Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
SwEDEN

Vladimir Bobinski wrote: Especially with the 80MPH gusts predicted later this evening....... :shock:
Doubt Stealth will be operating tonight! Would be very concerned if it was to do so!! O.O
Burniel

Stealth in 80MPH winds ... :lol:
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Jamie

Well, Samurai and Slammer were down all day, and Loggers broke down at around 3/4pm (and I don't think it re-opened).
I think that Stealth stayed open, although I didn't get a chance to ride it.  Wind wasn't that bad really.

The park was packed though - avoid Fright Nights in school holidays!
"ENTER VALHALLA!"
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Thorpe Park will open at midday today

Edit: Thorpe Park is now open as of 11am
Last edited by lewis97 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
obliviongirl

Overall, like many, I much prefer Nemesis. It's a lot more intense, which I enjoy in a coaster, and, to be honest, it is the classic. I find the loop on Nemesis a lot rougher, but in a good way, if that makes sense. Inferno is great too, but I just don't get the same thrill from it as I do Nemesis.
badlydrawnkel

Jamie wrote: Well, Samurai and Slammer were down all day, and Loggers broke down at around 3/4pm (and I don't think it re-opened).
I think that Stealth stayed open, although I didn't get a chance to ride it.  Wind wasn't that bad really.

The park wasn't that bad
Yesterday...have seen it alot worse in other years.

Kelbel - Feedback Forum \'10
Jamie

badlydrawnkel wrote:
Jamie wrote: Well, Samurai and Slammer were down all day, and Loggers broke down at around 3/4pm (and I don't think it re-opened).

The park wasn't that bad
Yesterday...have seen it alot worse in other years.
So have I, but yesterday was still bad.
My Bloody Valentine peaked at 140 minutes!
"ENTER VALHALLA!"
Themeparksandy1981

Do you have to pay for any of Thorpe Park's mazes?
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luce

No, they are all free :)
obliviongirl

I visited yesterday and Samurai and Slammer were still closed (shame as I was planning riding Samurai as I haven't before). Loggers Leap closed around midday (my friend and I were just getting into our log for our ride when we were told to get out due to technical difficulties, which was annoying) and didn't open again. It started raining very lightly when I was about to get on Stealth, at about quarter past four, and Colossus and Nemesis Inferno were closed from then until I left (which was about quarter past five), which was strange, because the rain was extremely light, and stopped after about five minutes. However, Saw, Stealth and Swarm continued to operate as usual, as with the rest of the rides. So basically, the rides that closed today were Colossus, Nemesis Inferno, Loggers Leap, and of course, Samurai and Slammer.
Mark.aa

The first part as you enter the smoke filled tunnel.
Went to Thorpe during fright nights and the thick smoke and lights in the dark were prefect. You couldn't see the tunnel walls for the green fog.
Last edited by Mark.aa on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
obliviongirl

I like the tunnel at the beginning the best, too, with the smoke/mist and darkness, it sets a great tone for the ride. However, I also love the loop, but I always love loops, aha.
RollercoasterGEEK100

I have to admit though, Nemesis Inferno's loop feels a lot more stomach punching than Nemesis'
Last edited by RollercoasterGEEK100 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Credit to NemesisRider
Senator

Does anyone know the 2014 season timetable? I'm planning to visit next year and I would like to know the dates (e.g. Opening) Also, what are the queues like on Openin' Day?

Thanks NickiFan
bensaund

RollercoasterGEEK100 wrote: I think Thorpe Parks next 10 years looks so promising!
I'd say yes and no to this one.

When you look back it was only in the early 00's that we saw rapid expansion/change at Thorpe, Tussards were installing very large rides to significantly change the park into what it was today. For example:

2000 Tidal Wave
2000 Zodiac
2001 Detinator
2001 Vortex
2002 Colossus
2003 Nemesis Inferno
2003 Quantum
2004 Samurai
2005 Rush
2005 Slammer
2006 Stealth

With the massive number of new attractions being installed, they sell themself, people look at the new rides and want to go. Now with Merlins high/medium/low investment years, we are likely to only see a major new ride every 3ish years and maybe a flat every 3 ish years with a touch up of paint on the low investment years.

Add to the fact that Thorpe seem very keen to add a full blow hotel, you can bet your bottom dollar that one of the large investment years sometime in the next decade will be a full hotel.

There is no doubt that Thorpe will continue to expand, but they can only really install two more major coasters before they have to start ripping out what they already have. A major positive for Thorpe is the number of potential      locations for future flat rides and the not so strict local planning permission situation.

What will we see at Thorpe in the next 10 years?
-Hotel
-1 Major coaster
-1 or 2 new flats
-a 100-150ft sky swing

Merlin will expand the park and we will see it grow, but it will be done at a much more slower rate than we saw in the early 00's.
If you go down to the woods today
Burniel

^I agree with all of this, but I'm pretty sure Detonator was July 2000?

Now we hit a brick wall. As said above, they only have space for 2 more coasters before they start ripping them out. This is an issue because for the next coaster, many people want a woodie or family. Now, if Thorpe are clever (and I hate to say this) they won't build a woodie or family. Why? Because it will be first on the list and would be a waste of money for the amount of time it would stand. And it really pains me to say that.

Back on topic. I believe that next year may be a "lick of paint year". Which I think should be spent on either:

Lost city
Amity Cove
Canada Creek
Last edited by Burniel on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bensaund

Lick of pain on Colossus or has everyone given up hope on that and now think rust is the new colour? :-)
If you go down to the woods today
Burniel

bensaund wrote: Lick of pain on Colossus or has everyone given up hope on that and now think rust is the new colour? :-)
Colossus=lost city, so yeah I'm still trying for it!
Dara

Ilovecoasters wrote: ^I agree with all of this, but I'm pretty sure Detonator was July 2000?
Detonator opened at the start of the 2001 season. It was advertised as a package of 3 new rides- Zodiac, Detonator and Vortex, which was kind of a cheat since Zodiac opened in summer 2000 (after the fire destroyed WWH and Tropical travels), Vortex was delivered late and didn't open until about June and it was actually only Detonator which opened for the start of the 2001 season. They were even on Watchdog's "Had by the Ad" section following mass complaints.
sw7nutter

Having just asked if there are any new rides coming i got a rather limited response:

@THORPEPARK As this season comes to a close is there any new rides which we can look forward to next season.

@Showingthatgame you'll have to wait and see

Going by planning permission i would say that there is nothing new coming but their response does imply that there will be something new.
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.