Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

After stating that the closed dates in June were a technical issue, Thorpe have now gone on to update the website to show that the theme park will be open for all of June. However, the closures during October and September remain.
wamdue

Have to agree about this no singer rider thing, its a quiet day in the park today (not unexpectedly), staff were riding on it, to make up pairs.

As far as the change in theme goes, when I went as a teen (so 15 years ago) it was X:\, and I honestly don't recall a theme, I like the idea of being lost in a computer, it seems right for that time period and name. Today its more of a trance theme, alot of club lights and Darude Sandstorm playing on the way in, love Sandstorm, however when I first rode X:\ it was alot darker, and a better ride for it.

Of course it could be memory playing tricks on me

Finally didn't Alton Towers have an ice show about people inside a computer?
wamdue

despite not watching the show, I did actually go on this today, got to say I was a little lost, its way too format heavy, alot of stuff you would need to know the shows format to really get. I dont mind the little challenges, but it was a little lost on me
wamdue

Thorpegirl123 wrote:I was on colossus yesterday and wish I had gone on wearing a crash helmet. I hit my head to many times to count, so bad it left me with a pounding headache and dizzy all afternoon. It happened last time I went on but this time I could of cried with pain!
whilst I was nothing like what you describe, I do know what you mean, it is a bit of a head banger at times, and the first time I rode it, I felt very tight in my seat* certainly tighter than the other rides, too tight I felt.

*its not a me being fat thing
wamdue

ok general points

1) that car park, is there really no money to tarmac the whole car park, and smooth it out so there are less big puddles, I know Thorpe Park has more water rides than Alton Towers, but my car, does not like water rides, as much as the rest of us do.

2) the toffee cake they serve in the dome, is actually really nice.

3) merchandise, not a fan of, nothing worth buying even if you factor out the price, when will I ever need a 3 pint mug?
Owen

wamdue wrote:despite not watching the show, I did actually go on this today, got to say I was a little lost, its way too format heavy, alot of stuff you would need to know the shows format to really get. I dont mind the little challenges, but it was a little lost on me
Being honest, coming from someone who watches the show - I was lost as well!
This doesn't really have an effect on how confusing this attraction can be...
wamdue

Owen wrote:
wamdue wrote:despite not watching the show, I did actually go on this today, got to say I was a little lost, its way too format heavy, alot of stuff you would need to know the shows format to really get. I dont mind the little challenges, but it was a little lost on me
Being honest, coming from someone who watches the show - I was lost as well!
This doesn't really have an effect on how confusing this attraction can be...
the staff obviously have to be in character a little bit to keep the "ride" on brand, but for me, all that "celebrity" and "something about gold stars so I could have food" was wasted on me. Also I dont believe there was any bugs, I enjoyed the Shark Reef aquarium thing at Alton Tower, its a shame you are not offered the chance to see bugs and creatures, even if for sensible reasons you dont touch them, im certainly betting some of the school kids I saw in line, would have enjoyed that.

All that said im sure fans of the show, do enjoy it more, and the merchandise they get at the end, would be good for them, simply as merchandise of the show, rather than theme park merchandise.
Owen

Oh yeah I agree there, I don't mind this attraction, although I doubt I'll ever be doing it again, or at least for a awhile...
Aidan Lowe

360° of The Swarm for those who are missing it but want something more than a regular POV. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm liking this new trend of 360° roller coaster videos coming out. For those who can't get to parks in other countries its going to be a useful tool to keep going back and discovering the overall experience and surrounding area of coasters.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Liam.W

I love the 360 videos, especially as I can't get out to a lot of parks abroad. The 3 that I know of is an animated 360 of valravn, a 360 of Baron 1898, and obviously the swarm!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Max

Thorpe Park today confirmed on facebook the intention to close Logger's Leap for maintenance for the entire 2016 season.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
JonDoesTT

Must be some extensive maintenance if it's taking the entirety of the 2016 season..

Credit to NemesisRider
118hazaman

Andy Mc wrote:360° of The Swarm for those who are missing it but want something more than a regular POV. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm liking this new trend of 360° roller coaster videos coming out. For those who can't get to parks in other countries its going to be a useful tool to keep going back and discovering the overall experience and surrounding area of coasters.
I just watched it using my Google Cardboard. It's pretty cool, especially watching backwards from the front of the car. However, it did make me feel a little sick after a while.
MerlinFan

Awww that's a shame about Loggers Leap - I love that ride. It makes me smile just thinking about it - a lot of nostalgia attached to it :) Still, if it's for the better then I'm all for it. It's a very old ride so I can imagine some extensive TLC is needed by now! I hope they never get rid of it. I hate Tidal Wave as it's too wet for me and I think Loggers is much more thrilling anyway.
Stan.H

Oh no... That means Rumba Rapids, Storm Surge and Tidal Wave are gonna' get extremely long queue during the summer, how long does the Storm Surge queue hold?
Capt.Barnacles

Storm Surge manages to consistently have a 45 minute - 1 hour queue regardless of weather, not sure how since it looks incredibly boring. As for Rumba and Tidal wave, both are extremely popular as it is, much more so than Loggers. That's probably why it's been decided to keep it shut for 2016, that and maintenance. Every time I went to Thorpe this year Loggers hasn't had much of a queue.
Tom_iSatnav

As Dan says, the other water rides tend to have massive queues. Loggers tends to reach around 20 mins when I usually go, presumably because it is quite out of the way with virtually nothing to "advertise" the ride before boarding it. I reckon Tidal Wave and Storm Surge get long queues because its the first thing you see when you leave the dome and its easy to get to respectively.
KoasterKraver

Owen wrote:
KoasterKraver wrote:Any ideas of what the exterior music is by?
As far as i'm aware it's simply the music to the opening sequence to I'm A Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! however if it's been changed I won't know. As far as i'm aware this is the music utilized outside the attraction :)
It is not that.
Owen

It was playing over FRIGHT NIGHTS so this is definitely the soundtrack, I don't know what you may have heard but the sound track used mostly is the one linked :)
KoasterKraver

Owen wrote:It was playing over FRIGHT NIGHTS so this is definitely the soundtrack, I don't know what you may have heard but the sound track used mostly is the one linked :)
I'm on about the exterior music. It was playing country music, not the I'm a celebrity theme, in the queue.