Favourite Dungeon in the UK and why?

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.

Which is your favourite Dungeon Attraction in the UK?

London Dungeon
44%
York Dungeon
16%
Edinburgh Dungeon
11%
Blackpool Tower Dungeon
11%
Warwick Castle Dungeon
18%

Total votes: 45
Miles Hi

Hello from Spain!!

This september we are going on a trip from Edinburgh to Birgminham and would like to know what are the best dungeons comparing the ones in Edinburgh, York, Blackpool and Warwick Castle.
I think that seeing one is enough, but I would like to see the best if posible.

Thanks a lot
jackgcse

I have done London and Blackpool and Blackpool is far superior because it is more modern and less of a pick and mix of scenes!
Miles Hi

Thanks jackgcse!!

Hopefully somebody else that has been in any of the other dungeons can help me choose.
Another thing is the time, almost for sure we´re going to have more free time at Warwick castle, where we´ve got the whole day planned for.

Anyway, the most important thing is to see the best ones.
Luce

I've done London and York and although York is smaller, it's a really good attraction with some great actors and some different scenes that made it stand out.
Pennywise

Having done York and Warwick, the former is definitely the superior dungeon. However, Warwick Castle warrants a visit in itself, and so I find it to be more recommendable if it comes down to it. Especially considering the convenience, and Warwick Castle being unable to fill a day without it.

Sadly I'm yet to do Edinburgh or Blackpool so can't offer an opinion on them. Sorry.
W@LLI$

I have done all the dungeons apart from the new blackpool one! The best and scariest one in my mind is the Edinburgh. I find it much darker than the other dungeons!
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE
[url=http://"http://ridesims.com/users/4791-cawallis123/"]Image[/url]
nickhutson

I think it depends what you're after. 

Nostalgia and size - London
Location - Warwick
Technology - Blackpool
Scares - Edinburgh and Warwick (so I've heard)  Though I've heard Hamburg (?) has a fun Asylum scene!

I think though that when London re-opens in County Hall - that will become the flagship attraction!
Nick Hutson
Presenter - The Season Pass Podcast and Nick\'s Season Pass ERT
http://www.theseasonpasspodcast.com
Producer and Co-Presenter - MusicalTalk - The UK\'s Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
daveclarkedaveclarke

I've done blackpool and york and blackpool is the better one, probly with it being the newer one. Extremis is great there too!
sweedish2009

I'm off for a weekend away to York in October. In all honesty, is it worth a visit to the dungeons?

I've only ever done the London version, which me and my other half massively enjoyed! Just wanted to find out a bit more about York Dungeons.

Do they have any rides?
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low
Tom G

For atmosphere, Warwick Castle. The carridors, staircases and everything feel very authentic, dark and claustrophobic. Some scenes are executed cheaply though (notably the final one!).

The the scenes, excitement, quality and variety - London by far.
W@LLI$

I love The Dungeon attractions. I've been to the London one and the Edinburgh. I personally thought that Edinburgh was far better than the recent London one.

What do you guys think is the best one in the UK?

Discuss away!
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE
[url=http://"http://ridesims.com/users/4791-cawallis123/"]Image[/url]
Kirsty25

I've only done the old York Dungeon, not done since the refurbishment after the flooding and the London Dungeons and London was far better than York, but I am due a revisit to York sometime soon!
lucy2244

Must admit that the only dungeons I have done are the warwick castle ones.
I get scared at anything- even nemesis sub terra makes me run around like a headless chicken  :roll: But I thought these dungeons were very well themed and the actors were very good! It was also very funny and on a side note, educational too! the last room is by far the scariest and I was terrified! It was a good laugh though and topped off a good day at Warwick! It definitely gives the castle more appealing and I think it's worth paying to go in- it saves you going to dungeons elsewhere and you can do the dungeons and have a good day out too :)
I will be doing some of the other dungeons throughout the year, and yes they probably will beat Warwick. But as they're a stand alone attraction that's only to be expected :P
Ronnopm94

Which dungeon do you think is the best? Based on scenery, shows (each dungeon has at least two 'local' shows), acting and general atmosphere. I feel that the Dungeons now feel manufactured, for example Blackpool has some detailed theming, but it doesn't have the authentic feel of some of the other installations, and from what I've heard, London has lost a lot of the atmosphere that made it great, with rides trying too hard to be thrill rides rather than historical experiences. Additionally, the new plague surgery scenes creeping in to the new Dungeons I hate. Those sit down chairs are awful. I remember the stand up Plague scene in York that felt more intimate and authentic. What do you think?
Last edited by Ronnopm94 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

I've only been to London so my vote goes there :)
ThrillJunkie

So far I've visited Warwick, Blackpool and York Dungeons.

So far I'd say York was the best.

Hopefully I'll get to visit them all this year :-)
ThrillJunkieUK
Tom G

The old London Dungeon was the best, but the new one feels too new and artificial in comparison. It has to go to Warwick. Although it's probably the lowest budget and poor in finale, it feels the most authentic and atmospheric because of its setting. The tight corridors, low ceilings and spiral staircases within an original castle cannot be beaten.
Ronnopm94

I've yet too experience both. I loved the original dungeon but the new and manufactured feel is off putting. I remember the use of old exhibits and mannequins in between scenes that really gave it an atmosphere. And the new marketing and website? Please... Since when did the Dungeons use the word 'LOL'? Stop trying to be funny! Same with Blackpool. A few times I noticed walls with black paint... And I imagine Warwick is a basic but nice little addition to the existing castle. I don't think even Merlin see it as a 'proper dungeon'
Last edited by Ronnopm94 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronnopm94

I have to say that on repeat visit, the Blackpool Tower dungeon leaves a better impression. The main issue is the bare black ceilings that contrast sharply with the detailed theming on the walls, as well as the bare corridors between scenes, especially between Plague and torture, Torture and Court and Court and Labyrinth. Still needs a better show in Pendle Witches but otherwise it's great. The Skippool Smugglers is my favourite part by far. So funny and sooo scary even when you know what's coming. Great time.
Ladyofthelake

I went through the Warwick Castle Dungeon for the first time today and I have to say I was very underwhelmed and disappointed with the experience.

With it being set within the Castle, I was expecting it to make full use of the rich and varied history that Warwick Castle is famous for. However, a lot of the storyline was generic and there were only three references to the Castle's history - one of which was completely incorrect (which is inexcusable) and another twisted to make it suitable for the dungeon (although I will allow that on occasion any attraction of this type will use a certain degree of dramatic licence.) The attraction seemed to lack a certain atmosphere, this may be because I live in the local area and know the Castle extremely well, although even taking this into account there was still something missing, just what that is though I couldn't quite put my finger on. I just felt that so much more could have been made of each scene if just a tiny bit more thought had gone into the script and the potential to link it to the history of the Castle.

Fortunately I have a Premium Annual Pass, therefore I didn't have to pay extra to go into the Dungeon. Had I had to pay the £9 additional charge though, I would have considered it poor value for money.

I've yet to experience any of the other Dungeons Merlin own, so can't really make any comparisons. It will be interesting to see when I do get a chance to visit another Dungeon just how many of the scenes are similar to what I saw in Warwick.