Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Ladyofthelake

Having had the opportunity to try Jungle Escape yesterday I have to say it was a lot of fun. The games are well designed and did very much remind me of some of the games you'd see in The Crystal Maze. The group I experienced the attraction with didn't manage to solve the first room, but did manage to complete the second room. I do feel that the ending of the attraction needs a little bit of work - whilst some elements of it fit well, the first part of the finale felt a little flat (although this was absolutely not the fault of the actor who gave a great performance). The script perhaps needs some slight tweaks to better explain a couple of thing in that first finale section (I won't say what so as not to spoil it).

Overall it is a very fun experience, and one which I think is something that is good to do with a groups of friends, or even as a family (the age rating is 10 and over). It perhaps is something that you would do just the once, however it may be that if you are unable to solve one of the puzzles you will want to try again to try and figure out where you went wrong the first time. I think Thorpe do need to be given credit for making sure the former IAC building hasn't sat out of use for very long, and for trying to introduce something different to their line up. Whilst Thorpe have had an escape experience previously with Containment at Fright Nights, it is good that Jungle Escape is more family friendly and doesn't feature a horror based theme.
Swarm Chris

The last time I went into the former I'm a Celebrity building, I came out extremely disappointed by what was the actor-less version of Vulkan Peak. So whilst the adverts that had been up around the entrance in previous weeks looked interesting, I was cautious as to what this attraction would actually be like. Especially given it would be a reasonably expensive upcharge and that it had been pushed back from its original opening date.

So it was both a surprise and to some extent a relief that within just a couple of minutes I was smiling and completely taken in by this attraction. The single actor they had at the start gave a brilliant performance, that was both warm and welcoming, whilst also cheeky and authoritative. The first set alone felt like it had received more love and attention than perhaps some other recent actor led attractions at Thorpe Park had in their entirety. Little trinkets, sounds and the interaction of the actor, all made for a great first impression.

Then into the game part of the attraction. The quality of the puzzles impressed me greatly, both in terms of physical construction and their problem design. Immediately it felt like walking into The Crystal Maze, and I'm fairly sure everyone in our group had a similar level of excitement and awe that I had myself. With group sizes of around 5-7, the puzzles are well thought out such that everyone could participate, and in some cases had to participate in order to succeed.

So it's slightly sad that the ending doesn't seem to be quite there at the moment. The issue is entirely on the creative and story telling side, with all actors providing a brilliant performance and the sets still having the high production quality. Whilst it's possible a change will come before the attraction fully opens on Saturday, I'm not overly sure what change could feasibly be made in the time available to solve the problem it has. However, the current ending does not massively detract from the overall experience. My only thoughts after more time thinking about it, were that if the number of rooms you experienced had been doubled, then the experience would have been exceptional and a great ending perhaps easier to devise.

Ending issues aside, after riding the slide into the Inferno gift shop, I came away with a really good feeling about Jungle Escape. So much so that I went straight back around for a second go. The puzzles were the same, but the overall positive feeling of the attraction remained. Even after two attempts, there was one puzzle that I'm not convinced any of the groups managed to solve.
RobertMaina

Regarding the witness appeal by thorpe on swarm island, There is a question asking about a premium hotel and as well all know, a premium hotel is a good way to get people to stay over an extra night and rake money, maybe not major money but some money at all. This 4 year cycle however has kind of ruined Thorpe. If it's every 4 year, 2020 should theoretically be the next major investment year meaning this year is to be a medium investment year. It's very clear this is a medium investment year, IAC got gutted and replaced by Jungle Escape, a new bouncy castle seems to be joining and a gamer convention. Lots of different events are happening this year, may I say exponentially more than the last few years with many well know brands coming in (MTV, HYPD, TWD). But what isn't happening is any plans for next year being a large investment year. No plans for a coaster, no plans for the new hotel, no plans for anything. The 2020 decade is unprecedented, we can't even say when Loggers will get ripped down. Other than past cycles with investments and what the divisional director has done, we're blind sighted from FN on wards. It's possible Thorpe is going to accept the money but hold off on investing until they actually get an idea of what we all want but it's also possible Merlin decided to make Thorpe wait. Also are we going to miss over the fact that every other UK merlin park has received a new addition for 2019? Chessington received Room on the Broom. Legoland received Haunted House Monster Party and Alton Towers received the Alton Tower's Dungeon. Once again, It's possible Thorpe could've added something but chose to invest in multiple different attractions but I find it weird Thorpe was the only park to differ from the rest. Any ideas?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I do believe at least part of the reason why we haven't seen any hints of a major new development from Thorpe yet, is due to the fact that a decision is still yet to be made on their permitted development rights application.

My understanding is that this is due to an ongoing dispute with the developer who is looking to convert Cemex House (a property in the relatively close vicinity of the Resort) into a care home, in relation to the potential implications this will have for Thorpe's future planning applications, primarily in relation to noise.

Until a resolution is reached and Thorpe/Merlin have some certainty around this, I'd be surprised to see any major developments brought forward.
Swarm Chris

The feedback machine by the Witness Appeal sign has been just a regular feedback machine, with no new development specific questions. 

