Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Dan

I found Brave it Backwards to be very underwhelming.

As Lakey says you can't see what's coming so it loses some of the experience that you get from going forwards.

If the back two rows are being turned forwards again I'll be sure to try back row Swarm on my next visit to Thorpe as I never rode it before they bought in B.I.B and I'd love to find out just how intense it is.
Owen

Personally, the back row wasn't anything special in my opinion, the sensation was quite similar to any other point on the train whereas the front row is much better, and so I feel a bit uneasy about this rumour
Last edited by Owen on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timmy1372

I've ridden the back row both forwards and backwards, as mentioned before I found the back row forwards pretty much the same as any other seat, unlike nemesis for instance, where it makes a big difference for me. So I'm also uneasy about this rumour, riding it backwards is certainly a different sensation and it would be a shame to lose it completely, especially as the loss is not made up with a gain, in my opinion!
Danny

I have also ridden the back row both forwards and backwards, and I would be disappointed if they changed them again. I didn't find forwards at the back to differ in experience compared to the other seats.
Personally I love going backwards and feeling the near misses whizz above your head, and you actually have time to admire what you have just missed.
I'm not sure from Thorpe's POV why they would make this decision. It gives people an extra ride experience, and that worlds first title we all know they love and adore.
It won't bother me too much as I enjoy both experiences, but I look forward to having it confirmed :)
Dan

This tweet by Thorpe Park this morning seems to even further hint towards Brave It Backwards being removed for the coming season.
simononestop

I remember going as a kid it seemed like an amazing giant place!
my fav ride space station zero
I remember all the old animal rangers
and a car ride where you could steer the cars but they were on a rail in the middle so it kept them on a rail track so to speak? think it went under the main entrance building?
Bronco Bikes!
I also remember some crazy golf.
the train through the boat.
and some kind of toy shop. I came home with a plastic toy model and accidently swallowed one of the parts lol!!

it seems tiny now as a grown up adult.
also there are no rides aimed at non thrill seekers and younger or family audience I think this has pluses ( i love big roller-coaster!) and minuses ( the chav and annoying teenager groups).

this site is good http://www.memoriesofthorpepark.co.uk/pastrides.html
Jared

I loved back row Swarm facing forwards. Watching the train peel away into the first drop / inversion was a sight to behold. The inner geek in me loves this!
Luce

I've also ridden back row forwards and backwards and despite liking both for different reasons, I'll welcome the return to forwards on the back if this is true. Especially as I felt last year the backwards feeling began to feel bumpy and not as smooth as the rest of the train and also before they were converted.
COASTERGUY246

they still reference it on the main webpage

Morgan

Dan

Morgan wrote:Image
That is pretty much what they said in the tweet that I've linked to on the previous page....
Morgan

Oh, I hadn't seen that [emoji14]
Jack

This will be very interesting, was never a fan of Brave it Backwards and so if the seating is returned to forward I will be more than happy! :)
Max

Agreed. I have feint memories of back row forwards and I recall it being pretty intense. Never been a fan of backwards, felt and looked like a gimmick. Interesting times ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
RedStar98

I always preferred going on it backwards, that's a shame, does anyone know why they're changing this now? I can't see any obvious reason why they would choose to change it.
Justin

I can't remember if I have ridden back row on The Swarm during 2012, but while fun, the backwards element does not bother me so much now. I think that was evident for Thorpe after the 2013 season too, as passes were soon phased out in 2014 and to my knowledge non existent in 2015.
It will be a shame not to have the option, but I wouldn't rule out its return in a few years time with Thorpe heavily marketing the BIB aspect again.
Owen

I'm really quite gutted about this, it's not as if it wasn't popular as it almost always had the back rows filled. It also means that Thorpe Park (and the theme park industry) are being stripped of a unique experience.

I think the worst part of this is the fact they are likely going to be covering this up with GHOST TRAIN's hype which is really quite disappointing - oh well, on the bright side, the lucky people to experience the sensation of falling backwards down the initial drop will be able to say that they have had an experience that no one will have ever again!
Justin

Owen wrote: I think the worst part of this is the fact they are likely going to be covering this up with GHOST TRAIN's hype which is really quite disappointing - oh well, on the bright side, the lucky people to experience the sensation of falling backwards down the initial drop will be able to say that they have had an experience that no one will have ever again!
Never say never!
timmy1372

I personally thought backwards was a genius idea, it effectively gave the ride 2 rows of front seats, albeit one was backwards, with completely unrestricted views front and back, most roller-coasters only offer an unrestricted view on one row of the train, not 2!
themealgang

I'm really happy that Thorpe Park have made the decision to reverse The Swarm to its original direction.

It was an awful experience. It made me feel ill and the cars on the back end of the train looked just bizarre going in a backwards direction.

Great decision, in my opinion. It's popularity was dwindling by the end of 2015.