Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
JonDoesTT

So upset that the back two rows will face forwards again, the experience of riding it backwards was incredible, and I'll definitely miss it.

Credit to NemesisRider
abigsmurf

Lots of memories as a kid.

Used to get soaked on the rapids until they toned it down because of that weird accident.

Remember crying on the hill of loggers leap because I was scared witless.

Remember the the creakingly old cinema 180 films (must have been from the 60's) and people falling over and/or going "wooooough" when you'd almost crash into something.

The ghost train was great, really sad when it burnt down.

Also remember they used to put free window stickers under your wipers in the (free!) car park.
stealthsmiler

I think it's a shame to see it go. Although I personally preferred forwards I also enjoyed backwards and always rode both. It made people want to ride it twice. People who didn't enjoy it could simply avoid it. I think it's a bad decision and I can see a lot of people bringing it up on social media. Unless this year is designed to do that so that next year they can bring it back "due to popular demand" and hype it again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MerlinFan

I'd almost forgotten about the old 180 films - I used to be one the ones to fall over and go 'woooo' :')
Muppet738

Am I just being stupid or blind but has anyone else noticed that logger's leap has gone from the Thorpe park website ride line up ?
RollercoasterGEEK100

No, Loggers leap has been removed from the ride line up. I might be looking into this way too deep but I think we're going to see the removal of loggers either for new island development or a new coaster.
Dom

RollercoasterGEEK100 wrote:No, Loggers leap has been removed from the ride line up. I might be looking into this way too deep but I think we're going to see the removal of loggers either for new island development or a new coaster.
At the moment all we know about the Loggers Leap closure is that it is for a year long maintenance, as discussed a page or so back :)

No other news or information has come to light about it, which is a shame as it is a personal favourite of mine, but hopefully it will be making people moist in 2017!
Luce

I'm curious as to what will happen with Loggers as even though it is a good ride, it is getting on a bit in age and certainly would benefit from some sprucing up. Having said that, it may well not return which would start the speculation :)
Ryan.B

Loggers is a great ride, if it was to go, I would miss it a lot, but, Merlin are a business and if they invest in a larger, more modern water ride (Mack water Coaster? Aqua trax) I'd pick one of them over loggers anyday!
KoasterKraver

Keep X :(
Owen

It looks like the attraction has been refurbished according to this.
If you can’t stand the wait, join us this March and return to the jungle in the newly revamped I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here! Maze. Updated for 2016, guests will have to dig through dirty laundry in the Dingo Dollar Challenge and shriek in the Outback Shack as guests experience life as a camp-mate for the first time ever in this one-of-a-kind experience.
The is a very good idea to keep people in this attraction, I look forward to seeing what it's like!
Owen

South Parks have reported that Nitrogenie Ice Cream will be making its way to Thorpe Park for 2016!
Luce

I like the idea of another Nitrogenie as I think the ice cream was really nice and looking forward to trying some different flavours - although the lemon meringue pie one was lovely :)
ASturge21

Nitrogenie is a good concept and has potential but seems so gimmicky.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk
Michelle

It would appear that Thorpe have confirmed on social media that Summer Nights will not be returning this season.

Massive shame as they were a lot of fun, although they were always so quiet that I can see why it probably wouldn't be cost effective for them.
Justin

I'm surprised!
It is a shame, but it seems we are in a period of cost cutting with Merlin. I suppose they want to recoup some of the costs for DBGT, and with this attraction, the crowds will come regardless.
Michelle

As a community we're always crying out for longer opening hours but if Merlin aren't seeing the financial return when they do open later I suppose it's not realistic that it would continue. They have said the decision is subject to change however.

Blackpool have extended opening several times a year, so you think the difference is that Blackpool is a destination, where the Merlin parks are more isolated?
xylyx

That's probably hit the nail on the head, with Blackpool there's so much more to do than just the pleasure beach so you can drift in and out. I'm guessing it's why Merlin are pushing the idea of resorts rather than pure theme parks.
Michelle

Now we just have to wait and see if this is the end of Island Beats events too.
Justin

Michelle wrote:As a community we're always crying out for longer opening hours but if Merlin aren't seeing the financial return when they do open later I suppose it's not realistic that it would continue. They have said the decision is subject to change however.

Blackpool have extended opening several times a year, so you think the difference is that Blackpool is a destination, where the Merlin parks are more isolated?
It is an interesting subject!

Certainly with THORPE, I believe due to its location it could become a destination resort with extended opening hours and extended entertainment, although this would need investment. The only thing that could hold it back is the local infrastructure/housing, but when compared to Chessington, Alton and Legoland, it could be more successful.
Chessington is too remote, compared with THORPE's M25 access. Alton is just a pain to get to (although a great resort when there), and Legoland Windsor has the restrictions for traffic. They couldn't even get the haunted house attraction approved!

Summer Nights was a good start to this but it only ran for 2 years, so it really didn't get the awareness it deserved to the GP. It will be interesting to see if Island Beats returns too. With THORPE Shark, and the proposals for a waterfront hotel, then they certainly have the advantage to pick this up again in the future. I just fear with Paramount just "around the corner" then they need to take action fast!