Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
coastermaster

its like marmite you love it or your hate it
RyanY

coastermaster wrote: its like marmite you love it or your hate it
It's not, there are many people who thinks it's just 'meh' (me included) But that doesn't mean people either love it or hate it. It's a fun ride but does nothing for me. It's the definition of average in my opinion.
Bear

Islander wrote:
I mean, for people to say that Inferno is "bitterly despised" is just laughable, to be honest.
Mark, you need to be far less passive aggressive if you disagree with what someone says (for everyone else, that was my quote).

I was taking the mick about some people (not specific) being particularly passionate about their dislike of Inferno, namely myself, for comic effect. At the end of the day, it's a roller coaster, I'm not going to get worked up if I don't like it no matter much I might not like it.
RollercoasterGEEK100

Nemesis inferno does make me dizzy for 20mins... :roll:

Credit to NemesisRider
Blaze

On the poll, can I choose all of the above? :lol:
James

I've added an 'other' option to the poll, for those who might have different reasons. :)

I've never been to Thorpe so cannot say much although I think using the Nemesis brand on Inferno was a bad decision in the first place. That in itself leaves guests with a certain expectation, for those who have visited Alton they will immediately judge Inferno's thrills and intensity. If that doesn't hit the mark then it leaves some guests not finding it thrilling enough.

It looks like an all round good coaster judging from what I've seen on the internet. I hope one day to brave chav Thorpe Park and give Inferno a go. However I would ride it without viewing it as a part of the Nemesis brand, I would treat it as something fresh and new. 
RollercoasterGEEK100

James wrote: I've added an 'other' option to the poll, for those who might have different reasons. :)

I've never been to Thorpe so cannot say much although I think using the Nemesis brand on Inferno was a bad decision in the first place. That in itself leaves guests with a certain expectation, for those who have visited Alton they will immediately judge Inferno's thrills and intensity. If that doesn't hit the mark then it leaves some guests not finding it thrilling enough.

It looks like an all round good coaster judging from what I've seen on the internet. I hope one day to brave chav Thorpe Park and give Inferno a go. However I would ride it without viewing it as a part of the Nemesis brand, I would treat it as something fresh and new.
I actually do that. I pretend its not part of the NEMESISIAN brand and make out its called Inferno... But they should keep the theme music. Ok, and thanks for the other poll question.

Credit to NemesisRider
Islander

Bear wrote:
Islander wrote:
I mean, for people to say that Inferno is "bitterly despised" is just laughable, to be honest.
Mark, you need to be far less passive aggressive if you disagree with what someone says (for everyone else, that was my quote).
For what it's worth, I didn't know it was your quote, I just saw it as I was skim-reading and it stuck in my head. Which kinda teaches me not to comment on something I skim read, but at the same time it's OTT to call me passive-aggressive.

My point still stands, though, even if you replace "bitterly despised" with "hate" or whatever. I honestly don't see what there is to hate about the ride - it's a perfectly good ride, in my opinion, even if there are others that are better.
Bunbury

It's not as good as Nemesis, but it's perfectly alright. I think this is the accepted wisdom. Accept the wisdom, heathens.
.Will

Dar wrote: I think "bitterly despised" may be slightly hyperbolic, however that's not to say that I like the ride. It's a formula ride, designed by maths, and for that reason I really DO hate it.

From my non-fruit based phone.
Aren't they all designed by maths?

I think a real problem with Inferno is that it feels like they have cut sections out from various coasters and stuck them all together to try to make a new ride when really the only unique part of the ride is the initial drop and tunnel section, but really isn't that a common feature of most Inverts?

It's a mixture of things, I think the only real dislike or "hatred" as people put it towards the ride is from people of a similar ilk i.e. enthusiasts.

Also can we have an option on the poll along the lines of "I like the ride" or "I don't think there is anything bad about Inferno" etc.
James6

Just wanted to add, I've always been someone who's thought of Inferno as distinctly average, but today, down to the heat or something, it was the fastest and most forceful I've ever seen. Made for a brilliant ride.
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
Dar

.Will wrote:
Dar wrote: I think "bitterly despised" may be slightly hyperbolic, however that's not to say that I like the ride. It's a formula ride, designed by maths, and for that reason I really DO hate it.

From my non-fruit based phone.
Aren't they all designed by maths?
Yeah, I didn't really explain myself properly! :P

I mean that it seems to provide a rather exact amount of force at a rather exact point. For example, the loop provides force at the entry, peak and exit, but not much else around it. By contrast, Colossus' loop increases in force as you go round to a peak then decreases as you exit.
RollercoasterGEEK100

James6 wrote: Just wanted to add, I've always been someone who's thought of Inferno as distinctly average, but today, down to the heat or something, it was the fastest and most forceful I've ever seen. Made for a brilliant ride.
It was really fast when i went, i took a speed o'metre on there and it reacher 51mph.

Credit to NemesisRider
Bear

RollercoasterGEEK100 wrote:
James6 wrote: Just wanted to add, I've always been someone who's thought of Inferno as distinctly average, but today, down to the heat or something, it was the fastest and most forceful I've ever seen. Made for a brilliant ride.
It was really fast when i went, i took a speed o'metre on there and it reacher 51mph.
Sorry, but I refuse to believe the ride gained over 3mph just due to the heat. Have you a source for this?
onair

The Swarms LEDS will look cool in the dark, they are even on the side.

All we need now is some fire  :twisted:
SwEDEN

When was that picture taken, and are the LED's working full time now?
Sazzle

OHOHOHHH!!! I was wondering when they'd get those sorted :) Russell and I had a really good gawp at them on the two days we were there over opening, as there seemed to be an absolute abundance of them all over the train.

Fright Nights will make for some excellent long-exposure photography :D! Those LEDs really are the crown for such stunning trains.
Alex.D

I agree,also they have set up the fire.-->
:D
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97
James6

The trains did look awesome with them on yesterday. They seem to have a sort of flashing "pattern" as well which will look cool. Although with the sunny weather yesterday, they didn't show up in the pictures.
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
onair

I think that video of the fire was when it was testing. I visited 3 days in a row recently and there was no fire. The bang is there for the fire in the track tho you can hear when it will explode.

Yes the Leds do look good, they will look cool at fright night's.
Last edited by onair on Thu May 31, 2012 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.