Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Dom

I think I agree. It will either be laser quest or paintball or Nerf. I do like the little reference in the posters too
Swarm Chris

Paintball would make a lot of sense from the realism aspect. But if this is going to have actors, they'll have to be paying them danger money!

I'm assuming the QR codes go to the standard Thorpe website? Although they have covered them up in the photos so maybe they give more info.

Edit: Took a closer look at the promotional picture and they look very much like laser tag. You can see a cable clip to what looks like a sensor on the guy to the left.
Justin

I'd say any longer than a week without news then they have a major issue. Thorpe have suffered a lot with ride breakdowns this year.
Swarm Chris

They've been somewhat quick in listing it closed on the website - there's also a note on the Colossus information page saying that it is unavailable. Given the area they've closed, it just doesn't seem like the normal suspects of trains, station or lift hill motor failing.

Their ageing ride selection is definitely showing them up this year.
Swarm Chris

Day 4 of Colossus being closed and it appears the cherry pickers are out, with maintenance looking at the supports on the cobra roll.

Credit: @Swiftie_Freek on Twitter.
Justin

It must be the structure!
Jack

If it's the structure I think it's only a matter of time before this starts being a "Project 2020" discussion ;) :lol
Swarm Chris

Thorpe apparently has a new summer map, which I'm sure will finally resolve the question of whether Colossus was meant to shut down.

Source: @CorkscrewCoast on Twitter.

Trouble is, if you look on their website for the online version, you find that they haven't updated the homepage link for a few years...

Source: Thorpe Park homepage / Key Information / Park Map
Robert.W

If the issues with Colossus were unexpected, and the leaflets would probably have been printed by the time the park realised that they needed to shut it, so I'd assume it's still on the map, even if it's never going to reopen. 

As for the out of date web info... that's The Merlin Way. Most incompetent theme park operators in the world. 

Joel Allen

Colossus, as well as vortex are both on the summer map. You can see this on the Thorpe Park instagram account. This is good to see. I hope Colossus and vortex re-open soon. I hope they can resolve the problem on Colossus’ cobra roll and it seems they are already trying to do that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Justin

Thorpe Park has posted this teaser on Instagram to promote the Zombie Hunt event.
Swarm Chris

Price £0.00, interesting.

Didn't think this would be a free event and it's not listed as included with season pass on the website. But strange to include that part if it isn't, or at least some aspect of it is free.
Dungeon-X-Smile

I’m not sure if I’m just being silly and stating the obvious but could the reason be for the weird name “Courageous Citizens Recruitment” be an Easter egg? I mean if it is where we think it’ll be, then won’t it be following the Canada Creek Railway? If so this is an adorable Easter egg!

I’m excited for Zombie Hunt, but not really certain what to expect. I think it’s going to be an interesting middle ground between Living Nightmare and Apocalypse Weekends, with the actor/immersion level of LN and the interactivity of AW - basically taking the best parts of each. This is a crazy idea but maybe they’re going to use the old CCR trains and hide zombies around the woods and you get on the train and go around? It would be so cool now that logger’s leap is all defunct looking, they wouldn’t even need to do themeing. I’ve seen the paintball zombie idea work as only hayrides before so this would be an interesting variant on it and it makes sense that they’d make matching acronyms to CCR, if they planned on using the old trains. That said it’s a lot of effort for a 6 week short run and I doubt the track/trains are in any sort of working shape.
Morgan

Unfortunately the track has been torn up round the Platform 15 route! It's a great idea but a little bit impossible :lol
Justin

Colossus is back open with a current queue time of 50 minutes :)

I do wonder if a retheme is still on the cards?
Swarm Chris

Did anyone else hear the sigh of relief coming from Merlin's accountants? Run the parks with the minimum operations that can be gotten away with to save money, then a big attraction goes out of service with a potentially very costly repair!

Maybe a 2019 repaint and tidy up, but otherwise I think it'll get left alone. It still draws the biggest queues in the park, so it isn't that greatly in need of a re-theme from an operations point of view.
Dan says hi

Samurai seems to have been down the last few days. Anyone know what’s up with it?
Swarm Chris

Unsure about this time, but this is the second time its been down this season. When it was down a few weeks ago they were working on the control boxes on each arm and had the cherry picker out, so it's already had one fairly large service.

Looks like Rumba Rapids also went out of service yesterday and remains closed today.
ThemeParkEwan

Colossus reopened today, had a ride on it and it didnt feel much different. However after coming off I saw a group of men trying to steal from the shop, whether the staff were intimidated or not, it's absolutely disgusting and Merlin aren't doing everything they can to keep staff and guests safe from this. It's obvious that there isn't enough security on park!
timmy1372

There was mention of a annual pass event on the Saturday the 21st of July because they had to cancel the annual pass preview day in March, any ideas if its still on?