Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Morgan

I experienced the retheme for the first time yesterday, and I can hardly say I was impressed.
Firstly, the exterior. It's an endless concrete field of cattlepen! The queue moves incredibly slowly due to the preshow being a big bottleneck, meaning I had to queue 80mins in what looked like a 30min wait.
Spoiler
The preshow is short and sets up the experience, before you go through a series of corridors to the station. These corridors felt empty, with just some flashy red lights and dirty walls (I've heard there's more theming, but it was too dark to see/appreciate). There are some larger sets, which I'm sure are impressive, but it's so dark that you can't really see them.
The station looks the same but just dirtier with some muck over the safety signs.
The coaster begins, and most of it is in darkness. There are mannequins with clothes on the brake runs to look like "zombies", with a show sequence on the final one. 
Once the coaster is actually over, you pass through the long exit corridors, which are just like the entrance ones.
Then you leave the building, take a walk round the back of the queue, and are spat out into a little photobooth set up inside the megastore. This felt... weird, and a little forced.
Also to note is there was a sign saying there'd be actors inside this particular day, but our group didn't see any.
If it wasn't for the name, I wouldn't know it was "Walking Dead" themed either. The only references I noticed were a brief name drop of Negan, and the building being called the "safe zone". It should be pointed out that I've never seen the show, so there are probably more easter eggs that I just wouldn't understand.
All in all, I was incredibly disappointed with the ride! If I could sum it up in one word, I'd call it "empty". It doesn't have the same fun vibe that X had in it's later years, and not once did I feel even slightly nervous.
Owen

Clearly there must have been a light out for you, because I could easily see the large set piece which is a few feet from the queue, along with the various Easter eggs in the boxes and on the walls (especially love the one near the front end of the station!). In regards to the actors it’s unfortunate but that’s always going to be hit and miss, however complaining about waiting a long time for the ‘new’ thing, which has a huge IP attached in the half term is somewhat ridiculous - whether you thought it looked like 30 minutes or not...

At the end of the day it used to be a dark box with some lasers in so I’m happy! The ride requires you to keep your eyes open as well, there’s many things I didn’t see on my first go so to anyone going on it I’d suggest giving it a few goes!
Justin

I watched the Expo video from the Annual Pass night, last Saturday, and I was interested to learn that the ride experience can vary and change. Apparently, the preshow can go live and the Armoury scene has different scenes, therefore making it more reridable.
Dan

THORPE PARK Resort has announced that for the first time in its 38-year history, it will open its gates at midnight on Tuesday 24th April 2018 for 1,000 lucky fans to experience its new attraction The Walking Dead: The Ride for free.

All that visitors will need to do to qualify for the unique experience is to come to the Surrey based theme park dressed as a zombie and be prepared to act in a zombie-like manner in the queue line. Visitors must be in the queue by 11pm on 23rd April.

Tickets for Midfright will be available via Eventbrite from 23rd April at 10am and will be limited to 1,000.

As the UK’s first and only multi-sensory and multi-part rollercoaster, The Walking Dead: The Ride invites thrill seekers to flee The Walking Dead in a relentless and terrifying ride for survival.

It is also the world’s first rollercoaster themed around the global TV phenomenon of the same name and comes complete with state of the art special effects, a replica of the iconic watch tower, and will be the ultimate test of riders’ mettle.

THORPE PARK Resort’s Divisional Director Dominic Jones said,
“We’re really excited to announce for the first time in our history that we will be creating a midfright experience for our valued guests centred around our new attraction The Walking Dead: The Ride. We can’t wait to see all of the gruesome outfits that our fans wear to qualify for this unprecedented opportunity.”
Bert

To believe or not believe, That is the question.

Personally, A hyper wouldn't fit the size of Thorpe. (Yes I know what I said earlier in the thread) So I don't believe this.
[Insert Signature Here]
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I have read suggestions that the trees being cut down in between The Swarm and Stealth was to clear space for whatever the 2020 investment turns out to be, so that would potentially give them a wider site to work with.

Couldn't really complain about a new B&M in the UK, but I still hold out hope for something a little more 'original'.
ThemeCrafter264

I do believe the rumour and as much as I love airtime, it feels like a missed opportunity to add the UK's first RMC.
Justin

Bert2theSpark wrote:Image
To believe or not believe, That is the question.

Personally, A hyper wouldn't fit the size of Thorpe. (Yes I know what I said earlier in the thread) So I don't believe this.
It would fit with the teaser we saw last year!

I don't believe we'll see it located behind The Swarm personally.

I know it is late in the day, but after the massive success of Wicker Man, I was hoping for another woodie! :D
theparklifekid

If it is a Hyper, I could personally see it fitting it in where Loggers is now and have it travel behind Inferno and turn around by Rumba Rapids. That or have it do something Gatekeeper/Fury 325 style and make it travel around the dome and bridge.

