Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Swarm Chris

AltonOperator wrote:Thorpe park have negotiated with the council and no longer have to make their planning permission public.
Only for certain small things. A roller coaster or any other significant outdoor attraction is not exempt from the standard public planning permission process.
AltonOperator

Thorpe no longer have to make planning permissions public. All people will now see is if they have submitted planning permission or not. It's likely project 2020 has already had plans submitted
Thanks Jack
Swarm Chris

The request they made definitely only covered small additions. :)

Here is a quote from their application:
It is considered that the adoption of PDRs will provide Thorpe Park with the flexibility to provide small scale kiosks, stalls, small scale rides up to specific agreed heights (temporary and permanent) without the need to apply for full planning permission, whilst also removing the Council’s requirement to consider numerous small scale minor development proposals, with the assurance that there is sufficient control on future development at the Park.
Source: Covering Letter from the application.

It also appears that they haven't yet been given this ability yet, as the application is still pending.

Sadly, it means there is the park is certainly still at the internal development stage of any plans they may have.
Bert

Swarm Chris wrote:The request they made definitely only covered small additions. :)

It is considered that the adoption of PDRs will provide Thorpe Park with the flexibility to provide small scale kiosks, stalls, small scale rides up to specific agreed heights (temporary and permanent) without the need to apply for full planning permission, whilst also removing the Council’s requirement to consider numerous small scale minor development proposals, with the assurance that there is sufficient control on future development at the Park.

It also appears that they haven't yet been given this ability yet, as the application is still pending.

Sadly, it means there is the park is certainly still at the internal development stage of any plans they may have.
That submission was approved a year ago it's nothing new, since TWD:TR had planning approval there has been a new submission where they don't have to make plans public at all. 
[Insert Signature Here]
Swarm Chris

Bert2theSpark wrote:
Swarm Chris wrote:The request they made definitely only covered small additions. :)

That submission was approved a year ago it's nothing new, since TWD:TR had planning approval there has been a new submission where they don't have to make plans public at all. 
Unless I'm missing something, this is the only request they have made in the last 12 months for change of planning conditions. The only other 2 applications they have made are for the Walking Dead queue and Pizza building extension.
Ismail

I hope Thorpe Park see that it only needs a repaint and new trains, WITH lap bars, then the ride would be great. It is simple.
Htjc_

Seeing as we're coming to the end of the 2018 open season, when can we reasonably expect work for a new coaster to start? Presuming it's set for opening Spring of 2020 that is.

I wouldn't expect Thorpe to get a woodie however, as Towers need the visitor numbers to go up, they have been down since the Smiler incident. I'm also up for Colossus getting taken down, it's a rough ride in a drab area.
H8223R

Work could start at any point once they have planning permission.

It depends entirely on the coaster and size of the project. If Loggers Leap was to be removed, I expect them to do it at the beginning of next year straight after the Christmas break. Ground work should then begin almost right away. Looking at Yukon Striker over at Canada’s Wonderland their new Dive Machine is currently in vertical construction and isn’t due to open until next spring so they have started very early, I think Thorpe will want to do the same.

This is just speculation at the moment but something should happen soon. However, I think that next year Colossus will see a referb. The park know it needs doing as they stated such in an interview, so a track repaint, new trains and hopefully a station station update, aesthetics and hardware, will come. If we’re really lucky they’ll do some track replacements and update the rock work around the area. If they don’t then they have missed out on the perfect time to bring the ride back to life before it completely breaks down into disrepair.
nicky.borrill

Was very smooth today, only complaint is the restraints, they’re the only restraints in the country these days that feel like they’re going to break my collar bones, I am 6’3” and have big shoulders, they close so tightly on my collar bones to get that seat belt in. 
nicky.borrill

Sound system was pointless too today, could barely hear the music and the voice overs, it was really bad. Still the best ride in the park though. Front row, right hand side, outside seat is my absoloute favourite. Though front, left, outside is good too. 
nicky.borrill

This is going to sound sad, one of my favourite things to do is let out some really loud high pitch screams in the corridor on the walk to the ride, did it again today, it gets others screaming in fear, builds the atmosphere and gets folk running for the train.  :lol

Shame there are no actors, or jump scares of some sort in that first pre ride section, think they really missed a trick with that, everyone (who haven’t ridden it already) is so on edge expecting something to happen. 
Swarm Chris

Flew over the park today. The car park looked empty at 3pm :lol
Htjc_

That's good news, I'm going next Sunday. Fingers crossed it will be empty then too!
Please! No more IP's Thorpe! I'm begging you!
Swarm Chris

With the park heading into Spooky Season, it appears that the gentler rides in Old Town will only operate 10am-2pm on Fright Night day. Something to be aware of, if bringing smaller ones to the park.

This includes: Rocky Express, Timber Tug and Lumber Jump.
Htjc_

Not sure what this might mean, but there was green tape on some of colossus' supports today that looked relatively new. They're along the queue line next to the walking dead building. I don't think it was painters tape either as it got done not long ago. This is probably nothing but thought someone might have a clue as to what it could be, if anything. I'm still a bit new to make a judgement really.
Swarm Chris

Htjc_ wrote:Not sure what this might mean, but there was green tape on some of colossus' supports today that looked relatively new. They're along the queue line next to the walking dead building. I don't think it was painters tape either as it got done not long ago. This is probably nothing but thought someone might have a clue as to what it could be, if anything. I'm still a bit new to make a judgement really.
Is the tape on the ride supports of the lift hill, or on the track going into the station? I don't suppose you got a photo of it?

I've been taking a closer look at Colossus since it had a week long closure earlier this year and haven't spotted anything that looks out of place yet. My last trip was a few weeks ago.

The simplest thing could be that they're using it to mark out where they want lighting for Fright Nights, although I'm sure the lighting was left up from last year. But strange markings appearing in places may have more interesting meanings! :)
Htjc_

Yeah it was on the lift hill, I should have got a photo. Nothing else seemed odd, just thought it be worth mentioning. Lighting does seem likely though.
Please! No more IP's Thorpe! I'm begging you!
Swarm Chris

There'll be a load of forum members there on Friday and Saturday this week, so I'm sure they'll have their eyes peeled now. :)
Alex

There's a small teaser on top of the Blair Witch building which you can see when exiting Inferno. There's a piece of wood with "MMXX = ?" on it.
theparklifekid

Alex wrote:There's a small teaser on top of the Blair Witch building which you can see when exiting Inferno. There's a piece of wood with "MMXX = ?" on it.
From the creators of 'Saw: The Ride', 'The Walking Dead: The Ride' and 'Angry Birds Land' comes 'Blair Witch: The Ride'! A mini dive coaster!!!
I'm hoping that is just a loose teaser saying an investment will be coming soon. Parks tend to tease upcoming rides with cryptic clues here and there.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!