Thorpe Park Resort - The Future

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Extremely Colossal

I don't know what to think about the new rides. there not going to take up too much room and there will a small queue line probably there not going to get a 30 minute queue ever. i don't really see the point of why they might be two new addition for 2017, but i cant wait to march to see what happens
Stan.H

These new additions are interesting because as much as this area is dead, I feel that Angry Birds Land is towards the end of its life-span now, as the ip in my opinion, is pretty much dead now, and the movie didn't do too at the box office good either. So that area needs a retheme, and some new kids rides, as Detonator and the Dodgems are more teen/thrill rides and the 4D cinema is the only thing for the family, and possibly the Dodgems. So I'd add those rides there instead, and maybe a small shooter dark ride, by Triotech or Sally (or even some of the ones that were shown at iappa). Nethertheless, I think they will be successful for the park (especially if well themed) as it lacks family rides full stop. But instead of them worrying about Thorpe, have they seen Altons flat collection recently? :-k
ThemeCrafter264

Being honest, angry birds will be staying until at least 2018 if it is a 5 year partnership
Justin

I can't see Angry Birds going just yet, although it was a brave IP to take back in 2014. Angry Birds 2 will spark a little interest.

It does make me wonder if Old Town will be just a filler area with a few new rides to plug the gap before a major redevelopment. If a filler for a year or two, this will take us to 2017/8. A 1 year redevelopment takes us to 2019, which could be possible with investment cycles.
It is an area that has really suffered in recent years with F&B closures, Loggers Leap and CCR going a few years back.
Owen

Angry Birds won't be going for awhile in my opinion, and if anything I wouldn't be surprised to see the area expand and get an overhaul to tie in with the movie franchise. With Angry Birds making a gross of £280,008,443 and 92p (more than Pixar's "The Good Dinosaur") and a sequel already in development for summer 2018, it'd be a very odd move from Thorpe Park to remove the area, at least for the time being.

With a bit of TLC and a few new/relocated attractions I can see Angry Birds becoming a decent family area away from the larger thrill attractions - something needed at Thorpe Park in order to bridge the age group between Rocky Express and SAW.
The Nemesis Fox

Having read about the fastly approaching hotel I have realised that the area where the shark is now will once again be free. This means this could now occupy a new coaster which has got me thinking...

I think Neptune's Kingdom needs to go and be replaced. The Beach is only open for a small amount of the season and takes up a lot of space, this along with Wet Wet Wet. And for Depth Charge; Well I think it is time for it to depart.

So with a large space of land, what would do you think should be done with this?

Personally I think A nice plaza with a dark ride or family coaster (not sure which) and a Mack Mega with a loop around the entrance bridge.
Owen

Firstly it should be noted that The Thorpe Shark Hotel isn't expected to leave until the 2020 area. In terms of what I think, I always imagined that this area would make a great place to put the station for a hyper coaster. Looking at new rides such as Mako, this smaller plaza could be perfect as the attraction could head off around the back of the park. Not only this be convenient for space but having the layout stretch could make the ride seem larger than it is.
Georgie

I've had ideas for a hyper coaster in that area for a while, mainly based on Cedar Fairs recent front gate redevelopments with rides like Fury325. That said, I am wondering what route towards the back of the park the ride would be able to take without disturbing other rides and pathways.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
MakoMania

Wouldn't it be possible to do a car park coaster like Silver Star?
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
ThemeCrafter264

It certainly wouldn't be Impossible but unlikely. I would expect, it Thorpe park ever would get an airtime coaster, I would expect something less than 200ft and probably would go around the island, but not near the entrance.
Owen

Are we all forgetting the large lake surrounding the park? :lol
Jack

Owen wrote:Are we all forgetting the large lake surrounding the park? :lol
First underwater roller coaster confirmed.
MakoMania

Owen wrote:Are we all forgetting the large lake surrounding the park? :lol
What do you mean by that? :-k
Dom

Thorpe Park is encompassed by a very large and relatively deep, i would assume, lake. I imagine it would be quite hard to build on the water given the depth of it could be an issue, considering its an old gravel pit.
MakoMania

Dom wrote:Thorpe Park is encompassed by a very large and relatively deep, i would assume, lake. I imagine it would be quite hard to build on the water given the depth of it could be an issue, considering its an old gravel pit.
I know about the lake, was just wondering what was being implied :) It may be possible to build on the lake, Mako was built about 40% over water although it is shallower. Waver Breaker is being built over some considerably deeper areas however and over 95% of the track will be over water. There is a point that can be seen on Google Earth where the car park & main island are very close together so a steel coaster could potentially stretch over that area without needing a support in the water.
Owen

Simply they have a decent amount of that lake they can build on, nothing too exciting, haha.

Of course who knows, they have a considerable amount of space all over the resort available for potential development so I wouldn't be surprised if we see some new attractions pop up all over the island over the next few years. :)
Ladyofthelake

It is worth remembering that with Thorpe being set on an island in a lake they do have to ensure that the lake remains at a certain level in order to protect both the park and local area from flooding. There is only so much in-filling they can do and I believe they are at or near that limit already. This means that for a large new attraction to open, e.g a new flume or new coaster, something of an equivalent size would have to be removed. The only area that comes to mind where they could place something without removing something else is behind Swarm Island - of course this has already been the subject of much speculation.

What this could mean is that it may force the Resort to be much more creative with the rides they put in given the restrictions.
ThemeCrafter264

Couldn't more of Thorpe Farm be removed?
TheBeast

If I remember correctly, there is an undeveloped part behind the back of the Swarm? If there was then they could make the build there, or just push further in that direction. Idk, it was a while ago but I thought there were some aerial shots of the park showing space on the extra Swarm Island and out the back of Nemesis Inferno
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
Dom

The last LTDP (I think) showed that the space behind Swarm was a potential site for a new coaster, but this was quite some time ago that that had surfaced.