Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Michelle

I'm going to miss the dated old look, it reminded me of a seaside resort like Blackpool :lol
I'm looking forward to visiting and seeing the changes myself, hopefully sooner than our event but that may be the first chance I get.
Swarm Chris

The Walking Dead: The Ride has had a small number of modest additions, with a couple of small animatronics added at the end of the attraction and a very small addition in the entrance corridor. The overall flow of the attraction remains the same as last year, however guests now receive a Fright Nights style introductory speech before entering the building, which includes no running and actor interaction rules.

Guests were also being queued more inside the building before the station, with about a 5-10 minute wait inside. Queuing here is perhaps not the most comfortable experience, given the extremely loud sound effects you can hear from elsewhere in the ride repeatedly.
Swarm Chris

As posted on SouthParks News, we visited Thorpe Park Resort for their Pre-Season Preview day. With guest numbers limited, the park allowed a small number of Merlin Annual Passholders to visit the park one week early, allowing us to take a sneak-peak at the Resort's 2019 updates.

Along with changes to the Dome mentioned previously, the park appeared tidier overall with a new sponsor for Tidal Wave, new food and beverage options and a surprise addition of roaming actors.

Will you be returning to the Island Like No Other when it re-opens this weekend?

SNCoasters

WickerBoy wrote:

Was it just me or was the old music playing yesterday?
I thought so too, around the whole of the lost city.
Dan

Well doesn’t this look......lovely?

Htjc_

Dan wrote:Well doesn’t this look......lovely?

It's a shame it looks in such a state. I think the fact it has to have this done for better/more frequent inspection along with the lack of a full repaint even though it's needed one for a good few years now must signal it's in its final stages. I personally wouldn't be too fussed to see it go soon. It gives me a headache after every ride no matter where I sit so if it goes and is actually replaced I'd be happy. It's unfortunate it hasn't aged well.
Please! No more IP's Thorpe! I'm begging you!
Justin

dg95official has posted some pictures on Instagram of some new merchandise...

wamdue

Justin wrote: 

Ok full disclousure i've never been on the Ghost Train, but I really like the t-shirt on the right, just as a peice of art. It's got shades of a British set sci-fi movie set in a dystopian London. Possibly related to the Daleks.
Swarm Chris

The great weather mixed with it being the first public Saturday of the season, meant the park was extremely busy yesterday. Crowd levels were more like a peak summer day, with around 10 coaches and the car park looking like it had gone into the overflow.

The remarkable thing, Thorpe managed it and rides were running at full capacity with good to very good throughputs, even if the queues were 40-60 minutes across the park. Flashback to last year, when the park only ran at half capacity and then everything broke, and then everyone left disappointed, this year's start was brilliant. Like last weekend, park management were very visible continually wandering around the park. Again, the atmosphere to me felt very positive.

Painting and signage at Tidal Wave and Jungle Escape have now been completed.

It was even busy enough for The Grill in Old Town to be open, however Fins was still on a limited menu.

But one thing that didn't work very well was Coke Freestyle. The machines were running less than half the options, with only sugar free options enabled, and machines regularly running out of things completely. It seemed that this was a temporary issue, along with some other technical issues they were having, but disappointing that they simply didn't have half the stock there in the first place. Really hope the non-sugar free options are enabled as was originally promised, as the current flavours whilst nice at the time of drinking, left a horrible lingering chemical taste for hours afterwards.
Swarm Chris

Can happily confirm that Rumba Rapids is fun again. I was in a boat on my own, so not enough weight to bring that much water into the boat, but there is certainly plenty of white water in the ride now and people were getting off wet occasionally.

Ride chaperones get a little hut to sit in now, plus the ride has a new system at the end to automatically turn the boat so a door is aligned with the platform, making boarding and disembarking so much easier.
Liam.W

Went on Rumba Rapids yesterday for the first time ever and can confirm it was the funnest rapids I've ever been on, makes Alton's looking like a lazy river! 
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

AltonOperator

Not sure how that will work given the sugar tax in the UK. At Alton, even with an unlimited cup, Coca-Cola costs an extra charge because of the sugar content. I'd imagine something similar might have to happen in this case, but it would be difficult because they are automated.
Thanks Jack
Swarm Chris

AltonOperator wrote:Not sure how that will work given the sugar tax in the UK. At Alton, even with an unlimited cup, Coca-Cola costs an extra charge because of the sugar content. I'd imagine something similar might have to happen in this case, but it would be difficult because they are automated.
I'm not sure either, but they already promised it via social media and no signage to say additional cost required. So if they haven't figured it out, I can foresee issues for them.

Still have a nasty aftertaste...
Justin

No doubt the sugar tax has been incorporated into the main cost of the cup, therefore sugar free drinkers are paying a premium. I could be wrong!
AltonOperator

Justin wrote:No doubt the sugar tax has been incorporated into the main cost of the cup, therefore sugar free drinkers are paying a premium.  I could be wrong!
Yes this is likely. I think the point is to make a difference in price between sugary and sugar free drinks but I do think that was optional, provided the tax was paid somehow.
Thanks Jack
ProfBurp

Has anyone see the new Thorpe advert? I personally think it’s really poor! Too many repetitions of the phrase “like no other” it’s just overkill and really irritating! What’s everyone else’s thoughts?
Swarm Chris

It certainly is an advert like no other... :roll:
ProfBurp

Swarm Chris wrote:It certainly is an advert like no other... :roll:
Well that sums it up perfectly!
ProfBurp

Really enjoyed Rumba on Friday, definitely felt as if it was moving quicker and more rough, meaning people actually got ‘wet’ for a change! Much improved, they just need to bring back the old water effects now from the Thunder River days and it’ll be even better!
Swarm Chris

As reported on SouthParks News, Thorpe Park Resort has been nominated for two ScareCON SCAR awards, the annual event which champions and recognises all aspects of the scare industry – from year-round scare attractions to Halloween events.

The Resort picked up two nominations in the ‘Best Zombie Experience’ category for Zombie Hunt and The Walking Dead: Living Nightmare.

What did you think of these two different takes on zombie experiences?