks are expected to receive more details later today.
Discuss!
Last edited by Owen on Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liam.W

I personally think that seasonal attractions should stay that way because then they are not as special when fright nights is on.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Owen

AS we don't know any more details we cannot be sure the attraction will be necessarily themed to the previous FRIGHT NIGHTS theme as 2015. It is likely, however there is also the possibility the attraction will receive a face lift to suit a different theme and market.
NemeJaney

I never went in it so I can't personally say if I like this idea or not, but I kind of agree with Liam, it might lose something by being permanent. However, there's always a chance they might have developed it since fright nights in such a way that makes it good for being a whole-season attraction.
Dom

I don't understand why they would do this. Containment is a good and quite fun seasonal attraction, but i think it becoming a permanent attraction will kill it. Thorpe generally don't have a very good reputation when it comes to things like this. If they keep it refreshed and keep changing it than i think it could possibly work, but given the fact this is Merlin, i doubt it will change in any way throughout the year. It doesn't generally have a good throughput either. When myself and others from TTSP did this last year, our booked time slot was 9pm and we didn't get in until about 9:45pm. This was down to it being e-stopped a load of times because people kept freaking out. So if they are to make it a permanent attraction than they will need to find a way to keep the E-stops down and keep throughput at a very good pace too!
Dan

I found Containment to be awful and a waste of time so I cannot understand why they've decided to make it a permanent attraction.

If it's linked in with DBGT somehow it may be somewhat forgivable but I don't see the sense in it right now.
Owen

HERE is Southparks article on the attraction.

Plans state that the exterior and location will not change as well as the maze layout. A permanent queue will be added to create a simplified system. A new container will also be added for staff so that they do not have to walk out of the maze in their outfits and across the pavement.

Sawboss

So was it an mainly actor driven experience? Didn't they already try that with the Saw maze?
Owen

There are 3 actors overall, with one staff member outside - these were very effective and I'm sure it would be much easier to staff with just 4 actors to cater for. Also we must remade this may just be for 2016 as a way to earn a little more money while the crowds increase for GHOST TRAIN.
Luce

I'm not sure about this as when I did Containment last Fright Nights, I didn't think it was worth the money. However, if some improvements were made, I'd be happy to give it another try :)
Stan.H

Ministry Of Sound Club Nights 2016 (official dates):

Saturday 23rd July 2016
Saturday 20th August 2016
Saturday 1st October 2016

Doors open 8pm-3am with rides from 8pm-11pm.

Tickets are available to purchase soon...
MerlinFan

Well mainstream schools break up in last week of July and go back at the start of September then... private schools are different (and get too much holiday lol).

Hampshire schools website says the summer holiday is 21st July - 4th September. Most other counties will follow suit.

Also, be aware that a lot of schools will be running school trips to Thorpe Park in the few weeks leading up to the holidays and a few weeks after they return to school. So plan well!
NemesisRider

Recently, I and some other enthusiasts have noticed something odd. I've been unable to find the video again, but it showed The Swarm's trains in strip down and the back two rows were facing forward. Also, they released another screenshot today of what are presumed to be the chassis' (if I'm wrong I mean the main train bits the seats are attached to) of the back two rows.
Next year could we not Brave It Backwards? Or has this always been done?
Max

I hope they turn them around again, back row when it went forwards was insane.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
Dom

It does look likely that brave it backwards has now left The Swarm. There are no references to it on the mobile version of Thorpe Parks website. I hope they have moved it to all forwards. Always wondered what backrow forward would be like!
Sawboss

Dom wrote:Always wondered what backrow forward would be like!
Yeah could be pretty fast and thrilling :D I only know one person who's ridden it backwards and they gave it a distinct 'Meh'.
Dom

Sawboss wrote:
Dom wrote:Always wondered what backrow forward would be like!
Yeah could be pretty fast and thrilling :D I only know one person who's ridden it backwards and they gave it a distinct 'Meh'.
I've done The Swarm backwards before and it is a bit meh. I meant, if they have turned the backwards rows forward, i wonder what backrow facing forward is like :lol
Ladyofthelake

It certainly would be an interesting decision from Thorpe if they are making The Swarm completely forwards again. I can only think that the backwards option has been decreasing in popularity therefore they've decided it's not worth keeping. I would have thought having an additional two rows on each train now will help the throughput - albeit only a little, but even a little on each train will make a difference to queue-times.

I was always in two minds about the backwards option. At first I found it a very odd sensation, especially going up the lift hill. I liked it because it was a different experience, but at the same time you didn't get the experience of the near misses as you couldn't see them coming which kind of took away from the ride a little.