Thorpe Park Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
zs chris

Being one of the biggest GOW fans, I would love to see that happen, but i'm going to crush this rumor right now because Gears of War is set far into the future on an alien world called Serra - where they have space ships and thruster powered hovering aircraft (not crashed 747's and Puma helicopters :P)

However - they could take note of the games amazing orchestral soundtrack and use it for the ride :D

[url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;] ... re=related[/url]
[url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;] ... re=related[/url]
CoasterCrazyChris

Not another IP! :x The last think we need is a ride based on as video game.

People make out as if before SAW, Thorpe couldn't theme or landscape rides properly...um, what about Colossus, Nemesis Inferno and Tidal Wave then? :?

:)
Pennywise

Shall we wait until the IP is either confirmed or denied by the park before slagging it off? I think it to be highly unlikely that we will be seeing a Gears of War themed coaster, and this is merely a case of Thorpe's marketing team being stupidly lazy.

Obviously, there is a CHANCE that this will be themed around said IP, as there is any other... I just think that any discussion surrounding such a possibility is more wasted time than anything, unless we receive confirmation.

:)
Adam

Right, looking at this from a legal point of view it's highly unlikely we will be getting any connection with Gears of War.

If there was an genuine connection, there would be a Copyright mention to Epic games in the video as they own the trademark of the logo.

Also, Thorpe wouldn't be able to use the logo without a visible ® next to it.

So it's probably just someone working for Thorpe Marketing that's a bit of a gamer who likes the gears logo, used the font and hoped nobody would notice... :)

But I guess we will find out in a few days! :)
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Thorpefandan

I hope that Thorpe are just giving us a tease. They know we're mainly averted to another IP, so thought just using the word WAR from gears of war would lead us all to think it's GOW themed.
It\'s Big Bob, it\'s Big Bob, it\'s Big Bobs radio show.

ReZourceman

@ Adam - its not the logo though, its just a portion of it in the same/similar font. I don't think there would be any problems at all with copyright and such - after all it is just a teaser trailer. You don't see copyright information on standard game teasers blah blah.

It seems a bit too coincidental to not be GOW IMHO, TBH, LOL WTFBBQ TBF GBH PTP UN.

I also don't see why they'd be so...hmmm...suggestive with the ending of the trailer. It is the kind of thing that is hinting/being intentional "Prepare for war" as if that last bit holds weight.

Basically, right now I'm absolutely convinced, but have never wanted to be wrong more in my life.
Adam

[quote=""ReZourceman""]@ Adam - its not the logo though, its just a portion of it in the same/similar font. I don't think there would be any problems at all with copyright and such - after all it is just a teaser trailer. You don't see copyright information on standard game teasers blah blah.[/quote]

But those kind of adverts are usually made by the people who make the games. Thorpe would need to request permission to use the brand and logo in a video.

But yeah, I dunno... :lol:
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
ReZourceman

[quote="".Adam""][quote=""ReZourceman""]@ Adam - its not the logo though, its just a portion of it in the same/similar font. I don't think there would be any problems at all with copyright and such - after all it is just a teaser trailer. You don't see copyright information on standard game teasers blah blah.[/quote]

But those kind of adverts are usually made by the people who make the games. Thorpe would need to request permission to use the brand and logo in a video.[/quote]
I don't think they'd (EPIC Games) have a problem with it if they're building a coaster for them! :p

---------

A cool fan video I "found"

[url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;][/url]
Nightfall

As has already been pointed out this won't be Gears of War themed because none of the themed structures in the planning application or video have any connection to GoW. With Saw the theme that is there now is the same as in the planning application but with Saw logos added. You couldn't get away with that on with what we’ve seen of LC12.

Also the Logo is not quite the same. The dirt markings are different and the font is sharper round the corners. Similar but not the same, it’s just different enough to prove they didn’t copy paste the logo.