I'd personally be very happy with either to be honest! I just don't want a dark theme, have it be a loose bright theme around the future and have it in a modern building with the idea of it being taken to the limit and having an epic time, in fact its probably gonna be the tallest and fastest coaster in the UK, so just call it 'Limit'.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Ryan.B

Whatever it is, I'd hope it focuses on airtime over inversions as much as I love wickerman, it's a twister layout, with 2/3 pops. Maybe a hyper RMC :lol
The Nemesis Fox

TBH I wouldn’t mind either a Hyper, Dive, LSM, RMC or large GCI. However it’s good if we’re getting a hyper in just 2 years, finally a lengthy good coaster that can compete with those in America. As long as their next coaster is Golden Ticket Award standard, I’ll be happy.
DeadJack5

I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but It looks like the Bush BBQ is going to be rebranded to "Sticky Sisters" with no real idea on what it will offer.
Nickolai

My friend went to Thorpe in the holidays. He said it was fairly quiet and queue 15 minutes for TWDTR and he said it was 'sick', which shows that some of the target market GP like it.
Formally Smiler313
Justin

I think it is only a temporary outlet, but it sounds like it will be ribs etc.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The brand’s website gives some idea of what to expect. It does look reasonably appealing, although the reviews are mixed.
Justin

KFC is going to love that :lol
streetmagix

Time to bump this thread. I'm going to do anything per year but here's what I'd do:
  • Adjust opening times so the park was open later in the day. Normal opening time would be 12pm, early close would be 7pm extending to midnight during the summer.
  • Push ahead with the permanent hotel and add a water park to the hotel.
  • Remove the beach and slides, use this as an events area. Have concerts and festivals during the summer with a temporary stage. During busy times (half terms, summer holidays) invite a traveling fair to use this site to bolster the ride offerings.
  • Investigate and trail a winter season, again inviting a fun fair and offering a limited offing of rides. Maybe SWARM, Inferno and Stealth along with the flats.
  • Refurbish Loggers Leap with Chiapas style boats, replace the first drop with a dark ride section with trick track sections.
  • Give Storm Surge a Viking funeral
  • Replace Slammer with a Larson Looper (European first!)
  • Refurbish the Dome, Bridge and general TLC around the park
Dan says hi

Still Quantum is closed. Anyone know what’s wrong with it? Is it waiting for a part of something worse?
Rocky Express has also been down for about a week as well which means that Old Town currently just has two old, small rides in that whole area working.
DeadJack5

Quantum has had scaffolding around it for a few weeks and is in the same condition so I can only assume that yes it needs a part as the supports which work the ride are exposed from the theming. I did see some staff at one point today inspecting the ride.

As well as this, Rush was running on one arm yesterday and was closed all day today. At the end of the day it was testing both arms so I can only assume they have been fixing the furthest arm from the entrance (the one that was shut) today. The operation cycle seems to be shorten, it felt like the cycle was over quicker compared to previous seasons.
DeadJack5

So having experienced the ride a few times now, I'm actually really pleased with what's been done with the ride. The overall experience is effective and I do feel it's a good all around ride. The theming is great, the ride itself is jam packed and the intensity is just right. Coming from me who has experienced every form of X in the past and now this, this is my favourite incarnation of the ride. Even riding with guests who range from fans of the show, to people who have never watched it and have rode X in the past, they really enjoyed the attraction and feel its a welcome rework of the ride.

More detailed spoilers below:
Spoiler
The inside of the ride and preshow is great, the preshow is done well enough to get you to notice everything that is going on and the screen at the back did catch some people out. The rush towards the ride is good with the audio cues timed well to make it seem you are being cornered. The ride I do like, the props, lights, even the screen of the shooting is good. I personally love the brake run judder and rollback. Ever since it was noted it would involve sudden stops, I knew that the old X:NWO brake run effect would be back and is done well.

The end is dependent on the time of year you go, I did try during the holidays which had actors and outside which didn't. The actors were very good, no real intense touching but great at rushing you out (they follow you an incredible length at making sure you're gone!). Even without the actors, if you have never done the ride, you do get the sense of panic and escape.

On the negative side, just after 2 weeks of having a successful run through, some of the effects are not working. The lift Hill lights that break weren't on, the inside of the building is brighter which means you can see the track for the rest of the section which is annoying. Some of the lights weren't working for the mannequins and some of the props go unnoticed because of this.

Overall I do like the attraction and feel like this is a great addition. There isn't too many Walking Dead references which feels nice for someone who has never watched the shows and only has experienced the mazes which only I've done.