Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
streetmagix

The short of it is: Thorpe isn't as 'magical' as Towers. It's a lot more compact, chaotic and noisy. 

It doesn't have a central focus point (The Towers themselves), it isn't as relaxing as there are no quiet areas away from the crowds, no gardens or ponds etc. The areas are themed very loosely (with the exception of SAW and SWARM) with themed areas overlapping.

There will be lots that are similar: the brands, the food (mostly), ticketing, car parking, fast track, RAP, guest services etc. 

Prepare for self batching, no single rider either. The stations can be quite chaotic at times.

I wouldn't compare the two to be honest, both very different but both are great in their own ways. Relax and enjoy it! Thorpe is a great park, just be prepared to accept that it's run very differently to Towers.
Robert.W

Capt. Barnacles wrote:For something that is very clearly a work in progress, I think it looks fine.
My prior comment regarding the picture contained high levels of sarcasm. :P
But no, that bloody hand slapped onto the side of the building doesn't look fine to me. It completely ruins the effect that the rest of theming is trying to convey.

Capt.Barnacles

Don't worry it wasn't you I was making a subtle hint at ;) 
Robert.W

Aahhhhh haha :lol

ThemeCrafter264

I'm not too sure the original source of the photo (I originally saw it on discord). My issue is it looks depressing and it just seems like the park forgot they already had a horror coaster. The Instagram picture summed the entire project. It was blood as words, which has been done so many times before.
Tom170499

ThemeCrafter264 wrote:I'm not too sure the original source of he photo (I originally saw it on discord). My issue is it looks depressing and it just seems like the park forgot they already had a horror coaster. The Instagram picture summed the entire project. It was blood as words, which has been done so many times before.
It’s a rollercoaster themed around escaping a zombie invasion. What do you want, flowers and rainbows with bright colours? Of course it’s going to look depressing. I agree, it doesn’t look great, and that logo slapped on is terrible, but it’s better than the old entrance for X.
Ben-

I agree that the 'sticker' :D is an eye sore, hopefully this might be just a construction thing to tell people what the ride will be, I hope it wont stay there! :@

Does anyone know the official opening date, because im going to Thorpe soon? And also what do you think of the question in my previous post? Just to save you searching it was:
Judging by the pictures of the unload bay, i know it might be promotional, but the zombie on the side of the unload bay, could it possibly scare you before you leave the ride?
Just want to know your opinion :)
from Ben
In case I don't see ya good afternoon, good evening, and good night, ha ha

Formally bendaboss
DeadJack5

I think the ride will be opening around easter
Stan.H

The entrance doesn’t look that bad tbh , and it does look quite ‘true’ to The Walking Dead. However, my only issue with it (previously stated) is the logo; it’s absolutely horrible! Even though the chances of them changing it are minimal, it would be great if they did, as it really detracts from the ‘wow’ factor the entrance could have on guests, espcially fans of the show! It certainly has restored my faith in this investment!
Chris
Admin
Admin

We'll be attending the media night on 29th April, so one can assume it will open shortly after.
Danny

If that’s the case, that’s pretty poor marketing on Thorpe’s behalf. Their social media campaign says:

“Reckon you have what it takes to take on #TheWalkingDead Immerse yourself in The Walking Dead: The
Ride only at THORPE PARK from Easter.”

Easter 2018 is Sunday 1st April, so if it’ll be opening a month later that’s pretty incredibly misleading.
Dan

Danny wrote:If that’s the case, that’s pretty poor marketing on Thorpe’s behalf. Their social media campaign says:

“Reckon you have what it takes to take on #TheWalkingDead Immerse yourself in The Walking Dead: The
Ride only at THORPE PARK from Easter.”

Easter 2018 is Sunday 1st April, so if it’ll be opening a month later that’s pretty incredibly misleading.
The media night is on 29th March, not April.

I think Chris has just got his months mixed up :P
Chris
Admin
Admin

Sorry, yes MARCH haha
Dom

My advice would be don't compare the two. Go to Thorpe without a set idea of what to expect. But from my own personal view point, I think TP is vastly better than AT. The fact you don't have to walk miles just to get from one side of the park to the other is definitely the one thing you will really notice. The food options are basically the same, but there is also branded food outlets at TP. These are Burger King and KFC (That might have changed, This is going by last years information as the park hasn't opened yet). Yes there is no single rider queue, and the batching can occasionally be horrendous, but its all good fun. The park is easy to move around. Its basically a funny shaped circle and I think it actually more atmospheric than Towers as its not so big. 
Tom170499

Dom wrote:My advice would be don't compare the two. Go to Thorpe without a set idea of what to expect. But from my own personal view point, I think TP is vastly better than AT. The fact you don't have to walk miles just to get from one side of the park to the other is definitely the one thing you will really notice. The food options are basically the same, but there is also branded food outlets at TP. These are Burger King and KFC (That might have changed, This is going by last years information as the park hasn't opened yet). Yes there is no single rider queue, and the batching can occasionally be horrendous, but its all good fun. The park is easy to move around. Its basically a funny shaped circle and I think it actually more atmospheric than Towers as its not so big. 
There was a time as recent as this time last year where I would argue that Alton is better than Thorpe, but following cut after cut at Alton, it is obvious that, in terms of things such as operations, value, availability, variety, and quality, Thorpe is by far superior. It is getting to the point where I am starting to think of Thorpe as Merlin’s flagship park, to the point where I have two 3 day trips booked in the space of a month, compared to one 2 day trip to Alton. 
Going back to the main point, as Dom said, don’t go with a preconceived idea that Thorpe is a southern Alton Towers. Yeah, they have similarities but overall, they are quite different. 
Nickolai

Thorpe and Towers do have very different atmospheres in my opinion, but it is clear Thorpe has a bigger operations budget with 10pm closures etc. Alton Towers in my opinion is more of a package, with the monorail, entrance, Towers Street, and all the different areas you need to venture to, whereas Thorpe feels more 'you're now here lets go everything'. Two very different parks which I appreciate in different ways.
Formally Smiler313
Braaadd-14

Thank you for the advice, can’t wait to visit now.
Robert.W

If you live near Thorpe Park and are available tomorrow morning, then this will probably be of some interest to people on here! 

Ben-

C'mon guys, is there nothing left to speculate? Lets talk!
The only thing i have as a conversation starter is, it would be cool ift he zombies scared you in the unload bay or chase you out of the exit, that might be possible due to the bottom left of this picture https://www.instagram.com/p/BfbN1VEBMdq/?hl=en&taken-by=thorpeparkofficial
Also do you think the ride will have an age restriction?

Ben
In case I don't see ya good afternoon, good evening, and good night, ha ha

Formally bendaboss
Dan

bendaboss wrote:C'mon guys, is there nothing left to speculate? Lets talk!
The only thing i have as a conversation starter is, it would be cool ift he zombies scared you in the unload bay or chase you out of the exit, that might be possible due to the bottom left of this picture https://www.instagram.com/p/BfbN1VEBMdq/?hl=en&taken-by=thorpeparkofficial
Also do you think the ride will have an age restriction?

Ben
I think given the length of the corridors in the building, I wouldn't be surprised to see actors on the routes to and from the station.

The Thorpe Park website advises that the attraction is not suitable for those under the age of 13.