Also (slightly off topic) Islander said the 2015 coaster is codenamed LC15, but has this actually been confirmed? I've never seen anything official calling it so and it was me that suggested LC could mean Lake Construction; so far there's been no evidence to back this up.
[align=center]Image[/align]
RustyRider

I thought LC was Thorpes SW? I also presumed it stood for large coaster with the year after it?

I for one can't wait and I hopefully will be there on opening day! Only one day to go aswell till the 'end' ! :D :mrgreen: :D
Ladies and Gentlemen, our first SuperHero TTFer :D - Magrathea.
Chaz

[quote=""RustyRider""]I thought LC was Thorpes SW? I also presumed it stood for large coaster with the year after it?
:D[/quote]

Well, Thorpe Park have always used 'Project' in the past. Examples: X: NWO (Project X), Colossus (Project Odyssey), N:I (Project Calypso) and SAW (Project Dylan).

All 'Project' names have had some relevance to the coaster themes. Apart from SAW, which was named after a cat to confuse people. That worked, so maybe LC is there to confuse and cause speculation too.

I still stand by it meaning Last Call, as in the human race needs to leave now and the ride is the last call. But hey, I'm sure we'll know soon enough.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
ReZourceman

[quote=""Nightfall""]As has already been pointed out this won't be Gears of War themed because none of the themed structures in the planning application or video have any connection to GoW.[/quote]

Gothic buildings? A war struck environment? Ever played GOW? Image

Slappy McGuire

I suspect we are simply talking about the wrong gaming franchise. If this doesn't prove to be Modern warfare I'll...(*struggles to think of suitable self-harm*)...I'll...ride Submission!
Nightfall

[quote=""ReZourceman""][quote=""Nightfall""]As has already been pointed out this won't be Gears of War themed because none of the themed structures in the planning application or video have any connection to GoW.[/quote]
Gothic buildings? A war struck environment? Ever played GOW? Image
[/quote] Yes and I never remember seeing a crashed 747. and compared to the GOW helicopter the one on the planning application is puny :P GOW has Masculine, Manly vehicles :wink:

The buildings might look similar but most post war films have ruined churches, it’s iconic.

The only way I can see this being GOW based is if it’s an origin story. Locust: First Strike. That way they could use the raptor trains and claim it’s the first attack of the Locust before all the beefed up vehicles.

But I think I’m giving Thorpe Park to much credit. If they did do that it suggests they will be doing something original with such a popular IP, which I doubt.
[align=center]Image[/align]
ReZourceman

Oh I totally agree on both the origin thing (It'd be some kind of Earth's fall story or whatever, like you say) and also that we are giving Thorpe too much credit. We have been spurred on by the plans though - its not our fault. :p

I really really really hope its an original theme, but I can't get myself passed the "WAR" + font + red circle/potential cog. I'm wishing the hours away till tomorrow now. Despite it being the weekend.
RustyRider

Thanks for clearing that up chaz.

So, this is the first time I've followed a coasters construction, from concept to opening, what will be happening tomorrow, im intrigued to say the least. :mrgreen:
Ladies and Gentlemen, our first SuperHero TTFer :D - Magrathea.
longy0151

LC12 is called the swarm
KoscheiThePianist

The countdown is over! LC12.net has been replaced by theswarm.co.uk : http://www.theswarm.co.uk/

fredward

Yes its the swarm, seems like its story is an alien vs human war, your the alien by the sounds of it "dodging misslies" around urban devestation. Sounds really good actually!
ponder

The Swarm it is! Looks as though they're taking a similar route with Gardaland's Raptor, but with a post-apocalyptic backdrop.

---- Post Info Added ----

[quote=""fredward""]Yes its the swarm, seems like its story is an alien vs human war, your the alien by the sounds of it "dodging misslies" around urban devestation. Sounds really good actually![/quote]

How did you come up with that?

The official line is:
Be picked up and dragged on the wings of The Swarm as you’re left exposed and vulnerable to the extreme near misses and gut wrenching inversions as it rips through the sky on its
mission of complete annihilation.

Which would suggest a Raptor style storyline of being picked up an flung around by the beast.

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps