Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
obliviongirl

Ilovecoasters wrote:
obliviongirl wrote: I think this can only have been within the last few hours, as I was on the website earlier today (about half past one), and I would have noticed if the name had changed while I was on there, unless I'm just very unobservant, of course.  :lol: It certainly has to do with the new on-site hotel launching in April, but still, after all these years of just being 'Thorpe Park', it sounds strange to now add the 'resort' part onto the end!
I checked it over the weekend and it said "Thorpe park resort"
Oh, ok then. I must be just as unobservant as I thought, aha.
Danny

About two weeks ago the changed their twitter name
Burniel

Surely it's either a park or a resort? "Thorpe Park Resort" just sounds weird
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
obliviongirl

In theory, that would be a great idea, although I have to agree with Dan in that there simply wouldn't be the space, as far as I can see. Depth Charge takes up very limited room, as it is literally just some slides with some steps leading up to it, whereas those suggestions seem like they would be quite a major water attraction which would require much more room.
obliviongirl

Ilovecoasters wrote: Surely it's either a park or a resort? "Thorpe Park Resort" just sounds weird
I agree. It's not as though it's 'Alton Towers Park Resort' or 'Chessington World of Adventures Park Resort' (although the Chessington one is long-winded enough as it is), so Thorpe Park Resort doesn't really make much sense to me. I guess that so many people know the place it as Thorpe Park already, changing the name would be kind of inconvenient, or at least, that's the only explanation I can come up with.
BenBowser

obliviongirl wrote:
Ilovecoasters wrote: Surely it's either a park or a resort? "Thorpe Park Resort" just sounds weird
'Chessington World of Adventures Park Resort' (although the Chessington one is long-winded enough as it is)
No as bad as when it was Chessington World of Adventures and Zoo. Now that was long-winded! :P
Dom

There would be room if you also took out those pools that every time I've ever been have been empty and closed.
Last edited by Dom on Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BenBowser

Pizzazz wrote: there would be room if you also took out those pools that every time ive ever been have been empty and closed.
Neptune's Beach is only open in the summer on warm days. So yeah, as we're British, that's about three days a year.
Last edited by BenBowser on Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel

No, you can't get rid of Neptune's beach, try going in mid summer and seeing all the toddlers laughing in there, trust me you opinion changes
Dom

Ilovecoasters wrote: No, you can't get rid of Neptune's beach, try going in mid summer and seeing all the toddlers laughing in there, trust me you opinion changes
But in my opinion it also seems slightly weird having a toddler beach at somewhere where they call it the nations thrill capital. to me it just seems weird and out of place
Burniel

Big thrills:
The swarm
Saw
Stealth
Colossus
Nemesis Inferno
Samurai
Slammer
Vortex
Rush
Zodiac

Family rides:
Loggers leap
Tidal Wave
Storm Surge
Depth Charge
Rumba Rapids
X
Quantum
Teacups
Flying Fish

Little rides:
Banana Boat
Neptunes beach
Wet wet wet
Carousel

There's plenty for all at thorpe lets keep it that way
Dom

I'm sorry ilc but thats not right. On the Thorpe website there is nothing on there that says those rides are for young ones or kiddies. They just say thrilling and fun. If you want to carry this discussion on pm me.

Back on topic. I think Depth Charge and Neptune's Beach should go as for the previous reasons said
Last edited by Dom on Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel

I never said it listed that on the website, I'm just essentially summing up Thorpe's rides in what I feel is a very accurate list.
Burniel

BenBowser wrote:
obliviongirl wrote:
'Chessington World of Adventures Park Resort' (although the Chessington one is long-winded enough as it is)
No as bad as when it was Chessington World of Adventures and Zoo. Now that was long-winded! :P
Chessington World of adventures and zoo park resort entertainments tbh
SamTP

Themeing is supposed to be good for the land so hopefully they will up the themeing for all the future rides
Wildboy

I don't mean to sound like a troll but I'm glad I'm going to California this summer to get my rollercoaster fix because every year I give Thorpe a second chance I come away disappointed. There are so many other parks in the world worth going to which are so much better than Thorpe. I won't be returning until something significant changes. Thorpe is my closest park and even as a rollercoaster and theme park fan, it's only worth visiting every two or three years. Where is the sense of magic and wonder? the smells of cinnamon in the streets and music that makes you want to hop and skip? Where are the flowers and grass and trees? Why do I walk around and feel like I'm always in Chertsey? Honestly Thorpe park makes me think of an old communist state run peoples park.
Last edited by Wildboy on Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoying Rollercoasters as part of a healthy balanced diet since 1983
jon18uk

I think Thorpe Park felt very similar to Six Flags Magic Mountain, lots of thrill rides and some water rides. Nothing heavily themed or immersive, no major indoor attractions.

Whereas Disney & Universal parks are completely different parks, a lot more theming on every area and attraction but not as much emphasis on highest, fastest, tallest or scariest.

So depends what kind of thing you are looking for, high themed immersive attractions (Disney, Universal) or big thrills (Six Flags, Knott's, Thorpe Park).
BenBowser

I think it's safe to say that Thorpe is in no way magical, although it is good in its own right. Towers and Chessington are the Disney and Universal of the UK. Both are actually very well themed and highly immersive. Something Thorpe will possibly never be able to do.
Last edited by BenBowser on Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

I don't think thorpe or chessy feels magical
Burniel

Alton Towers=Magical
Chessington=Adventure
Thorpe Park=Thrill/Teenagers vibe