Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

An intriguing article from Attractions Management with some comments from Dominic Jones, Divisional Director for Thorpe Park.
Exclusive: Thorpe Park's Dominic Jones upping the ante with new immersive ride experiences

Dominic Jones, the man in charge of Britain's Thorpe Park, wants to up the ante when it comes to theme parks, with plans to take its IPs to a whole new level as part of immersive ride experiences.

Thorpe Park has heavily invested in ride theming, particularly in recent years, with Derren Brown's Ghost Train and the rebranded Walking Dead rollercoaster both prime examples of this.

Speaking exclusively to Attractions Management, Jones, who was named divisional director of the park in January last year, said that immersion was key to creating memorable experiences for visitors, not just riding the ride itself.

"What we're trying to do with all of our experiences and rides is making them more than just that," he said. "We want you to be immersed in whatever world it is and that's what we've done here."

After securing the exclusive rights to the Walking Dead brand last year, Thorpe Park has gone all in, creating Halloween-themed horror mazes based on the property and now opening the former X: No Way Out as the rebranded Walking Dead: The Ride. Combining the elements of a traditional horror maze with a rollercoaster, the unique addition to the park has completely refreshed the offering, turning the formerly empty queue lines into one of the park's most popular attractions.

"What's been nice about this ride is the level of theming," said Jones. "It's been really important for me since I've been that everything we put in, we get to that level of theming and immersion.

"We spent a lot of the budget on making sure the theming for Walking Dead is spot on. We've had the creators come over and work with us on it. We've got everything from the iconic bits of the show to hidden stuff and little nods."

With the British summer fast approaching, Jones promised another "game-changer" for the park – last year's being the Walking Dead additions.

"For me, we need to put the guests at the heart of everything we do," said Jones.

"We call it 'guest obsession' – everything we're doing over the next five years, we look at 'how do we make sure we're guest obsessed?' It's about getting that thrill potential back. It's important to reinforce that with Walking Dead: the Ride and everything we're doing with the Walking Dead.

"I can't reveal our plans for the summer because we're currently in the contract stages. What I can say is it's another game-changer. You're not going to want to miss it."
Robert.W

Thats a very interesting article.. they should implement "guest obsession" at every RTP :lol Dare I say, Alton needs it this year :P 

Looking forward to hearing what they've got planned for the summer! :)

ScottLann

I feel like a B&M Hyper would fit well in the loggers leap area and going behind inferno and the rapids. With an RMC, I believe it would go well behind the The Swarm :) I guess only the future will tell....
Be Chosen - Join Us - You Better Not Go Alone - Assume The Position - Don't Look Down - Sit Back, It's Fright Time
PhNx Survivor

If an RMC were to be made.. they should use the old station of Logger Leap to house the station for the coaster, have a proper western/country theme to that area, as with the new small rides there’s too.

The ride could easily utilise the area that Loggers Leap had used, and more if needed.

I think if the coaster was a B&M Hyper, (which I think it will be), then the area behind Stealth joining onto the other island near The Swarm would be a best suited location for the station area, with an addition of a small flat ride (something to replace Slammer).

Just my thoughts anyway.. has anyone heard anything about Project 2020 lately?
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Robert.W

I had read somewhere that Project 2020 had been pushed back a year. Although I can't even remember where I read this, so I can't point anyone in that direction if you want any evidence sadly. I think a B&M Hyper is a pretty realistic prospect, with there being a couple of areas in the park I think it could fit in. Not so sure about an RMC, although I agree it could work well where Loggers Leap is now.

PhNx Survivor

Well that would be a shame.. so potentially Project 2021 :lol

Let’s hope it is still on track, and that sometime in the future we will hear something about the ride!
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Justin

Not heard that. Thorpe were very much aiming for 2020, last summer, at talk. I am still expecting to see a planning application around July or August time.
Robert.W

Yep. It'll be interesting to see if any planning applications do still appear. Might give a better indicator on whether the project has been pushed back, perhaps..?

streetmagix

If it is a B&M Hyper (or something of a similar height) I would expect a planning application sooner rather than later.

Building that tall I would expect some response/complaints from the local residents and the council. I think it'll be approved though, it might just take longer to approve than say DGBT or SWARM.
Swarm Chris

When I was there a couple of weeks ago it seemed like they were prepping for some work in the small lot next to I'm a Celebrity, where the Fanta VR experience went last year. If I had to guess, this will be where any new temporary thing will be again this year.
streetmagix

Walking around/underneath Colossus today and noticed a couple brick inspection pits, are they new or am I just very unobservant? I have to wonder why they weren't built at the same height as the others so only the concrete was in the water not the metal support.

Justin

I noticed it the other week. I can't remember it being there? It could have been, but the brickwork looks new.

I was at Thorpe today, and Colossus was running really well. Queue times were a little off toward the end of the day though!
ScottLann

I've seen somewhere recently that the next coaster that Thorpe Park will be installing will have a top height of 50 metres and will be on the island just behind the swarm. A lot of RMC coasters have the height between 40 and 60 metres so there could be a chance that it might be the UK's first rmc :) fingers crossed.....
Be Chosen - Join Us - You Better Not Go Alone - Assume The Position - Don't Look Down - Sit Back, It's Fright Time
glittabones

I grew up in Ottershaw so Thorpe Park was my playground 5 minutes down the road - lots of happy memories there! Phantom Fantasia/Wicked Witches Haunt was my absolute favourite ride and I'd force my poor parents to go on it over and over and over and over... it's such a shame that it burnt down. I'd love a replacement dark ride in the future.

I remember sitting on my father's shoulders watching a video of a rollercoaster in Cinema 180 when the Flying Fish was the only real ride in the park. :lol:
Swarm Chris

The 50m coaster on the island behind Swarm is listed in their current change of use planning application, which is still being evaluated by the planning officers.

They also have intent for a 40m coaster as part of the midterm development plan. But we can assume that is a long way off and liable for cancellation, or even swapping with the 50m one if any issues come up.
glittabones

As a B&M fangirl I'd be thrilled with a hypercoaster but I can't imagine where they'd squeeze it in! I don't want Loggers Leap to go.
theparklifekid

I guess this Project 0 maybe the next big development in the park, the Thorpe Twitter account is teasing random 0s in a few tweets:

Tweet 1
Tweet 2
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Swarm Chris

The loggers leap site wasn't listed in their rollercoaster development area in the plans put up for changes of use to some of the land. Currently the island behind Swarm, Swarm island and the land to the right of the dome as you enter are marked rollercoaster development sites. So loggers hasn't been completely discarded just yet it seems.

So at least at the moment there's n0 public intent to bring RMC in to refurbish it
into the world's first RMC converted from a log flume.
james3906

Yeah they are replying to peoples reply's with 0's as well. They couldn't be tricking us could they? 
Robert.W

Yeah, I wonder if it's possible they've seen this hoax (if it is) and are just playing along to stir things up? :lol