Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
jotemo87

Swarm Chris wrote:The 2for1 offers are typically the only walk up offers they have. But I would look at what the current online price is with Thorpe.

Be warned there can be a very very long line for ticketing in the morning. Having a pre-purchased print-at-home ticket from Thorpe directly, can at times save you over an hour of queuing to get in.
Ok, I will buy the ticket from Thorpe Website. About the transportation, NationalRail is the best choice?
Swarm Chris

jotemo87 wrote: Ok, I will buy the ticket from Thorpe Website. About the transportation, NationalRail is the best choice?
Assuming the ticket they're offering doesn't say it's an Advance Ticket, then the price they quote will be the same as the price at the station on the day. Keep in mind that if you buy online, you will still need to collect your actual tickets at the station.

You may be able to find a cheaper rate at a site called The Train Line, but you will likely then be forced to use a specific train at a specific time.
Swarm Chris

So after Thorpe stated they were extending their opening hours, they've now seemingly reversed the decision and have added a whole load of closed days back into September.

This has been the calendar for the last day or so. But in the last day I've seen their social media confirm that both the open every day calendar and this 3 days a week closed calendar, are correct. So I think you take your chances on the park actually being open Monday-Thursday in September... :roll: But it should be noted that the ticketing system now matches this latest calendar.

They also released another teaser for Fright Nights via social media that seems to contain a Big Top reference. But honestly, I don't have much confidence it means anything, given the recent inaccuracies.
Justin

Just going to add fuel to the fire here...

Look at the clock ;) Coincidence?
Swarm Chris

Interesting... Or they picked a clock with London on it and didn't know the reference! :lol
Justin

Possibly, just too specific. I do believe it will be in Old Town though :lol
AltonOperator

(you accidentally double posted Justin)

Hmm the image is certainly interesting. It is either a complete accident or a serious hint but I'm not sure that they would have been told much yet. It's still very early
Thanks Jack
Justin

Thanks for the spot AltonOperator :D All corrected :)

It could just be a complete coincidence, but I am expecting to hear some news from Thorpe Park soon. We really need something to keep us going over the closed season which we can pick up and follow when the park opens again next year. I expecting any coaster to open in 2020 will have to begin construction next year.
AltonOperator

No problem :)
Yes with all the uncertain hints, there must be some kind of official tease soon probably an image of some kind with '2020'. Only time will tell!
Thanks Jack
H8223R

Depends on how quickly they want to get started on construction. If the coaster interacts with other areas of the park they will want that section of work (probably footings) complete by opening day 2019 to resume normal operations. Personally, I think they will aim for submission between the Fright Nights announcement (tomorrow!!!) to continue building FN hype and the end of Fright Nights itself. But this is Thorpe so they could throw us a curve ball. But I agree we need something decent for over the closed season - especially if next season will be an "off" season while construction is underway.
Swarm Chris

I don't think we'll see much before the end of the season. I noticed last week that the park has been searching for a new head of PR, with the closing date for applications being this week. I don't know what the current status of the PR department is, but if that role is currently empty then it seems they would want that position filled before starting on the campaign for their next big ride.

If the ride does go into Old Town, then for me it changes the potential profile for the ride. That part of the park has always been more rustic, so sticking some metal monster in there would be out of character, unless they re-themed the whole lot. If it's in this area, I don't think we're getting a B&M hyper, which I suspect was meant to go on the island behind The Swarm. Having re-read the pending planning application again, this site is the only remaining site from the last medium term development plan that could have a roller coaster developed on, with a 50m tall ride being considered there. The 40m coaster was The Swarm, and the intention at the time was to develop on 2 out of 3 areas, with the Shark hotel being placed in the other development option they had proposed.

What is slightly odd is the change-of-use planning request Thorpe made to land nearer to Swarm island almost a year ago now. This application included the use for retail and attractions, as well as another area for temporary usage for community events (marathons and scout camping). This application has seemingly stalled, with the last update being in May and there are a few outstanding environmental objections. I struggle to see why they would make this request, when the intention was to work in the Old Town area. The rate of development in the park over the last few years doesn't match the idea of developing two areas at once. If development is in Old Town, I hope it has had the full development cycle it deserves and hasn't been compromised by any change of plan that may have occurred. Also given the way the Loggers site has been abandoned, they could end up with more environmental objections in this area if it has become home to local wildlife.
jackf1tz

AltonOperator wrote:I like the Thorpe skyline one. I hope they try to do more with the Thorpe island brand in the future
Reminds me a bit of some of the newer Blackpool Pleasure Beach stuff
PhNx Survivor

This is just pure speculation but hear me out..

