Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Morgan

Didn't Jungle Escape get relatively low footfall, along with a significant drop in price towards the end of its run? It's a surprise that it's returning if so, especially if it's retaining the upcharge (although it seems some sort of ticketing is necessary for this given it's low capacity).
Swarm Chris

Yep. There was barely ever anyone waiting at it and for a while it had a member of events staff out front attempting to lure people in. Ironically when I did go in via a paid ticket, no one told the staff operating it and they didn't turn up on time.

The story description appears to be the same as last year, so I'd assume nothing has changed inside, which won't help things.
Swarm Chris

As posted by Thorpe Park Mania, Thorpe Park have given an interview to Companion Stairlifts where they have made the following quote:
In fact, as part of our long-term plan and from reviewing our producers and guest feedback, starting in our 2020 season we have increased the number of rides our physically disabled guests can experience.
It makes me wonder if the work to the Nemesis Inferno station has included reinstating the lift access, as this is one of the few remaining rides with poor mobility access.
Swarm Chris

As posted by SouthParks social media, celebrate the start of the season with Saturday Night KISS! the Thorpe Park Launch Party on 21st March between 7pm-2am. Giving access to the park a week before it opens, this neon-themed launch party will give exclusive access to some of the Resort's roller coasters, food and drink, and a party from 10pm-2am from KISS FM’s top DJs such as Billy Da Kid, Tyler West, Scott Garcia & DJ Policy. 

Tickets to the event will cost £10, with hotel packages available, and is a strictly over 18 event. More information can be found here.

Will you be celebrating the start of the season at Thorpe Park?
Swarm Chris

Thorpe Park appear to have confirmed that WiFi will no longer be free at the park for day guests, and instead become a hotel guest only perk. Additionally unlimited fastrack appears to be given to hotel guests, rather than the one hour limited fast track of previous years.

Source: Thorpe Park Twitter

Seems an incredibly weird decision, given the hotel is pretty tiny and WiFi was provided by TheCloud for free, as in many tourist attractions. Not really sure why this is a thing now being advertised.
Morgan

I- what? Surely this can't be right in this day and age. I'm thinking this might just be an error in the promo image, but if it is indeed true, then that isn't exactly going to incentivise guests to stay an extra day just so then can check Instagram in the queues. Really odd considering how the park has had free Internet for ages, and it's very much a standard at visitor attractions nowadays.
Swarm Chris

Given the amount of people who have questioned this advert, especially on Facebook and no response has been given by the park, I can only assume it's true.

Otherwise, it would appear to be an incredibly misleading advert that they're allowing to remain on their feeds.

Edit:

I asked them about this last week, and didn't get a response to say it wasn't the case. Source: Me on the Twitter.
AltonOperator

The website (which is using the same new branding as the twitter post) confirms that unlimited fast track is still only for an hour

https://www.thorpebreaks.co.uk/offers/e ... gIzMvD_BwE
Thanks Jack
Swarm Chris

AltonOperator wrote:The website (which is using the same new branding as the twitter post) confirms that unlimited fast track is still only for an hour

https://www.thorpebreaks.co.uk/offers/e ... gIzMvD_BwE
If that's the case, then it would appear that this advert then is misleading at best and deliberately false at worst?

Very odd for a subsidiary of a multi-billion pound company.
Owen

All I see here is usual PR spin that you find with every major company. I don’t necessarily think it’s anything to get worked up over (not that I agree with it either).

They’re always going to try and make things seem more peachy than they are, the worst offender I’ve seen recently is easily Disney, who have their “adults at child’s prices!” ticket offer on (bringing adult tickets to £70) which is still vastly overpriced compared to third parties, but to their site it is technically a deal. They’re not lying about ‘Free Unlimited Fastrack” as you are getting just that. An hour of free use of the “Unlimited Fastrack” product the Resort sell (a fact that is reaffirmed multiple times when booking).

The free WiFi thing is just a mistake by all accounts which at this point doesn’t shock me... but hey at least their website works unlike Towers, who currently have sold out of every Enchanted Village lodge on property for the entire season :lol
Swarm Chris

In the Disney case though the offer was based on upon existing prices. So yep, whilst comical that there's barely any difference in price, there's no question of the accuracy of the advert.

Literally calling something Unlimited, saying no further words are needed, but it possibly turning out that actually yes further words are needed because it may be far from Unlimited if it only lasts an hour, starts bringing in a level of dishonesty. Such dishonesty in advertising would head towards false or misleading advertising, which brings us into the realm of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations, which protect from:
The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations mean you cannot mislead or harass consumers by, for example:
  • including false or deceptive messages
  • leaving out important information
  • using aggressive sales techniques
Similarly, if it turns out the WiFi issue isn't true, then that's another issue.

Simply no business should be operating in a way where adverts could appear to be deceptive, and UK law is very clear in that.

I've highlighted this issue from Thorpe Park, but I've seen a lot of questionable adverts from across Merlin, including a recent Merlin Annual Pass advert that said things you can do this weekend with your annual pass and showed a series of roller coasters that were of course in parks that are closed. I just cannot understand why this essentially dishonesty is a thing. Especially when they have previously been in trouble with the Advertising Standards Authority for similar things.

