Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Swarm Chris

Time for another, weird thing spotted at Thorpe Park, does it have any deeper meaning?

Spotted in the blaster collection point at Zombie Hunt: C.H.I.P 7706.

Source: coastersnaps on Twitter.

I can't see that it has any relevance to Zombie Hunt, so it's been deliberately placed, unless there's something I'm forgetting. The blue ring is in the same layout as one of the Thorpe Park rings.

Edit: Whilst typing it up, Thorpe Park liked the Tweet... :-k
Last edited by Swarm Chris on Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AltonOperator

To me it looks like Galactica for Thorpe park. I have always hoped the 2020 coaster is a B&M hyper themed to the Island like no other and this would sort of support it. It could be Island Express or something and be themed to a tour of the island

That being said it could literally be anything at this point so I should probably shut up :lol
Thanks Jack
ThemeCrafter264

Is this a permanent change for the ride?
Swarm Chris

Another image has been posted, stating that this can be found over by Blair Witch.

Source: coastersnaps on Twitter.

MMXX = ?

Or in Roman numerals: 2020 = ?

Are Thorpe actually getting near to pushing Project 2020 information. Or is this another example of the design team having a bit of fun?
AltonOperator

Ok that one is difficult to deny. Something's happening there. Where in the park is Blair Witch?
Thanks Jack
Justin

Blair Witch runs from Old Town, towards Nemesis Inferno, along the told Canada Creek Railway which used to run to the farm!

Thorpe could be having a bit of fun with enthusiast. Apart from the symbol and opening up the shed, nothing has happened really. Now they have added 2020 speculation then it is anyone's guess.

There isn't that much room down that path to build a coaster so I don't think it will use that route. If anything it will go onto Loggers and Slammer, with the possibility of Burger Kind, the toilets and parts of Old Town disappearing too. Speculation of course, but no doubt we will see a planning application soon, with initial teasers releases at Fright Nights!
Swarm Chris

Some speculation from the C.H.I.P 7706 poster that was found in Zombie Hunt, which Thorpe liked before the tweet was deleted.

A lot of parks have been teasing new coasters this year giving the vital statistics of the ride. I'm wondering (or rather speculating and making a straight line from two points) if Thorpe could be doing the same.

We have 4 letters and 4 numbers. My wild speculation is they match up:

C.H. 77
Coaster Height 77m. This just happens to be near enough 250ft, which is higher than Thorpe previously sought permission for, but is just 1m taller than Shambhala, and the exact same height as Energylandia's Hyperion.

I.P. 06
Possibly the P and the 6 form Project 6. Any new roller coaster would be the 6th large coaster in the park.

The I could either be part of the project name, so for example I(nvestment) Project 06. Or it could be the number of inversions is 0.

It's all speculation, but a 77m tall coaster with possibly no inversions, sounds a lot like that hyper we keep talking about.
DeadJack5

Like Justin said, this could be a bit of teasing from Thorpe, remember last year with the "Legacy" sign outside of Big Top? It maybe nothing but we shall see. Very interesting to see
DeadJack5

ThemeCrafter264 wrote:Is this a permanent change for the ride?
As said above, it is being trailed as a "Live/Fright Nights mode" so should be seen trailing slightly at the moment but featured prominently at Fright Nights.
Danny

Adding to the above, I.P 06 could well mean this will be the 6th IP attraction Thorpe add alongside Lionsgate, Angry Birds, I’m a celeb, DBGT and TWD. Just an idea :)
Justin

That sounds plausible to be honest. We must be due planning application.

Regarding the extra 1m, I wonder if the application allows them to dig down so it does not exceed the height?
Swarm Chris

The I could also stand for Intamin, but I have no idea how many Intamin rides have been at the park so far, but not sure they've had 5 already.

Previous planning intention was for 50m and 40m, but both were at sites at the front of the park. Maybe if they use the Loggers site they can go higher with less sight line issues for the resident areas? Stealth is at 62m. Having seen Hyperion is 77m, it seems to be a magic number for roller coaster height.

Given the flooding concerns they have, I'm not sure they're allowed to dig down.
Swarm Chris

Yep that whole Legacy and 0? issue is something that is at the back of my mind here. We know that the design/construction team like to have fun and have occasionally done things that perhaps management weren't aware of.
Justin

A hyper has been loosely mentioned before. Even at one of the past events, but that could have just been another decoy! :lol
Justin

That is a valid point. I suppose it depends where they dig, but It wouldn't need to be much at all!
Swarm Chris

I really want the hype train to start, but the park has just done so much trolling in the past! I guess they've got to the point where they could literally stick the plans on the wall and I'd still have a part of me going, yeah... but... :lol

On the plus side for the hype train, there's no mention of RMC, which seems to be used when they want to be more obvious about trolling.
Justin

After the success of Wicker Man, I do believe a woodie would be a great choice for Thorpe, but I doubt Merlin will want to outdo their latest rollercoaster so soon!

A hyper seems more logical for 2020, with 2024 being the year of the woodie, but I could see the Loggers site being used for that moreso :-k
Swarm Chris

I agree that a woodie would be a great addition and that Thorpe could do a more intense implementation. The Loggers site seems more the ideal candidate for it theming wise, but there's a lot of water in the area that they'd have to build on. A steel hyper has the advantage of fewer supports to worry about placing. Unless they somehow manage the drain that area further, or construction really doesn't worry about water!

I think 2024 is more likely for a woodie. Wicker Man was a gamble and I don't think Merlin would have gone double or nothing for having a second one lined up in 2020. Plus you're right, Alton needs all the help it can get in marketing itself right now, building a bigger and badder version of "the same ride" 150 miles down the road so soon, won't do that! :lol
AltonOperator

Danny wrote:Adding to the above, I.P 06 could well mean this will be the 6th IP attraction Thorpe add alongside Lionsgate, Angry Birds, I’m a celeb, DBGT and TWD. Just an idea :)
It’s possible but I personally feel like ip is a term that only real enthusiasts and industry professionals use. I have to explain it to the GP quite often
Thanks Jack
PsychOXRat

On park today I saw half of the CHIP image on the right side of The Swarm's control booth, so they're definitely hinting towards the new coaster.

I also wonder if they're hinting at the location being where Logger’s Leap is, at a stretch; CHIP could be referencing a wood chip, which could then be linked to Logger’s Leap's wood theme, although I think it's unlikely to mean anything.