Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
J1SH

theparklifekid wrote:From the creators of 'Saw: The Ride', 'The Walking Dead: The Ride' and 'Angry Birds Land' comes 'Blair Witch: The Ride'! A mini dive coaster!!!
You've only gone and jinxed it now lol
Htjc_

I also noticed it was red and green. I know it's a stretch, but they're Christmas colours. Maybe we'll get some sort of announcement at Christmas! Probably not much will be said but maybe an area for the ride. And wasn't the theme for The Swarm announced near Christmas? This is still a theory but I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!!!! EDIT: MMXX is Roman numerals for 2020, just clarifying.
Please! No more IP's Thorpe! I'm begging you!
Ladyofthelake

A bit of totally random speculation here as this could be a genuine teaser, or simply Thorpe messing with us. However, I was looking at the description for Terror at Amity High and noticed a familiar name in the description:
NEW for 2018, It’s Big Bob’s Homecoming Bash, and the teens of Amity Cove are partying up at Make-Out Point behind the old Speedway.  But these are no ordinary highschoolers – they’re always on the lookout for fresh young blood to join their gang and one swift bite to the neck might take you from necking with Cindy the Prom Queen to joining the army of the undead for all eternity!
Could the use of 'Big Bob's Homecoming Bash' be a tease that Thorpe may be getting a wooden rollercoaster, or is it just a case of Thorpe teasing us knowing that someone would pick up on the reference? Or is it all just one big coincidence?
Ismail

Nemesis -----> Nemesis Inferno

Wicker Man -----> Wicker Man Inferno
:-k :lol
Tom170499

Ladyofthelake wrote:A bit of totally random speculation here as this could be a genuine teaser, or simply Thorpe messing with us. However, I was looking at the description for Terror at Amity High and noticed a familiar name in the description:
NEW for 2018, It’s Big Bob’s Homecoming Bash, and the teens of Amity Cove are partying up at Make-Out Point behind the old Speedway.  But these are no ordinary highschoolers – they’re always on the lookout for fresh young blood to join their gang and one swift bite to the neck might take you from necking with Cindy the Prom Queen to joining the army of the undead for all eternity!
Could the use of 'Big Bob's Homecoming Bash' be a tease that Thorpe may be getting a wooden rollercoaster, or is it just a case of Thorpe teasing us knowing that someone would pick up on the reference? Or is it all just one big coincidence?
It’s more likely a reference to Big Bob Jones, the presenter of WWTP Radio.
Piggins

Hey guys just wondering if maybe people dress up for Fright Nights or Scarefest... I want to dress up for Halloween and I know you can’t have masks but you are allowed, I just wanted to know if many people did?
Sawboss

I've never been to Fright Nights but there's always people at Scarefest in costume, so I say go for it!
Tom170499

I’m going in fancy dress this year, me and my work colleagues are going as the Addams Family. I’m gonna be Pugsley :lol 
Piggins

Love it!!! That’s awesome then we are just doing standard zombies for Year of The Walking Dead! Look forward to seeing all the costumes!

Thank you.
Swarm Chris

Bag drop is no more. :(
Swarm Chris

PSA from yesterday.

If you're on the right hand side, be aware there is a tree at the bottom of the first drop that has become incredibly close to the track and is easily within arm reach if you have your hands just slightly out from the train. Took a full hit to the palm of my hand, some marking that went away and thankfully no cuts, but stung like anything. Reported it to Thorpe online, but no idea if it got relayed back to maintenance.

Sadly, due to massive staffing cuts at The Swarm, it meant there was no attractions staff member I could immediately report it to.
streetmagix

Swarm Chris wrote:Bag drop is no more. :(
Was it on one train operation? They generally don't open bag drop on one train operation.
Justin

No, at the moment (Fright Nights only?) the baggage from seems to be closed if on one or two trains. They have storage containers next to the fences.

The Swarm suffered downtime yesterday too, pretty much all of the afternoon.
Swarm Chris

Justin wrote:They have storage containers next to the fences.
Didn't see any on the right side of the station yesterday. I deliberately moved away from the back rows, as I know that area floods in the rain and didn't want to destroy my bag further with water.
Justin

That is interesting. They were along the left, towards the back. Saying that though, I had to hang my rucsack on the fence one time!
james3906

Havent been on this site in a while!
Just thought I would add (not sure if this has been said before) that the CHIP posters are for the team to know the number to call the operator about queue times etc. My friend who works here told me this. He also added that the staff found out about people talking about it therefore, they moved the one in the Swarm so people would notice it and create more discussion! 
Swarm Chris

Well whoops :lol

Although to be fair, they deliberately placed that first sign in an attraction that had no stated queue time, and in a style fitting the theming they were using. So they knew what they were doing from the start! :lol

I noticed last week that they reduced the number of posters in the old laser gun pick up point/now shop, but have left the CHIP poster up. Bad design team! :P
Swarm Chris

The Swarm has had some sort of technical issue today and has been out of action most of the day, right up to park close. Whilst it had a weather delay at one point during the day, it was later listed as closed and Thorpe social media have confirmed it had a technical issue.

One to watch, as the lift hill was making a very unhappy sound last weekend, banging when the middle of the train reached the bottom of the hill. It was then closed last Saturday evening, with all of the staff seemingly sent to work elsewhere, as the station and surrounding area was deserted of Thorpe attractions staff.

I've seen some comments that there is an issue with the chain. Hopefully it reopens tomorrow, but we shall see.
Swarm Chris

Thorpe Park car park charges have changed again.

The prices are now:

£8 online in advance.
£10 at the Island Ticket Centre, Admissions, or Fastrack Outpost.
£15 at the gate, contactless payments only.
Free for VIP and Premium Merlin Pass holders.

The FAQ on this is an entertaining read. Essentially blaming the customers for all issues surrounding parking, parking charges and delays on leaving. Not that their system is terrible.
Our online car parking price is £8. This is our cheapest price and we recommend booking online in advance, you can do that here. If you choose to pay on the day at the Island Ticket Centre, Admissions or the Fastrack Outpost, you will be charged £10.

We operate a barrier system on exit, please be considerate of our other guests and ensure you have your ticket ready to be scanned when leaving.

If you choose not to purchase your car parking ticket before the barriers, you will be charged £15. We accept contactless payments only at the barriers.
Can't see them only accepting contactless payments at an incredibly inflated rate causing any issues at the gates in the next few weeks... :roll:

Edit: So they had issues that very evening. Reportedly a 90-120 minute queue to leave the car park, which led to the usual cacophony of car horns. Responses from Thorpe that I've seen have included blaming customers for the delays and that the barriers make no difference to the grid lock getting out. Now they're suggesting they're looking at changes for next season.

Here's the thing though: there are 4 gates, with each taking about a minimum of 30 seconds per car if the scanners are being used. That's roughly a maximum of 480 cars an hour, assuming everyone has paid. Compare that with no artificial delay and a roundabout that will have little to no other traffic at 10pm at night, with 1 lane going left to the M25 at 40mph and two lanes going right to the M25 at 50mph. I suspect the highways agency designed it with the intention to handle far more than 480 cars an hour, otherwise it would be backed up for miles every morning with park traffic arriving, which strangely it isn't ever. Very peculiar that when the majority of cars arrive in the hour between 9:30 and 10:30 the roads all manage, yet it would be impossible for them to handle the same volume of traffic at the end of the day. :sus:
Joel Allen

The Swarm will be closed today (14th October) as per Thorpe Park's website