Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
PhNx Survivor

Think the track is trying to start looking the same colour as the trains..
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Muppet738

Ally Law, the YouTuber who climbed Stealth, was in court yesterday. The link to the statement by Surrey Police is here.
YouTube personality Alastair “Ally” Law, 21 of Southampton, well known for performing parkour stunts and doing free solo climbing while trespassing on a range of buildings and structures, has been condemned in court for his reckless behaviour.

On Thursday, 26 July 2017, Surrey officers were called to Thorpe Park to reports that a man with a camera was standing on top of the Stealth ride, a 205ft rollercoaster. Law was given strong words of advice by officers about the wasting of police resources due to his dangerous and irresponsible act.

However on 26 January 2018, Law, accompanied by Ryan Taylor of Bloxwich was again arrested by police after trespassing into the Elstree TV studios in Hertfordshire, while the show Big Brother was being filmed.

Following their arrest, Law and Taylor were convicted of aggravated trespass at St Albans Magistrates Court on 10 December 2018. Law was also given an interim Criminal Behaviour Order, which banned him from going beyond safety barriers on any building open to the public. This prohibition covered the whole of England, Northern Ireland and Wales.

Earlier today (5 March) the two men were sentenced for the aggravated trespass. Each received a community order to complete 120 hours of unpaid work; pay £1000 costs and compensation to three victims; and they must forfeit the SD cards and cameras used during the incident for destruction.

Ally Law was also given a five year behaviour order, which prevents him from uploading footage of him trespassing on any property without the owner’s consent. He is also prevented from entering film or TV studios, any property owned by the Merlin Group, or being on any other structure (or commercial property out of hours) without the written permission of the landowner.

The judge heard that, although Mr Law did not perceive himself to be at risk, his lack of disregard with this actions could potentially influence and insight others into committing similar stunts. The CBO reflected this by prohibiting Law from inciting anyone else to trespass in a similar way. The CBO should act as a potential deterrent to any others thinking about following his footsteps.

Any breach of the conditions will see Law face a possible five-year jail sentence.

The Criminal Behaviour Order was bought jointly by Surrey Police, Hertfordshire Police and Hampshire Constabulary.

Inspector Nick Pinkerton, from Surrey Police, said:
“Ally Law has offended all over the country and we used evidence from all over the country in our application because we know that he has been causing numerous police forces issues for some time, this means the Criminal Behaviour Order applies in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

“Law’s actions were also really unsafe – free-climbers may not care about their own safety but if they slip and fall it is the emergency services who have to respond. Dealing with death is traumatic, and not just 'part of the job'. One of the worst tasks officers have to do is to contact family members to say that someone they love has died – imagine delivering and receiving that message.”
Justin

THE SWARM
Experience speeds of almost 100km/h and G forces of up to 4.5 as you ride on the wings of THE SWARM, sat either side of the track with nothing above or below you but air!

With the closed season upon us, how would you review THE SWARM at the THORPE PARK Resort?
[/b][/center]
Dom

I bloody love this coaster so so so so much! Its just a big barrel of joy for me and I can't wait to get back on it. That dive drop is just such a nice feeling. It gives me a warm feeling inside. Sad I know, but this coaster is just fun to me and I adore it!
Swarm Chris

I mean, I guess it's alright. :sus:

First time I saw it, the dive drop just looked insane, a massive presence in the park. I just love the scale of this ride, it may not be the longest ride ever, but because of the really wide and long trains, everything is just huge.

I had to giggle a little bit this year. Having seen so many comments about The Swarm being forceless and boring, I heard a couple of people exclaim they were starting to grey-out on it through the inclined loop, during the ERT this year. It was certainly going the fastest I'd ever ridden it then and I remember it was starting to shake, which is somewhat unheard of for B&M.

Hopefully the park has done some grounds keeping by the dive drop though, because on my last ride of the season I hit my hand on a branch at the bottom of the drop. Not much fun when you're going nearly 60 mph!
DeadJack5

A great coaster in my opinion. I remember the marketing and build up towards the opening and being so excited.

The ride continues to impress me and does remain a solid addition to the park. I still miss the rows being reversed, it offered a different perspective and actually scared me more than riding forwards. The dive drop, near miss elements and the attention to themeing/detail is incredible and just adds up to create a great overall ride. The overall ride area still sets the standards for theming with rides in the UK.

I do hope Thorpe's newest addition to the park (whenever it arrives) is as good as this and proves to be as smooth and as thrilling as this.

Also the soundtrack is pretty good :sus:
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The Swarm was probably the first theme park development I took some interest in following.