I believe the hotel question is one of several legacy questions that have remained on the feedback machines across the Resort and are in some cases several seasons old. Other questions that occur at roughly the same point as the hotel question include; those that were added to gather feedback on Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon when it first opened, and asking what guests thought about this year being The Year of The Walking Dead.
Swarm Chris

As posted on SouthParks social media, staff training has been occurring on BounceZilla today, in preparation for its opening next weekend.

Part of the training appeared to involve a few staff members trying out a small portion of the attraction. They certainly looked like they had fun! :)
Robert.W

As a bouncy castle, that looks like a whole lot of fun. But as an attraction in a theme park..? Given that there isn’t any extra charge, I certainly hope it will be popular. But then again, most of GameFX (everything except the VR?) is free to use, and that looks as if it’s been a bit of a flop... so I don’t know, only time will tell I guess.

But I think Thorpe Park have (for the most part) invested in the right areas this year, considering they’ve been given next to nothing to work with. Which means if Merlin don’t get the returns they are wanting, it’s on their own shoulders, not Thorpe Park’s.

Swarm Chris

Robert.W wrote:But then again, most of GameFX (everything except the VR?) is free to use, and that looks as if it’s been a bit of a flop... so I don’t know, only time will tell I guess.
What has surprised me is that the VR section has been perhaps the most popular part of GameFX, and has been growing in popularity.

I'm glad, because that part is entirely an outside small company, who have been adapting the offering as the event went on and have some pretty decent offerings. At the moment they have a multiplayer zombie shooter, racing game and some weird contraption that looks like it could simulate sky diving, plus other games/experiences without additional hardware required. There was a queue for it today and a lot of laughter coming from that area.

The rest of GameFX, well very few people were using the consoles when I wandered in today, or a few weeks ago.
Robert.W

The idea of the regular gaming consoles was very silly, it’s like what people said right at the beginning when GameFX was announced; people just don’t go to theme parks, only to spend time doing something they could do at home instead.

But I’m glad that the VR area is seemingly more popular. I imagine the concept of VR is still very novel to a lot of people, obviously helped by most people not having that kind of thing at home.

BounceZilla will hopefully benefit from being out in the open, as its more exposed to passing custom. And it’s obviously not something that many people will have in their gardens, so there is that as well. XD

Dom

I'm very excited to have a go on Bouncezilla and Jungle Escape. They are both totally different ideas for a theme park to add and I have to give Thorpe some credit for trying something new. Jungle Escape looks like its had a lot of care and attention with the way it looks and hopefully the puzzles are a range of easy and hard. What i do like is that it is something different and to me that is part of what a theme park should offer. A park should offer different experiences, be them rides, experiences or food. I think if Thorpe can find a balance between ride offerings with experiences than they are half way into becoming an all round good place. They still need to have a huge look at their food offerings and and quality of the food they have, but its not a huge issue for them at the moment
RobertMaina

Now, I want to bring more attention to Thorpe's running actors. We've had 4 different types of actors running around park since Opening Saturday. 
1: Jungle Crew (not australian)
2: Film Crew 
3: Jungle Crew (Australian, Jungle Escape)
4:Old Town Crew.
This just could be thorpe trying to incorporate actors similar to Disney. It could just be Thorpe checking out feedback from having said actors out, and this is what I'm thinking. I've seen the feedback machine and I've yet to actually complete the questionnaire but from all I've heard there's yet to be a question reguarding the actors. I believe that this is to experiment with what the people like, and from my experience and my friends alike, its the old town crew.

Now here's the REAL tea. 
If you're a Merlin Annual Pass holder, you might've gotten an email regarding filming in Angry Birds 4D. After walking on park for a few minutes it came very apparent it was a big production. As I walked into the Stealth plaza, I saw Claude from the BBC hit Business Series, The Apprentice. There were also business men and women who supposedly must be this year's candidates. From what I saw walking past them, I think they were pitching Coaster Ideas to the passholders as a challenge. Some posters I saw was for 'The Final Loop' and 'Insomnia'. Other than this, I have no idea what happened but i'm guessing the divisional director must've been there getting pitched to, maybe even some of the creative team from Merlin Magic Making? Maybe this could be a hint at a new coaster? 
AltonOperator

RobertMaina wrote:Now, I want to bring more attention to Thorpe's running actors. We've had 4 different types of actors running around park since Opening Saturday. 
1: Jungle Crew (not australian)
2: Film Crew 
3: Jungle Crew (Australian, Jungle Escape)
4:Old Town Crew.
This just could be thorpe trying to incorporate actors similar to disney. It could just be thorpe checking out feedback from having said actors out, and this is what I'm thinking. I've seen the feedback machine and I've yet to actually complete the questionnaire but from all I've heard there's yet to be a question reguarding the actors. I believe that this is to experiment with what the people like, and from my experience and my friends alike, its the old town crew.

