Fun City Brean

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Anonymous

Just got back from a short trip to Weston-Super-Mud and was quite excited about going to Brean Leisure Park (www.brean.com)

I left the trip till the last day, and I think the word DUMP sums it up in one, not to mention the scummy pregnant chavs and jobless scrots milling around.

Now I know its not a theme park, and its basically a semi-permanent travelling fair, but I did feel rather unsafe on certain rides (I am normally ok on the fair, the travelling rides don't bother me)

The looping coaster, sounded like it was about to fall to pieces.

The dodgems go about 2 miles per hour if that.

The log flume, even though I thought it was ok , the wife thought it was unstable, May have been I didn't notice.

The only good thing I managed to see there was the Miami ride (X Factory) with the added water jets and the familiar "DONT LOOK DOWN" Jingle

Apart from that, I was disgusted by the place, I have already mentioned the people, and the place was dirty and full of tramps.

Word of advice, don't Bother unless your desperate!!!!!
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barryzola

[quote=""markryn""]
Apart from that, I was disgusted by the place, I have already mentioned the people, and the place was dirty and full of tramps.
[/quote]

:D Made me giggle.
AstroDan

Give this place 5 years and I reckon it'll go under like a lot of other seaside funfairs, to be honest. I went a few years ago and it wasn't the best.

Shame for the West Country and the South West of England is that there isn't a decent theme park/fair anywhere!
Wes

Yeh, I went there a few years ago. Camped right next to it.

Not the nicest of places.
Crofty

last time I went to Brean was about 12 years ago :shock: It wasn't the best then and they had none of the bigger type rides that they have now.
I remember they had the dodgems, ski jump, sizzler and a very special wild mouse coaster and the kiddies cocktails in The Farmers Tavern? Were great!
The wild mouse coaster was amazing because it was built by a coaster enthusiast. The guy had bought the track from a retired ride and designed his own layout. it did look home made but it was a great ride and I remember going on it everyday and hanging around this guy like I was his biggest fan :oops: :lol:
There was a documentary about his coaster on the BBC around the same time. Sadly I think its been replaced with a modern built mouse coaster, a real shame.

Just scoured google - the guy is called David Pickingstone and the documentary was This anyone know of anyway of seeing the program?

:D :D
LiamC

A portrait of the British Society of Roller Coaster Enthusiasts, including the story of David Pickstone who gave up his job to restore a 50-year-old rollercoaster, which fell down, had its wheels stolen, and left him living in semi-poverty.
:lol: :lol:
Crofty

[quote=""LiamC""]
A portrait of the British Society of Roller Coaster Enthusiasts, including the story of David Pickstone who gave up his job to restore a 50-year-old rollercoaster, which fell down, had its wheels stolen, and left him living in semi-poverty.
:lol: :lol:[/quote]

Yeah, problem? :lol:

It's near Bristol remember, they are used to that sort of thing :P the program pulls all the heartstings though, it's just like Titanic but in the coaster world! :lol:
sickparrot

I went there earlier this year (well pontins next door) and you're spot on. This and the chav market attached to it go together perfectly.

If you total up the number of tokens you need to take a family on the wild mouse, say, it costs an arm and a leg. I refuse to pay it. And I won't buy the wrisbands because there isn't enought there.

We let little'un go an a few kiddie rides on her own but that was it.

Won't go near the food either

Cheers! Ady
Out on Blue Six...
It\'s Chips and Jackets, Peas and Trousers
Chris1

The place has always been pretty crap...

There were rumours of the Beast moving there which may have improved the parks dismal image a bit, but not much...

As AstroDan says, it'll probably just be history in 5 years or so...
Chris-TT

Used to be involved with it a bit, as my company owned the laser quest there when it was first built.
Visited this year and the park was looking a bit shabby, best thing about it is the ghost train.
Chris1

best thing about it is the ghost train.
Wasn't that imported from America or claimed something like that?...

Your right though, it is probably the best attraction in the park...
HighExtreme

Wasn't that imported from America or claimed something like that?
The Terror Castle ride system came from Frontierland in Moorecambe

In 2004 it was refitted with new props and scenes from Hollywood
Sarah_RKO

I went there a few months ago and I didn't feel that safe on the loop coaster either. The restraints didn't feel 'safe' and getting to the loop, was scary.

I liked 'Wipe Out' though, but after 9 re rides in one go, the op told me to go on other rides.. there were no other people queuing for it, I don't see what the problem was!
Jerichoholic..-- RAW..is...Jericho!
beskins123

Xtreme breaks down and the riders are stranded for an hour.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -hour.html
the mum most of gone in the ride area to tell the ride ops personally i think looking at the harness it wasn't pushed down enough
Last edited by beskins123 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
danny tranny
Matt.C

It didn't break down though, a mum told them to stop the ride cause she though the harness of her girls weren't secured, when they were :| Silly lady.
Craig

I've edited the topic title to be more suitable.

Beskins - its great you're trying to advise people of what's going on in the amusement industry but please include a few of your own opinions etc when posting links. It really helps to start off discussion :D
Joe Koopa

I went on the ride only three days later. Was awesome. The only thing ewas it was only me and my friend and the car was un-even so it tipped. :evil:
Anonymous

What a load of Twoddle! I despise things like this. More negative press which is unfound towards the amusment industry.

Just look at some of these laughable comments posted on the Daily Mail site:-
Young lady on right does not seem secured to me! The harness is not positioned at same level as girl next to her
Good job there wasn't actually a problem with the harness! Did the operator not think to stop the ride at a point where their entire bodyweight WASN'T rested on the supposedly faulty harness?
Obviously these people have never heard of hydraluics and/or understand how they work.

What a complete waste of Firefighters time/tax payers money and my time for having to comment on yet another farce reagarding fairs.
ThrillJunkie

Shame to hear bad publicity for such a good park.

I don't understand why the ride couldn't be restarted though. Once the E-Stop is activated it should be a simple case of checking for danger and resetting systems to resume ride. There should not be a need to rescue the riders with ladders.

The harness used on Xtreme make it impossible for the ride to start without all restraints being locked in place.
ThrillJunkieUK
Anonymous

I have emailed KMG regarding this and await a reply.