It’s an all round solid attraction in terms of both ride experience and theming.

While usually not the most intense, I did have something of a grey-out when riding it backwards, which I think is the only time so far that that has happened...
Wagstaff04

This is more of a preview, as I’m visiting for the first time since breaking the 1.4m barrier.

The Swarm is my most anticipated ride for my trip, mainly because it’s unlike anything in the UK. The dive drop looks like it’ll provide some great hangtime, much better than the only other hangtime I’ve experienced, Smiler’s 1st inversion. As for the rest of the ride, it looks like a perfect mix of intensity and inversions.
Htjc_

Favourite ride in the UK. 2nd favourite in the world. The theme is amazingly well executed with the train and station design, yet still behind Stealths in my opinion. Not only is the layout a fun one by itself but imitates how I expect the creature it is based on would act. Yes it isn't the most intense but it's easy to excuse when you factor in the amazing first zero-g roll (on the back at least) and near miss elements. All of its elements are very tall and makes the coaster really intimidating, exacerbated by the wing over drop. The restraints are wonderfully comfortable and it rides amazingly, can you believe it will be 7 this year? With it being winged, many different experiences are on offer but my favourite seat is by far the back left. When I first went to Thorpe in 2014 it was the first ride I saw and I ran straight to it, somehow I wasn't phased by it even though I was ten :lol. It was my first inverting rollercoaster so I hold it quite dear to my heart and hope I never see the day it leaves the park. This instantly gets a 10/10 from me, sorry if there was some overlap between previous posts, I tried to keep it original :lol
Please! No more IP's Thorpe! I'm begging you!
Justin

I really got involved with the viral marketing of The Swarm, so much so that I managed 3rd place. The YouMeAtSix single also added to the rides debut. It is a shame they don't used the lyrics more!

The ride is short, but as others have said, very good. It is a very comfortable ride, but backwards was intense!
The area really adds to the park too, and is a prime example, along with Wicker Man of what Merlin can do! They do need to replace the screens around the ride though. The news bulletin add to the apocalyptic atmosphere!
Justin

THE WALKING DEAD: THE RIDE

THORPE PARK Resort is overrun by Walkers and there is but one goal: survive. Making it to the sanctuary of the Safe Zone is vital for salvation. Located at the centre of the Island, navigate your way to the safety of the indoor bunker - but be warned. All signs point to an imminent invasion of Walkers, so keep your head down and move quickly for your best chance of staying alive.

We will see you at the Safe Zone…For the first time ever, experience The Walking Dead: The Ride. Those who ride…survive!

With the closed season upon us, how would you review The Walking Dead: The Ride at the THORPE PARK Resort?
[/b][/center]
DeadJack5

Initially, I wasn't too keen on the idea. I thought it was just a silly cash grab at a ride that didn't really need changing after the recent work it had done.

After my first ride, I enjoyed it. I thought it was an overall good experience and liked what had happened. By the end of the 2018 Season, the ride had really grown on me and become one of my most rode attractions for the year at Thorpe Park. Seeing it improve over the year and even experiencing it with a different, more intense mode really did make the ride one of my favourites.

For it's second season, I would really like to see the effects on the inside kept up and maintained better. I do hope the actors are kept as they do greatly improve the overall experience. Finally I just hope not too many budget cuts aren't made like a certain other attraction just around the corner from it.
Sozzy40

There's been a mixed reaction the the Thorpe park announcements. Here's my opinion on it:
They're  having several off-years. In my opinion, an 'Off-year' is a year where a park doesn't do much. Thorpe park has had 3 consecutive Off-years now and, while off-years are normally ok, Thorpe park has had too many.
Those people saying 'But it targets their age demographic' then yes, it does, but even its target demographic wants a new coaster and is getting bored. In other words, Thorpe Park's strategy is very short-term and we could see their attendance figures decrease in the next few years. For a full video explaining the situation:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEa_2iv4WAs
I can see why the beornen worship Wicker Man
Bert

What do you mean “Thorpe have had 3 off years”?

This is the first “off” season Thorpe have had in a long while, and the argument “Thorpe needs a new coaster” is awful.

Thorpe has had a number of issues in the past years which has led them to get virtually completely different management this season as they sort out problems that the park faces.

The park spent over £50million on Swarm and DBGT alone with little return. Building a coaster now would possibly mean another £20million could be lost.

Merlin as a company are under no obligation to invest any money into the park.

There becomes a point with people criticing the park and being plain right ignorant, and these events have become the focal point to justify hate.

These events are harmless and there will be 1000s of people who will definitely have fun at these events.

