Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Swarm Chris

Despite being more then happy to poke fun at it, I'm going to stick up for this event. At the end of the day it's adding the summer vibe to the park in stark contrast to seemingly horror everything else, which there's been a fair few complaints about as well. It's also good to see Thorpe taking interest in having different events throughout the year, rather than open in March, Fright Nights in October, close.

I think the big sticking point has been the branding. It's been pretty divisive and given the fairly frequent ethical issues documented in the media, is not one I think Thorpe should have used. If they had been able to use their own branding, I suspect they could have received a better response, or at the very least a lot less negative responses. But it's far simpler to sell something if people already know it, and sadly people know this brand.

I know Thorpe have had a fair amount of push back on this event, with tweets having been deleted because of the comments they received. Whilst I feel damage limitation is too strong a term, I think they are trying to have a refresh on how they present this event. Currently pretty much everything else they've put out has immediately had "love island sucks", "I thought you were a theme park" or "how about you build a roller coaster instead" type comments, plastered across the bottom. The events team seem very passionate and are driven by feedback, so I'm guessing having this as the predominant feedback is not doing their morale any good at the moment.

Edit 23/07/2018: Having seen the publicity photo's they've released, I retract all support for this tacky event. Thorpe went from being involved in a school event promoting STEM events one day to parading Love Island "celebrities" around the park in bikini's for photo shoots and instagram marketing by the kids visiting during schools week, the next. I saw a comment from a teacher that went along the lines of: "We spend all year trying to mold our students into not being these exact people, then Thorpe just go ahead and do this".
Last edited by Swarm Chris on Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sawboss

I find Love Island far more horrifying than any Saw movie on a very fundamental level.
Zero666

Is the second from the left a Colossus badge? I can’t figure out what it is! Ignore me, it’s Saw!

Does TWD: The Ride have a pin badge?
Last edited by Zero666 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swarm Chris

Zero666 wrote:Is the second from the left a Colossus badge? I can’t figure out what it is!
Top row is: Rush, Saw, Colossus, The Swarm, Thorpe Park.
Zero666 wrote: Does TWD: The Ride have a pin badge?
Unsure on this.
Zero666

Thanks! I realised about 20 seconds after I posted that it’s Saw as it’s the same spiral pattern as Billy has on his cheeks!

I’ll have to have a look for TWD pins when I go on 7th August
Swarm Chris

Thorpe have announced that there will be three ways of getting tickets for Zombie Hunt.

1. Collect a free timed ticket between 10am-12pm, while spaces remain.

2. Purchase a timed ticket for £1.50 online.

3. Purchase a fastrack timed ticket for £10 online.

Given the tickets are timed in half hour intervals, I really don't understand the £10 fastrack option. They've sneakily said that the free and £1.50 tickets are the time you can enter the queue, but surely if they've managed the numbers then the queue will only be a maximum of 20-30 minutes depending on the attraction length. Otherwise the queue length will just compound throughout the day?

And if anyone bought the 3 month £400 seasonal fastrack package, it's not valid for this attraction.
Zero666

Swarm Chris wrote:Thorpe have announced that there will be three ways of getting tickets for Zombie Hunt.

1. Collect a free timed ticket between 10am-12pm, while spaces remain.

2. Purchase a timed ticket for £1.50 online.

3. Purchase a fastrack timed ticket for £10 online.

Given the tickets are timed in half hour intervals, I really don't understand the £10 fastrack option. They've sneakily said that the free and £1.50 tickets are the time you can enter the queue, but surely if they've managed the numbers then the queue will only be a maximum of 20-30 minutes depending on the attraction length. Otherwise the queue length will just compound throughout the day?

And if anyone bought the 3 month £400 seasonal fastrack package, it's not valid for this attraction.
Seriously? -_- I purchased the £1.50 tickets because I was of the impression that doing so would guarantee a specific time slot. I booked ours for 3pm so I won't be happy if we don't get to join the hunt at that time and have to spend a long time queuing :|
Swarm Chris

As first spotted by Thorpe Park Mania, It appears that Living Nightmare has re-opened (in it's non-extreme form), as a replacement for the delayed opening of Saw: Alive.

Queue time for it has just updated online to 5 minutes, so looks like it's confirmed to be open.
Joel Allen

I'm a Celeb also looks like its opened early today. Good on Thorpe :)
Zero666

Swarm Chris wrote:As first spotted by Thorpe Park Mania, It appears that Living Nightmare has re-opened (in it's non-extreme form), as a replacement for the delayed opening of Saw: Alive.

Queue time for it has just updated online to 5 minutes, so looks like it's confirmed to be open.
That’s definitely cheered me up! Have they said how long it’ll be open? I missed it both this year and at Fright Nights last year :(
Dan

I imagine it’ll only be open until Saw Alive is ready, as that was meant to be open from tomorrow until the end of the summer holidays. However, we don’t have any indication as to how long that will be :)
Zero666

Dan wrote:I imagine it’ll only be open until Saw Alive is ready, as that was meant to be open from tomorrow until the end of the summer holidays. However, we don’t have any indication as to how long that will be :)
What changes are they making to it? There isn’t a lot of info in the Saw Alive topic atm. Hopefully it won’t be open when I go on August 8th (that sounds awful, sorry! ;))
Dan

Zero666 wrote:What changes are they making to it? There isn’t a lot of info in the Saw Alive topic atm. Hopefully it won’t be open when I go on August 8th (that sounds awful, sorry! ;))
As far as I’m aware, there aren’t any changes being made to the actual maze. It’s more likely to be a case that it’s not been signed off for use yet by H&S, whereas Living Nightmare will have been due to it being open during May Half Term.
Zero666

Ah thanks for the info! I went on Saw Alive at Fright Nights and didn’t think it was that great. Would’ve liked to have spent 2 hours waiting for Living Nightmare but the queue time kept increasing so we didn’t bother :(
Dan

Yesterday evening, SouthParks attended a preview of Zombie Hunt, which is a thoroughly entertaining addition to the park.

Running every day from 12pm until 6pm, the event features great humour and light scares, and is sure to be a hit over the summer.

You can experience Zombie Hunt from today until 3rd September.

Swarm Chris

This looks like it's going to be fun. Looking forward to experiencing it tomorrow. :)

Seems like it should be popular as they've already sold out of tickets for this weekend.
Bert

Is it me or does the third picture remind you of Shrek?
[Insert Signature Here]
PhNx Survivor

Funny how his trousers are undone.. would like to know more of a back story for that guy in the toilet :lol
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
The Nemesis Fox

At 21:59 1 minute before ride close everything is either closed or at the minimum wait time of 5 mins. That is except Storm surge which still has a 35 minute queue.
streetmagix

Everything (apart from Inferno which was down to 1 train) was basically walk on from 9pm. I did 3 rides on Saw, Inferno back row, and 6 or 7 cycles on Rush in just over an hour. I'm certainly not complaining!