Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
J1SH

I do hope they keep the general theme of Old Town as it has a decent amount of character but is one of the most empty parts of the park now with Loggers and Slammer now gone. A coaster in Old Town can be done really well with the forest behind it but can attain a good portion of path interactivity with the rest of Old Town.
Dan

Thorpe have posted this image of Nemesis Inferno’s old lift hill chain on their Instagram , which is currently in the process of being replaced.

Justin

I've just seen that was suggested that they sell links. I personally think they would have a market for it. All it needs is a clean and it is ready for sale.

Looking at the other side of it, it is good to see that we are all ready to go for another season! It is an underated ride!
Adz
Admin
Admin

I’m really not going to miss this at all. It was highly themed and fun for the first year but it was not ‘rerideable’ in any sense. I don’t think a theme park was the best place for it as the target audience didn’t seem all that enthused. Maybe putting it at a Madame Tussaud’s would have been better?

I’d hope this also means the death of Vulcan Peak, officially the worst attraction ever operated at Thorpe Park.

I would expect to see the building repurposed fairly quickly. It won’t Escape the notice of higher ups there’s a prime bit of Room right in the middle of the park.
Michelle

I thought the premise was interesting , but in reality it was a confusing attraction, not well acted after the media night and on every experience I had in there half of the effects didn't work as planned.

It was also home to one of my more embarrassing theme park moments when my backpack, and subsequently my finger, got caught in the cargo net in the final room and I had to be rescued by a staff member while the contents of my bag tried to escape back down the hill :lol

If it's truly not returning, I don't think it will be missed. As Adz has said, maybe it would have seen more success in Madame Tussauds.
Swarm Chris

Some interesting looking symbols have been added to this year's map, shown in the Winter Update 6 video.

Plus most of Old Town and The Jungle is covered, bar this brief glimpse.

J1SH

Looks like the symbols are just the 5 coaster logos. Can't see anything too special in them. Interesting that they've gone and stopped showing Old Town on there now, but thinking about it it does make a good amount of sense if it is out of use.
Htjc_

I hope those little symbols will be used throughout the park as they look very modern (collosus definitely needed some updating) I have to say it's odd to overlay them in that video though. I am however excited to see what is happening to old town. Find out more March 29th!
Please! No more IP's Thorpe! I'm begging you!
TwistedTom

During part 6 of Thorpe's winter updates they seem to have covered up the exact area being discussed at the moment (all of old town, IAC and Sticky sisters) Could this mean that we could get a teaser on the map like SW8 or Minds Wanted? (I would send image but I don't know how XD)
https://twitter.com/THORPEPARK/status/1083695019670847488
Swarm Chris

TwistedTom wrote:During part 6 of Thorpe's winter updates they seem to have covered up the exact area being discussed at the moment (all of old town, IAC and Sticky sisters) Could this mean that we could get a teaser on the map like SW8 or Minds Wanted? (I would send image but I don't know how XD)
https://twitter.com/THORPEPARK/status/1083695019670847488
This would be the image. :)

The window is conveniently positioned, isn't it. But, it could also just be coincidence, or simply hiding what appears to be an even larger amount of the park having nothing in it anymore. Granted, we'd all like it to be the teaser option. :)

The Swarm's planning permission went in roughly February the year before opening. Wicker Man's went in even earlier. So if Project 2020 is still a thing, then we should be seeing something in the next few weeks.
Htjc_

To check for planning permission I have been checking Runnymede Borough Council's planning search and searching THORPE PARK as that comes up with the most recent results. Is this where we would find the latest planning applications?
Please! No more IP's Thorpe! I'm begging you!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Htjc_ wrote:To check for planning permission I have been checking Runnymede Borough Council's planning search and searching THORPE PARK as that comes up with the most recent results. Is this where we would find the latest planning applications?
Yes. You will also see a link to 'rMaps' on the right-hand side of the initial search page, which is also a pretty good way of seeing any planning applications being considered across the borough.
Adz
Admin
Admin

IAC's closure isn't related to this project, the park are planning something else for that space in the immediate future. Timber Tug Boat, Rocky Express and Lumber Jump are all expected to be open throughout 2019 too.

The one thing to bear in mind for this project with planning, all previous coasters and developments at the park had received outline planning via the Medium/Long Term Development Plans which made it easier to secure the actual individual attraction submissions. Unless the park submits a new development plan ASAP, anything major in this area will be more complicated and possibly take longer to get approved. 
Swarm Chris

Thorpe's Instagram Story is saying that The Swarm is also getting a new chain.

Given the noises and apparent breakage of it at the end of last season, it's not so surprising.
Swarm Chris

This week's Thorpe Park Winter Update talks about Derren Brown's Ghost Train and the process of getting it ready each day.

Interestingly, the video flickers at the start to reference last week's video. So, did they decide they wanted to add a flicker, get the wrong part number, but decide it was good enough and just release it? Or is there something in last week's video that they're trying to point out? Or is it just the Thorpe usual: put something out and say aren't we cool we made you all get excited about nothing, again?

Edit: After noticing they can't spell Ghost Train correctly in the subtitles, I'm going to assume it's the first option for the flicker text. :roll:
Swarm Chris

Thorpe Park Breaks appear to be offering Shark Hotel rooms at £47pp, including breakfast, park ticket, parking and an entire day of Island Unlimited Fastrack.
We've got an amazing offer for thrill-seekers who want to speed up the screams at THORPE PARK Resort for 2019! Supercharge your stay with one day Theme Park tickets and an overnight stay from just £47 per person. PLUS, get Island Unlimited Fastracks worth £50 per person!

On selected dates in March, May and September 2019, experience the ultimate adrenaline kick with THORPE Breaks! To help you make the most of your visit, we're including Island Unlimited Fastracks worth £50 per person! Beat the queues and enjoy your favourite coasters and rides all day long!*
Interestingly, the more info link then says hotel fastrack is only available until 11am. But it appears on some days there may be a very good deal available.
Swarm Chris

Thorpe Park will be targeting a younger audience as part of new additions for 2019, with a call for actors to fill character roles for a younger audience, appearing on the Merlin jobs page.
We are scouting for talented actors and performers to join our Entertainments Team for fixed term opportunities throughout 2019.

This is a job like no other where you will be playing various scripted and improvised characters, with both family friendly and scare-actor roles available. From giving our guests the ride of their life on Derren Brown’s Ghost Train and The Walking Dead: The Ride, to entertaining our younger guests in our NEW for 2019 Character offering, the opportunities to create magical memories are limitless!

Could we see a return of the Thorpe Park Rangers as part of the 40th anniversary celebrations? Perhaps we will see I'm a Celebrity being repurposed for a different family friendly attraction? Or are the emoji characters from Chessington being loaned out to Thorpe Park on the cheap cheap this year?
Wagstaff04

Does anyone know if THORPE will be doing the Armed Forces Day this year? Just wondering because I have family members in the RAF. 
Dan

Thorpe Park have announced that this year’s Passholder Preview will be held on Saturday 23rd March
**Save The Date**

Passholders, the time has come! Join us on 23/03/19 for your first exclusive day of the 2019 season!

Feeling left out? We have the answer: bit.ly/2CVzByf
Swarm Chris

Sadly the disconnect between Thorpe's Twitter account and Thorpe's decision makers appears fairly large. I would read this more that the person writing the tweet knows what people are asking for, rather than the park doing anything along these lines.

But who knows, we could see some interesting plans appear in the next few weeks.

Or d1sappointment...