Edit: more Merlin bad advertising. An advert for an event that finished yesterday.
Owen

Again, not arguing that it’s necessarily okay - just that what they’re stating isn’t false (misleading, but not false) and is immediately clarified multiple times during the booking process. In regard to Disney my point is that they’re charging more money on their website using the same offer as third parties (causing an almost £20 price increase in places). A more on the nose example is Samsung calling their new phone display glass, when in reality it’s plastic - something that is stated literally in the boxes literature and sold as a lie.

I have experience in advertising and so I’m very acquainted with both the Customer Protection Regulations as well as ASA, however, personally I just don’t think it’s that deep when all said misleading advertising is rectified way before point of purchase and therefore is clearly just a complete oversight by the design marketing team - something that I do believe is ridiculous when it can be fixed by adding an asterix next to the Fastrack deal and a a tick against free WiFi in the park. Again, not arguing that it’s okay, just that I don’t necessarily think it should be taken as such a big deal because I don’t know a company that doesn’t do this (and more to be quite honest).

I do wonder when TT lost its magic, and I think when parks are scrutinised for every little thing they do is part of the problem. Next thing you know people will kick off that the Nemesis track isn’t B&M on park advertising and that they wanted to ride an SLC :lol
Swarm Chris

As reported by SouthParks social media Black Mirror Labyrinth will be joining the THORPE PARK Official line-up in 2020. Opening in the Spring, this world’s first live Black Mirror experience will invite guests to enter a hypnotic maze using cutting-edge visual technology and sensory-defying environments.

Promising an experience in an unpredictable digitised dimension where guests may lose themselves in the mainframe, guests are invited to reveal an uneasy truth that manipulates and displaces their very existence.

Are you excited for this new addition?
Owen

I’m happy with this actually. Not only is it not an up charge but it’s replacing Living Nightmare, which to me means we’re getting something decently sized. Fingers crossed it’s well themed, although I’d imagine Netflix would be quite particular about the use of the property much like they were with Stranger Things at HHN.

I’d be interested if they go with the horror angle or the ‘fun’ angle with this one, seeing as Black Mirror is such a diverse show. Looking forward to it.
Dom

I’m apprehensive but intrigued. That’s all I really have to say on it :lol

I guess I’m just worried given their past tries at a walkthrough type attraction. Saw Alive only lasted a season being opened all year, I’m A Celeb lasted 3 years but became stale super quick (though I loved it because of the actors). Jungle Escape (yes I’m including it) felt have done and the second half was more walkthrough than an escape room. I want it to be good, But I’m not sure it will be
Michelle

Black mirror is really not for me, but I'm very intrigued to see what this entails and whether people think it's any good!
Bert

Black Mirror is my favourite TV show so I'm over the moon that this is the 2020 addition, it makes me much happier than some RMC and seeing everyone moan about it not being an RMC has made me laugh. 

Black Mirror as a show is an anthology series so Thorpe Park/Merlin Magic Making should have quite a bit of creative control over the project as their isn't one set story line and more of a general theme of "the future consequences of technology". So I expect the attraction to have a somewhat original story but with loads of Easter eggs (There's definitely going to be that White Bear/Bandersnatch logo scattered across the attraction). I really hope this gets pulled off well, this could have the feel that DBGT was trying to go for with the ending.

If anyone hasn't watched the show, you can watch it in any order and I highly recommend the episodes: "Shut up and Dance", "The National Anthem", "San Junipero", "The Waldo Moment", "Bandersnatch", "White Christmas", "Smithereens" and "USS Callister". They're all on Netflix and Season 1 - 4 can be brought as DVDs (Season 1 and 2 also originally aired on Channel 4).

Here's the meme I made
[Insert Signature Here]
Coaster Chall

I do believe that the other events are just supporting the main headline attraction Black Mirror Labyrinth. But like 2019 was very surprisingly great, there's underrated expectations about this year too all around!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Swarm Chris

SouthParks News has the full update of all announcements today, including Black Mirror Labyrinth, and a season of "other-worldly" events.
Morgan

Certainly an interesting announcement. The first thing that springs to mind is the idea that we're getting a walkthrough/maze, when in the past, these attractions rarely seem like they interest the masses. Both Saw: Alive and I'm a Celeb only lasted a handful of seasons due to their popularity, with them both only opening during certain periods in their twilight years. 

The use of Black Mirror as the theme is... a bit odd, in my opinion. As others have stated, each episode is entirely different from the last, so it'll be interesting to see whether we'll see it tackle a story that we'd likely see in the show albeit in another form (Bandersnatch being a prime example) or if it'll be a generic aesthetic inspired by the shows branding and overall message. Whilst I'm not overly fond of Black Mirror (I thought the first season was good but I gave up by the second), at least we're seeing a popular IP come into the park. It's just dissappointing once again that we're getting an external property coming in over something original. There's a million reasons as to why I feel this way, but I supposed we'd better get used to the fact that we're unlikely to see any major investments with an original theme anytime soon.

One thing I am interested in is the psychological aspect, with the attraction "questioning how well [we] really know [ourselves]". We've previously seen a similiar concept in Ghost Train which didn't live up to expectations or entertain everyone, so I'd be interested in hearing why Black Mirror and the psychological outlook was chosen. As I said earlier, the show seems popular with the target market though, so perhaps audiences will vaguely know what they're getting into prior.