If you don’t like Thorpe Park, don’t visit it.
[Insert Signature Here]
onair

Bert wrote:If you don’t like Thorpe Park, don’t visit it.
Sadly think that's what a lot people will do this year. 
Sozzy40

Bert wrote:What do you mean “Thorpe have had 3 off years”? 
I mean a year with little to no investment. 2017 saw a refurbishment and a few new kiddie rides, 2018 saw a retheme of a coaster and 2019 has the IP from I'm a celeb removed and some new grass.
Bert wrote:This is the first “off” season Thorpe have had in a long while, and the argument “Thorpe needs a new coaster” is awful. 
They're in a downhill spiral and need to add a new coaster soon before the money gets away with angry guests.
Bert wrote:Thorpe has had a number of issues in the past years which has led them to get virtually completely different management this season as they sort out problems that the park faces. 
True.
Bert wrote:The park spent over £50million on Swarm and DBGT alone with little return. Building a coaster now would possibly mean another £20million could be lost.
The Swarm failed, not due to bad advertising, but due to external issues. 2012 was a generally bad year for the British theme park economy, due to bad weather and the Olympics.
DGBT failed due to bad use of effects. It had the potential to be a brilliant attraction, but Thorpe Park didn't manage it very well. And, as you said earlier, management is changing quicker than my socks.
Bert wrote:Merlin as a company are under no obligation to invest any money into the park. 
Again, true. Buut…
  • Merlin don't want to be seen with Thorpe
  • Merlin is the 2nd biggest entertainments company in the world.
  • They're not treating it like their other parks. And I don't just mean due to audience, more how clean it is, etc..
Bert wrote: There becomes a point with people criticing the park and being plain right ignorant, and these events have become the focal point to justify hate. 
These events aren't bad, just repetitive. Also, the park seems to be exiting the IP stage. Jungle escape is IP free, BounceZilla and GameFX are both sponsored, but not based around and fright nights has some IPs in it but not the whole event. 
Bert wrote:These events are harmless and there will be 1000s of people who will definitely have fun at these events.
Yes. I know, some of these actually sound quite attractive to me. But, as I said earlier, they're repetitive.
Bert wrote:If you don’t like Thorpe Park, don’t visit it.
I think a lot of people are doing that already. and the second nearest theme park to me with an inverting rollercoaster currently is 3 times as long away. 
Also, other fans of the park who aren't coaster enthusiasts will find something else to do. And don't forget that there's a rumoured pendulum ride for Paultons.
Finally, I'm just going to say they need a new coater to bring them back out on top. And soon. So RMC 2021, please!
I can see why the beornen worship Wicker Man
Swarm Chris

Thorpe Park have released a little more of the map, again asking people to spot the differences to last year.

The arrow I suspect will point to where BounceZilla will end up, as it's the only area within the existing park area I can see fitting this in. Being right on the water edge, could get a bit windy there, which could be interesting.
Swarm Chris

Information about Jungle Escape has been made public by Thorpe Park.
In Spring 2019, select only your bravest and most daring friends to face the Huntsman as you enter the challenging undergrowth of the Jungle Arena. Engage your senses, prime your wit and take on the elements as you undergo a series of testing rituals before facing off with your rivals to ultimately decide which team leaves victorious and which will be lost to the Jungle forever.

Decode the clues, test your physical limits and escape the Huntsman’s game in this new for 2019 live adventure escape game!
Tickets will cost £10, presumably per person.

Interestingly, the maps look nearly identical (except for the actual map design) to those used in Pirates Adventure ~ Treasures of the Seven Seas at WDW Magic Kingdom Park.
DeadJack5

Swarm Chris wrote:Information about Jungle Escape has been made public by Thorpe Park.
In Spring 2019, select only your bravest and most daring friends to face the Huntsman as you enter the challenging undergrowth of the Jungle Arena. Engage your senses, prime your wit and take on the elements as you undergo a series of testing rituals before facing off with your rivals to ultimately decide which team leaves victorious and which will be lost to the Jungle forever.

Decode the clues, test your physical limits and escape the Huntsman’s game in this new for 2019 live adventure escape game!
Tickets will cost £10, presumably per person.

Interestingly, the maps look nearly identical (except for the actual map design) to those used in Pirates Adventure ~ Treasures of the Seven Seas at WDW Magic Kingdom Park.

It looks interesting, I will try this out when it opens in the spring time. I hope it is a bit easier than Containment (seeing as this can be marketed towards Families) but equally it isn't too easy.
PhNx Survivor

I genuinely thought they were in some form of farm for those pictures :|

Looks like it could be fun, but for £10 I think I'll pass..
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”