Fun City Brean

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Eirdy

Basicly all the travaling rides have been sold and Richard will still be providing sooty attractions on park.

Here is an email I got from Richard:
Hi Thomas
Yes it is true -we are very pleased that Phil Booth is now the new owner of Fun City. I will be still providing the Sooty Element at the park however, and my Ghost Train is travelling with Carters full time. My brother David is emigrating to Australia. Best regards Richard
From the funfair forum:

With Fun City, Brean now owned by Phil Booth the following travelling rides have changed ownership;

Afterburner, Booster, Dodgems, Drop Tower, Jumper, Log Flume, Matterhorn, Miami, 3 Roller Coasters, Top Scan, Trabant, Twist, Waltzer & Wave Swinger.

http://www.funcitybr...y-thrill-rides/

kemperink

ThrillJunkie wrote:As I'm not a member of this site can someone please translate?

Has the House family sold the park or has Richard sold the rides and attractions? Do we know how much it sold for?

If this is true I'm gutted! Richard has transformed this park over the last few years so why would he sell up? I know the parks isn't a "gold mine" but it's not struggling either.
no doubt full details will go public soon but studt's that run barry island are looking after the place. it has been for sale for some years
Eirdy

Yeah I do hope he cares for the park as much as Richard did! :(
ThrillJunkie

This is big, sad news.

I hope the new owner will continue to operate the park as a theme park and continue to invest in the park. I will be keeping a very close eye on this change of ownership.
ThrillJunkieUK
Eirdy

Yes so will I thrilljunkie, I suppose we are a bit like fun city gods! LOL
Eirdy

Right, the Cadell bros still own Speed Wave :)
Eirdy

Not any more... Speed Wave is now owned by....

James Mellors!!!
ThrillJunkie

What the hell is going on with this park?

I see Richard is doing a lot of touring with Sooty this year. 50 Live shows this summer alone!
ThrillJunkieUK
Eirdy

Yeah, lots of shows!

I don't understand why James has brought the Tuscan when he sold his old one (Space Roller) and there must have been a good reason for the park to be sold!??!

I really will be concentrating on the close season this year, its going to be a different one!!
ThrillJunkie

The park is now owned by a company called "Booth Group" which is owned by Phil Booth.
They also own 2x Hotels, A nightclub and a health club in South Wales.
http://www.boothgroup.co.uk/index.html

I don't like the sound of this.
ThrillJunkieUK
Eirdy

I can see this park going downhill!

PS I meant TopScan, not Tuscan!

Edit: Looked at website and the word Group is even spelt wrong in some places!
ThrillJunkie

That's not a good sign if they can even get their own company name right!

I popped down this afternoon and nothing has changed just yet. The park was extremely busy with queues building on most rides! Sooty is still everywhere on park and the live Sooty shows are still going ahead (although Richard is not presenting the shows it's some other guy I've not seen before).
I've just uploaded a few photo's on to my FB Page.

I've noticed their are now two large caravans sat on the far side of Astro Storm? Any idea who is currently living onsite?
ThrillJunkieUK
Eirdy

I agree tj!

The bloke doing the show is called John Sprung and as far as I know he has had nothing to do with sooty until this year.

The caravans have been there since the end of closed season, not sure whose they are though?

One could be richards but then doesn't he live in the house behind XTreme?

What time were you there, I was there about half 1 till half two ish so must of just missed you! :)
ThrillJunkie

I'm guessing John is some kind of children's entertainer? To be fair he was quite good at presenting the show (I only managed to see 5mins).

I'm not sure where Richard is staying but I'm guessing he's not around much this summer due to his touring.

I got there around 2ish. It was only a flying visit unfortunately but had a look around. I noticed a bloke walking around with a badge saying "Safety Officer". I've never seen that before.
ThrillJunkieUK
Eirdy

Safety officer? Strange!

But coming to think of it I cant recal actually ever seeing any sort of security at fun city?!??

The safety officer thing is quite strange to be honest, not sure about what it means?

The website has a new design but it still says (c) Cadells at the bottom of the page?
cubwolf

I spoke to Richard today as part of my radio job. He was on to promote a show nearby.
I asked him off air about the park and he said he felt they had done what they could with the place and he sold it 2 weeks ago. As has been mentioned he will still licence the sooty attraction there to the new owners.
Eirdy

Thanks Cubwolf :)

as revealed on the parks facebook page, they are hosting a Joey Essex event with a competition to win a ride with him. I, will be as far away from the park as possible during this event however it shocks me as to how on earth a small seaside park can afford to host an event featuring someone whos obviously not cheap to have! Someone must know the method in the parks madness!
cubwolf

I can't imagine it's that expensive.
Our local travelling fair (Billy Bates) had him visit for a day last year.
It must have paid off though as loads of delirious girls queued up for a photo
Eirdy

Yes I have to agree, more people (teenage girls) will come to the park to see him and that means more people buy wristbands.
Jamie

Very sad to hear he has sold the park, but understandable.