Now here's the REAL tea. 
If you're a merlin annual pass holder, you might've gotten an email regarding filming in Angry Birds 4D. After walking on park for a few minutes it came very apparent it was a big production. As I walked into the stealth plaza, I saw Claude from the BBC hit Business Series, The Apprentice. There were also business men and women who supposedly must be this years candidates. From what I saw walking past them, I think they were pitching Coaster Ideas to the passholders as a challenge. Some posters I saw was for 'The Final Loop' and 'Insomnia'. Other than this, I have no idea what happened but i'm guessing the divisional director must've been there getting pitched to, maybe even some of the creative team from Merlin Magic Making? Maybe this could be a hint at a new coaster? 
Yep Thorpe have been doing a few roaming actor recently. Its always nice to see more ents in the parks. Its pretty standard stuff. not sure how well it fits the Thorpe demographic though (what even is their demographic at the moment)
The bit sounds like its just a filming of The Apprentice. I'd bet my life that whatever ideas the candidates come up with will have absolutely no connection to any future coaster projects. I'd also say that its not an indicator of a coaster coming anytime soon. Its probably just BBC saying hmmm what can we do for a challenge? Here we go lets design coasters. I'm sure it'll be interesting what they come up with but I imagine they'll be extravagant and quite plainly impossible and definitely not within budget.
Thanks Jack
Swarm Chris

Agree that the parks should always be looking for new and different experiences. Whilst BounceZilla is perhaps not quite the new and different experience people may have initially had in mind when thinking about Thorpe Park, I get the suspicion it will be something of a memory maker.

I really wish there was a food related event! The park's offerings are not great this year, with this weekend being the worst with several units normally open being closed. At one point this weekend I wondered whether I should have just brought food with me.

Cue more wishing for a Food and Wine type event. :lol
MakoMania

Are there staggered openings at Thorpe these days? I know DBGT opens at 12:00 (supposedly :lol) but are there any others? Presumably Rapids open a bit later.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Swarm Chris

MakoMania wrote:Are there staggered openings at Thorpe these days? I know DBGT opens at 12:00 (supposedly :lol) but are there any others? Presumably Rapids open a bit later.
Nope, with exception of Ghost Train opening at midday, everything else is scheduled to open at park open, and typically is.

You may even find things are open 10 minutes early some days. :)
MakoMania

Swarm Chris wrote:
MakoMania wrote:Are there staggered openings at Thorpe these days? I know DBGT opens at 12:00 (supposedly :lol) but are there any others? Presumably Rapids open a bit later.
Nope, with exception of Ghost Train opening at midday, everything else is scheduled to open at park open, and typically is.

You may even find things are open 10 minutes early some days. :)
Fantastic! Thanks for the reply!
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Wagstaff04

So, next up is The Walking Dead: The Ride, which was the last thing I rode before leaving, and first of all, I’ve got to say that I prefer this to X. However, I do think that X was more necessary for the park, as my 8 year old little brother was thoroughly bored for most of the day. Anyway, onto the ride itself. 

SPOILERS AHEAD
Spoiler
The outdoor queue is literally just cattlepens, so I’ll not talk about that and just cut straight to the, in my opinion, unnecessary pre show. They just could’ve had some queueline announcements saying things like “Safe zone breach. Walker invasion imminent” or something like that. Don’t get me wrong though, it was impressive. 

After the unthemed indoor queue, the actual ride isn’t that bad. The mid course stop was fun, and the ride is smooth and enjoyable. Granted, the mannequins they put around the ride were uninspiring, but they did try to make them seem as scary as possible. 

Now it’s out of the ride, and without warning I’m straight in the middle of my first scare actor experience, and I loved it. I almost wanted to take a selfie with them, they were that great!
So overall, great job, but shouldn’t have happened in the first place. Overall: 6.5/10
Last edited by DeadJack5 on Mon May 20, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spoiler Tags Added
Wagstaff04

So, first of all, Colossus surprised me a lot. Not only was it much better than I had originally expected, but it managed to beat out Saw in my list (coming soon). So, what was it exactly that surprised me?

First of all, the whole area is very good for taking off ride photos. There’s track pretty much wherever you are in the ride are, and that’s great. The queueline is a bit confusing, basically cattlepens that aren’t switchbacks, but the station is awesome. There is great attention to detail both on the interior and exterior of the building. 

I sat on the third row, as close as I could to the front, and it was my first ride of the day, so I had tried to get the smoothest ride possible. And it worked. It wasn’t exactly silk smooth like B&Ms, but the only part I experienced any headbanging was the entrance into the Cobra Roll. 

Now, for the actual layout. The first half isn’t exactly inspiring, but after you exit the Cobra Roll, it really starts to pick up. The two corkscrews are snappy and intense, and the quadruple heartline rolls were as awesome as I had hoped. But the best part was yet to come. That final counter-clockwise heartline roll. Wow. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe it is on a slope, so you gain speed going through it, and its awesome. 

So overall, not the best coaster in the park, but blew my expectations out of the water. Overall: 8.5/10
Swarm Chris

It's Thorpe Park's 40th birthday today!

First opening on 24th May 1979, the park has come a long way since its initial offering as a water activity and exhibition centre.

I'm told my first visit was in 1985, when was yours?
DerpyQuark

Happy Birthday Thorpe Park! :)