Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
RollercoasterGEEK100

Nemesis Aqua isnt really a good name... I don't think Nemesis brand should expand anymore.
awsomelycoolboy

I have to go with The SWARM because apparently a lot of money went into theming considering they have a real plane wing (although they are not that far from Heathrow) a real Helicopter, a real Fire Engine, a real Lorry, a real Ambulance and many many more (from what I can tell it's all real, that or they are really really good props)
awsomelycoolboy

Nemesis Aqua isnt really a good name... I don't think Nemesis brand should expand anymore.
It's only because your not use to hearing it. Nemesis inferno sounds good, only cause I have heard it many times and you get use to it.
Burniel

That's true actually if you think about it, "Nemesis Inferno" doesn't really make sense.

Nemesis= "The inescapable agent of someone’s or something’s downfall"
Inferno= "A large fire that is dangerously out of control"

They're just two destruction/danger words put together to sound cool.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
stealthsmiler

As a whole, Alton Towers is better themed, with proper themed areas that you can tell you are leaving/entering. Thorpe Park, it all just blurs into one, except Swarm island. But as this is the first time I've properly thought about it, Tidal Wave, Saw, Nemmy Inferno and The Swarm are all really good themed. In my opinion, The Swarm is the best- The station is really good, the trains are themed (Which nemmys aren't), the queue line is well themed and integrated (it feels quicker to me with the constant change of environment and the news reports) and there's lots of good scenery and near misses. The shops and toilets match, overall it's really effective.

But Alton Towers has more well themed coasters, just not the best, unless you look at rides collectively. With Nemesis, I voted looking at the theming around the coaster itself, not Sub-Terra. If Sub Terra was part of the build up and queue line for Nemesis, Nemesis would win (I would have the story that the eggs attack so you evacuate, only you take a wrong exit and end up running down to the tied mother who has woken up to protect her babies, then you are attacked by her)
stealthsmiler

I suppose the inferno could be the inescapable agent of someone/somethings downfall, but its a really weak line. I personally think they should drop the Nemesis and have the ride called simply, Inferno.
awsomelycoolboy

^ that would be good! joining Sub-Terra up with Nemmy. When you escape you run into the mother Nemesis and you ride her XD
stealthsmiler

Thats what I have always thought since they announced NST. It would be an absolutely amazing experience, Plus seen as NST sends people through in batches I would have a skip option where those who skip Sub Terra are 'leaving the ride' on an elevator, thanking them for visiting, then disaster happens and the elevator emergency stops only, it stops on a staff floor, the floor to the restricted entrance to the Mother Nemesis. You have no choice but to continue onwards and risk the attack of the mother. The rest of Sub Terra could continue as normal and make it appear that guests have a viewing area of the mother Nemesis (who normally is restricted and sedated) which you have to escape through. Or my personal favourite, the buildings entered lock down and your trapped (you come face to face with a locked exit) then from behind you, an actor appears saying there is only one exit left, the staffs feeding entrance to the enclosure of the mother. It's the riders only hope to be able to reach safety.

This would make Nemesis have the best theme ever really, and The Swarm would be bumped to second place. (slightly off topic I know, but if it were to happen, that would be why Nemesis has the best theme)
awsomelycoolboy

I have no Idea how how Kooning the two rides to heather will bump up the theming, but I don't care, it's a freaking sweet idea. It would probes bump up the acting and the experience.
stealthsmiler

Well the theming would be the same, just on one ride, not two. It would deffo make the experience amazing.
awsomelycoolboy

Agreed.
Georgie

After a great visit last week, I really do think Thorpe deserves more credit than it gets, especially for theming. Sure, a LOT of it is the same-old "distaster" nonsense that blends together but the individual coasters have great themeing. It ranges from subtle, like Inferno and Colossus to the brilliantly OTT like Saw and Swarm. For me, it has to be the Swarm. The fact that a church, a symbol of sanctuary, is where the Swarm "attack" is an absolutely genius bit of storytelling and the music and SFX just adds to everything. Plus the near misses are amazing. It honestly might be my second favourite coaster out of the ones I've been on behind Nemesis although, granted, I have only been on the Merlin-owned UK ones.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
lf2001

Thorpe does have a lot of well-themed rides. Swarm being the best themed imo. I mean there's loads there like all the crashed vehicles, fire effects, and all the near misses on-ride. Thorpe do put some effort into theming, Alton don't really.
Garnetto

For me I just find Blivvy's theme amazing, albeit the screens could do with an update. The futuristic government theme makes you feel in a false sense of security, but I find the ride one of the worst/best on park
Happy 20th Birthday to Nemmy and 1st Birthday to The Smiler!
Credit to Lewis97 for my AWESOME signature!
Danny

I can't believe people are saying Thorpe put a lot of effort in to the ring and Alton don't! Look at Nemesis, Oblivion and more recently The Smiler! The marmaliser is a great example of a strong theme on a ride.
NickiFan

Alton Towers just win. Look at areas like Katanga Canyon, Forbidden valley..You see my point.

At Thorpe I didn't really feel the sense of escapism and its not really themed as most areas just look the same. The swarm island is a much better than the rest of the park but not good enough to make me think Thorpe Park is totally and utterly better than towers.

If Alton don't put effort into themeing then why do we have Nemesis.. That didn't happen over night.
stealthsmiler

Yes but it says best themed coaster, and The Swarm deffo is the best themed. As a whole Alton Towers is much better as the whole park has several, good, well themed areas, but The whole of Swarm island is the theme for one coaster, so it has to win. With the exception of The Smiler. Alton Towers pretty much stop their theming at the station. But they still have brilliant theming, I just think the earlier comment meant that the Swarm has more theme around the whole coaster, got real planes etc.

And Rita doesn't help Alton Towers for best theming really
SuperWill

I really think that Thorpe Park should add single rider queues. They did have one for Stealth and Flying Fish before but they have been removed since. Would you like to see Thorpe add single rider queues for The Swarm, Inferno, Colossus, SAW and re-add a single rider queue for Stealth? Discuss below!

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D
Mark-Cal

Swarm first, then Swarm second and finally in third place Swarm !
So yes, my vote goes to the pesky people stealing B&M robo-aliens.
I think as an older coaster enthusiast theming has become more important to me and to the parks themselves over the years it would seem.
It's no longer enough just to plonk a coaster down on a car park and give it a silly name most of the time.
On my first visit to Swarm last year I was really pleases with the effort that's gone into the whole area surrounding the ride and the near miss elements they've chosen really do make a great ride even better !
It was confirmed at the weekend when my daughter insisted we ride it backwards, and although it was still a good ride I didn't enjoy it as much because the theming plays a lesser part in the ride when you've already passed it by the time you see it.
Burniel

They should 100% do so. One I'd love to see it on is Depth Charge, but that is unfortunately not practical :(
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.