Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
nicky.borrill

Wouldn’t be the worst thing if it was removed, worst rapids I’ve ever ridden. 
AltonOperator

nicky.borrill wrote:Wouldn’t be the worst thing if it was removed, worst rapids I’ve ever ridden. 
Strange that because I actually loved it. There was just the right amount of motion and the tunnel was nice. It maybe lacked a theme but I did enjoy it
Thanks Jack
nicky.borrill

To be fair AltonOperator, I have only ridden it a couple of times, both times it was souless, no themeing / effects / elements at all, just a gentle boat ride. Could just have been bad runs. 

Problem is, the ones I go with won’t ride it again, even when we have island unlimited because they were with me on those bad runs :( So I guess I’ll never find out. 
Swarm Chris

It used to be better. Way way back when. :(
Bert

Rumba Rapids is decent imo.

It found it better than Legoland or Drayton’s rapids but there’s nothing that stands out if you’ve done Congo River Rapids.

If this was to get rethemed or removed I wouldn’t really care.
[Insert Signature Here]
AltonOperator

Ok don't bring up Legolands rapids here :lol
No I have no connection to Rumba so if it was gone I wouldn't really care. I do think it has a place in the park though. As a water ride it's very different to Tidal Wave and offers a very different experience.
Thanks Jack
nicky.borrill

AltonOperator wrote:As a water ride it's very different to tidal wave and offers a very different experience
Yeh, I guess Tidal Wave could be a bit much for the smaller children, the 0.9m height restriction on the rapids makes them more accessible to families than TW at 1.2m
Justin

Closed season stories have begun...
Htjc_

Anyone noticed any planning applications? Seems like it's about time one popped up. I'd look but I don't really know how to...
Please! No more IP's Thorpe! I'm begging you!
Justin

Nothing yet, but it could drop anytime over closed season; that is if it needs planning permission!
Swarm Chris

If it doesn't need planning permission then it will be a disappointment!

Please don't let Vulcan Peak of Disappointment be the theme. Please let Vulcan Peak of Disappointment be the theme. :lol
Htjc_

I agree, if there is no planning permission then I will be having a word with Merlin!
PsychOXRat

Since there's talk about the rapids going on here, when I went to Fright Nights I saw an engine hoist placed on one of the spinning bumpers (I don't know what it's called) at the end of the wave section as if to remove it. I take it it's normal for them to do a complete strip down of the Rapids each closed season? 
Swarm Chris

I believe that's one of the of the reasons why it's closed during Fright Nights, is to give more maintenance time.

I'm not seeing the rapids being removed. It would cost a lot to remove and we saw them testing the updated raft design with the gates a few months ago.
Justin

The Rapids used to close with the rest of the park, but I can only assume that it is to do with maintaince too. I believe closed season is a full on time for parks and every moment counts!
ScottLann

The picture attached is just a brief idea of where I'd imagine a hyper to go and what the layout of it would be.... at this rate though, looks like it ain't gonna happen  :lol

Edit: How do I paste/attach pictures to posts?? For some reason it isn't showing up :(
Be Chosen - Join Us - You Better Not Go Alone - Assume The Position - Don't Look Down - Sit Back, It's Fright Time
sw7nutter

The new entrance will require planning permission. 
sw7nutter

Rumba Rapids closes early in the season due to a lack of popularity during Fright Nights and to save on staffing costs. The ride also needs lighting all the way round to operate in the dark so I believe the park just close the ride and start maintenance early. 
Chris
Admin
Admin

Rumba Rapids used to stay open until dusk right up until the end of the season.

Cost saving measure? It's hard to justify any other reasons..
Htjc_

To attach files you go into the full editor and preview and underneath where you would write text there should be a tab labelled options, and to the right should be a tab labelled attachments. From there you click add files. I hope that made sense as I am new to this site still!