Do to the time frame Thorpe now has, I do not think that we’ll see the coaster on Loggers Leap area, as deconstruction should of started by now, if they intended to build there.

I do believe it will be Old Town area, specifically I believe that the station could either be based on Slammer’s old site, or that ride that used to be next to where I’m A Celeb is now, can’t remember the name of the ride but the one with the cars, been gone for years.

Both these 2 sites are easily accessible for a coaster to traverse down the old Thorpe Railway line.

I also believe that the ride will be a B&M Hyper as from seeing construction of other rides in America, they don’t take that long to consturct compared to a RMC/GCI/Intamin (Intamin dependant on type of ride).

It is possible that the ride could be an Intamin, due to the success of Hyperion at EnergyLandia, but with a year and a half left until the 2020 season opening, you’ve think we’d of seen some kind of development by now?

Like I said, just pure speculation, but considering other constructions around the world, it’s becoming less likely for me that this ride will be a woodie.

The way that Loggers has been spoken about in recent months also seems like the ride will make a comeback when this new ride is closing in on opening. (If the ride is in Old Town)
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Justin

PhNx Survivor wrote:This is just pure speculation but hear me out..

I do believe it will be Old Town area, specifically I believe that the station could either be based on Slammer’s old site, or that ride that used to be next to where I’m A Celeb is now, can’t remember the name of the ride but the one with the cars, been gone for years.
I do agree. I've heard that The Slammer site might be used as a station building. I can't remember if I posted on here or spoke to people about it, but I have a suspicion that the area around IAC, the Burger King and the toilet block will go as part of the Old Town development. I don't think Loggers will last much longer to be honest.

It could be possible that the coaster has a rustic feel.
Swarm Chris

I feel that the Slammer site would be a very tight squeeze for a station. They would probably need to move the toilet block as well to fit a station, workshop plus queue in. The coaster routes in and out would be a bit tight too and having leased the tented area to Sticky Sisters this year, I can't see them kitting out a new restaurant for a known 1 or 2 year lease.

For me, the old Loggers station area makes more sense, as it has a lot more space to play with and the ability to add secondary buildings like shops into the plan.

But yes, there are plenty of development options on the old Fungle Safari site and Old Town Burger King building, but it would remove a Fright Night spot.
Tom170499

They only started deconstruction of The Flume during winter 2016 so it could still be on Logger’s site. If anything, I’d have expected to see planning permission by now.

With Merlin saying a while back that they were cutting investment into the Resort Theme Parks, it makes me doubt wether we’ll even get a new coaster anytime soon.
Bert

Towers planning applications are very different to Thorpe's simply due to the location and don't assume how they submit planning applications can't change. 
[Insert Signature Here]
Swarm Chris

Thorpe have a fair few restrictions as well. Flooding and wildlife constraints appear to be the major ones for them. Fairly sure no planning law requirements have changed for someone wanting to build a roller coaster though. ;)

Just went back and looked at The Swarm planning permission request and it appears it was barely a two month process. With the application going in the beginning of February 2011 and the decision made by the end of March. So whilst we hope for something soon, we could easily be waiting until February next year.
H8223R

Loggers is in a very bad state - I had a peak through gaps in the station building and it's so run down, I don't know if it's salvageable in it's current form. The trough looks like it would require some extreme maintenance or replacing. However, despite this I rode Colossus in the dark earlier in the year and noticed the emergency lift hill lighting is still operational. I don't know if this is a legal requirement but it is strange running electricity for a ride that's been closed for three years. Either way, Loggers needs sorting out. Old Town is a bit of a mess at the moment; you compare the quality of Swarm Island to Old Town and you wouldn't think they were in the same park. You have really poor quality fencing covering up what once used to be a really iconic and great attraction (at least Zombie Hunt improved it slightly), two flat rides that seem quite out of place with theme and buildings that are due some renovation or at least a lick of paint. I hope either next year as the main 'new and exciting' thing or in 2020 as part of their large investment they sort this area out. I hate to say it as the area has so much history at Thorpe but I would rather see it closed off next year and completely ripped out and replaced with a new themed area alongside their 2020 coaster, perhaps a futuristic theme would fit a hyper coaster.
Swarm Chris

For anyone heading to Thorpe over the next few weeks, keep in mind that the wind will likely be the biggest cause for ride availability issues at the park. Also remember the rides at Thorpe are fairly exposed and it can be calm on the ground in the park, whilst being really windy on the rides.

Sadly they don't release the figures for when rides will stop working, but I have it in my mind that 10-15mph was the borderline for when things start closing. So far this year operations have been pretty good in terms of weather, but I remember several cases last autumn where a lot of the park was closed. Tomorrow is meant to be a fairly windy day, so it will give a good gauge of what restrictions are in place for this year.